U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,316 times

Advertisements

I moved to Santa Barbara about six months ago with my husband who is attending graduate school at UCSB. Since then, I have really struggled to find employment within my field (marketing and communications). I have a bachelor's degree and several years of targeted experience in this field, so I assumed that finding a job would be moderately difficult given the current economic state, but not impossible.

I began searching for jobs about six months before moving to Santa Barbara while still employed in my hometown, but most employers were not interested in interviewing until I relocated. Since then, I have been looking for an additional six months, so basically about one year of next to nothing.

I have also noticed that the few positions I have interviewed for offer much lower salaries and benefits to those I was previously accustomed to in my former city. Is this the norm in Santa Barbara?

I would really like to stay in this field because I really enjoy what I do, and my education and experience have proven that.

This is beginning to sound like a rant, but basically I'd just like to know if it's always this challenging to find a professional job in Santa Barbara (I am also open to the idea of commuting to Ventura)? Could anyone offer some tips to perhaps tap into some opportunities in this city or shed more light into why this has been such a challenge? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM

10,374 posts, read 13,714,655 times
I know that we have been adding to our marketing dapartment in Ventura. I work for Community Memorial Health System. Not sure on current propects but it is a lead.

The employment climate in California is hard now. It can take 6 months, a year, 2 years to find work. Pay is less now than in the past. Just the nature of the market and in no way reflects the past. Things are just differant now.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 AM

471 posts, read 713,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know that we have been adding to our marketing dapartment in Ventura. I work for Community Memorial Health System. Not sure on current propects but it is a lead.

The employment climate in California is hard now. It can take 6 months, a year, 2 years to find work. Pay is less now than in the past. Just the nature of the market and in no way reflects the past. Things are just differant now.
Yes, things are much different. The labor market seems to be undergoing a permanent "shrinking" that is much different than just a downturn in a business cycle. The long-term unemployment rate shows that many people's jobs seem to have disappeared for good. CA has been hit hard by this, but it seems to be happening everywhere in the US.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 PM

222 posts, read 268,396 times
The central coast is a tough place to find employment, unfortunately. When I moved to San Luis Obispo briefly for a relationship, I had a very hard time finding a job in my field. I did find one after about 6 months of searching (about half locally, half from the South Bay), but it did not require my degree and paid under $10 an hour. Unfortunately to get work in this area you'll probably have to make a compromise and get a job that you're overqualified for, pays less, or possibly consider part-time work. Good luck, I hope you find something!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 PM

58 posts, read 150,105 times
I find Santa Barbara to be a very frustrating place to live. The cost of living is well above average yet the pay is significantly below it. I work remotely so am able to pull it off but I have no idea how the majority of people working your average job manage to live here.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 AM

10,374 posts, read 13,714,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDipNStein View Post
I find Santa Barbara to be a very frustrating place to live. The cost of living is well above average yet the pay is significantly below it. I work remotely so am able to pull it off but I have no idea how the majority of people working your average job manage to live here.
What we have noticed is that many of the kids who grew up in Santa Barbara end up moving to Oxnard or Ventura when they are grown up and decide to have families and buy homes. Its that living in a coastal community that never leaves your blood even though your pocketbook can't afford the homes in Santa Barbara. For many of them they end up with a home that they could never have purchased in Santa Barbara. When the market was hot one development in Ventura advertised almost exclusively in Santa Barbara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California