Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:18 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,156,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'd rather have the first one.
ME TOO

Was I supposed to look at that comparison and go, 'MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!' and immediately pack up the van and head for Thousand Oaks or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,795,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
ME TOO

Was I supposed to look at that comparison and go, 'MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!' and immediately pack up the van and head for Thousand Oaks or what?
That's the implication I got....

Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,076,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I left CA because my life there sucked.

Does anybody need a better reason than that?
Denver's nice, but being a heat-nut, I'm sticking to the central portions of AZ, or NM.
Depending on the outcome of my trucking career restart in November, I'm looking towards an area where there isn't a serious waiting -list issue like the local college here in Victorville.
They also have Del Taco there as well.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I don't think people are saying that. What they ARE saying is that California runs the risk of becoming very similar to parts of Mexico -- no middle class. Just wealthy, lighter-skinned landowners and their vast servant class. Of course, maybe America as a whole is heading that direction...
[url]http://freedomkeys.com/gap.htm[/url]

read that page regarding the gap of rich and poor

Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 PM

77 posts, read 182,804 times
Well there is saying so goes so goes the nation. The shrinking middle class bodes ill for the nation's future, the growing gap between rich and poor means more conflict in the future. From the 1930's and the 1970's the gap shrank. It started growing in the 70's and have never stopped. Now the top 1% have about 30% of wealth, in 1980 it was 10%.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,869,580 times
I went to orlando, fl this past january.

It's funny, I had a white cab driver picking me up at the airport. Pretty rare just seeing a regular white guy doing the job (since most that you see in cities are foreign). Turns out he use to live in san diego and he thought a 1 bedroom in san diego would be better than his life there.

Hmmmm. Just isnt much to do from may-october in florida in the mind of an ex californian. Another person I met last year missed the California mountains, florida was too flat.

Even if income isnt high, people make sacrifices to live in california that they wouldnt make otherwise. Mass white flight isnt going to happen IMO. California in 10-20 years will continue to be white, asian, middle eastern at middle to upper income levels. And low skilled, unskilled labor below it.

There are still too many draws for it to completely collapse. It'd be like the south of france, or the french coast collapsing.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,238,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I went to orlando, fl this past january.

It's funny, I had a white cab driver picking me up at the airport. Pretty rare just seeing a regular white guy doing the job (since most that you see in cities are foreign). Turns out he use to live in san diego and he thought a 1 bedroom in san diego would be better than his life there.

Hmmmm. Just isnt much to do from may-october in florida in the mind of an ex californian. Another person I met last year missed the California mountains, florida was too flat.

Even if income isnt high, people make sacrifices to live in california that they wouldnt make otherwise. Mass white flight isnt going to happen IMO. California in 10-20 years will continue to be white, asian, middle eastern at middle to upper income levels. And low skilled, unskilled labor below it.

There are still too many draws for it to completely collapse. It'd be like the south of france, or the french coast collapsing.
Exactly, the doom sayers are kind of annoying on this forum.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
Quote:
Mass white flight isnt going to happen IMO.
Somewhere out there on the internet there has to be a legitimate study on the migration trends in to and out from California which takes into account ethnicity. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure it's out there.

It may not be white people leaving as much as their birth rates aren't as high as non whites' birth rates. The overall percentage of whites may decreasing, even though the number of them is increasing.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,869,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Exactly, the doom sayers are kind of annoying on this forum.
The doomsdayers don't tell you that people will make sacrifices to live here that they wouldnt make elsewhere.

-Would you rather have a home or condo (say 2/1 or 3/2) in Orlando, or a 1 bedroom in san diego. Thats the trade off going through peoples minds. On top of crumbling schools, on top of crumbling infrastructure.

The roads and highways were modern in orlando, maybe a 7/10. Here they're 4.5/10. But people dont really care I guess.

-With white flight, I think it has to do with the birth rates declining.

California will never turn into detroit or the rust belt, because they dont have the coast and the weather.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,330,586 times
Quote:
California will never turn into detroit or the rust belt, because they dont have the coast and the weather.
There's plenty of places in the world with nice weather and scenery that are terrible places to live. Conversely, places like northern Europe and Canada have much harsher weather but people have high standards of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California