Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Why is it that people in LA don't seem to mind the negative talk or don't get all upset about other teams? When the Lakers are in Boston they are treated like criminals [Celtic fans throw garbage & eggs at the bus transporting the Lakers]. But when the Celtics or any other team come to Los Angeles nobody gets all crazy!
Probably because LA has a smaller proportion of natives than anywhere else in the state, even smaller than the Bay Area? Because most people are from somewhere else, either from another country or somewhere else in the US?

There is some genuine hate for the Celtics in LA albeit NOTHING compared to the hate for the Lakers in Boston. Just like there's hate for the Patriots and Red Sox, mainly because those teams all have done well in recent years and Boston people like to throw that in your face. Then again as bad as the Giants-Dodgers rivalry is - and there have been incidents of violence related to it - it's nothing compared to the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. The sports culture of the East Coast seems more akin to the sports culture of Europe. I think this is because it's older and much more rooted. The only West Coast sports team that has a violent Eastern style sports culture is the Raiders and I think that has to do with the nature of Oakland and trying to live up to the city's image and the whole "pirate" image (and this includes the Raiders fans in SoCal and throughout the state). If there's ever a Raiders-Eagles Super Bowl on the East Coast so it's closer for the Philly fans, it'll be as nasty as an English Premiership soccer match - maybe more so because of there being more guns around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,243,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Why is it that people in LA don't seem to mind the negative talk or don't get all upset about other teams? When the Lakers are in Boston they are treated like criminals [Celtic fans throw garbage & eggs at the bus transporting the Lakers]. But when the Celtics or any other team come to Los Angeles nobody gets all crazy!
We are more civilized out here and realize that it is just a game.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,039,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We are more civilized out here and realize that it is just a game.
Exactly!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,163,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I left CA because my life there sucked.

Does anybody need a better reason than that?
I left CA because I had a good opportunity to, and I've had no regrets. But I cast no aspersions on any of my family and friends who remain there. If the day ever arrives when I can look at my investment accounts and say '$2mill + for a nice middle class home in a great location?... NO PROBLEM!' then I might seriously consider moving back. Until then, long winters and no ocean is a small price to pay for what I've received in return.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 AM

13,825 posts, read 29,831,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I left CA because I had a good opportunity to, and I've had no regrets. But I cast no aspersions on any of my family and friends who remain there. If the day ever arrives when I can look at my investment accounts and say '$2mill + for a nice middle class home in a great location?... NO PROBLEM!' then I might seriously consider moving back. Until then, long winters and no ocean is a small price to pay for what I've received in return.
I primarily left CA because:
-I wanted seasons, but also a big city
-It's too hard for somebody from a more modest background to make a go of it there.

I have no regrets. Leaving CA was the best move I ever made.

I could live without the ocean. The only way I'd move back to CA is if money isn't an issue, and I could live somewhere pretty in the mountains. But CA wouldn't be my first choice. Other than that, THEY CAN HAVE IT.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,243,311 times
$2million for a nice middle class home? Heck you could move to Ventura County and buy a place for much lower than that in a nice middle class neighborhood. I know of one North Oxnard Neighborhood that is gated and on a golf course that has homes selling in the $500G to $700G range. Just a couple years ago they were going for twice that.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times

Old 03-18-2010, 04:55 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,831,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I'd rather have the first one.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:07 PM

739 posts, read 1,843,718 times
We loved SoCal. We did NOT want to leave SoCal. But. Retirees making above the poverty-level income in SoCal are clearly not welcome.
When the state decides that retirees don't need to pay for the mistakes of the government, maybe we'll come back. We have:
Reasonably high income levels
Ability to spend money
Ability to buy homes
Income levels which would support local businesses in terms of purchases
Lack of need for expensive services like schools

'til then, people like us will take our money to other states like Oregon. They love us there and show it.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 PM

418 posts, read 486,506 times
What good is the natural terrain in LA if it has been paved and housed over?! What good is the weather in LA if your indoors all day working to afford staying there?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California