Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM

50 posts, read 159,057 times

Advertisements

...but I certainly was groped, slapped and disrespected.

I've been living in California for 20 years. For the first time in 18 or more years, I have to PAY California state income tax (when I first moved here I did not understand that tax codes and screwed up my withholding - that was promptly corrected).

Granted, I am single, (but I withhold at the higher married rate), have no kids, and no special deductions, but god damn! Every year prior to this I've gotten a refund. It may have been SMALL, but I have never had to pay.

FYI - wage-wise, I am middle class.

I did NOT miss the fact that CA collected MORE out of every paycheck than ever last year...

SO how can I have to PAY?

It is a trivial amount, under $100, and the amount is (almost) beside the point.

How is it that in the span of 1 year I went from a rebate from the state, to having to pay them AFTER they spent that year taking even more from me?

Can we blame this on tax and spend Democrats? Endless infighting between Dems and Republicans in Sacramento? Plain old ****-poor management?

What the HELL is going on in California, and when are the overburdened middle class going to stand up and say, ENOUGH!

(Note -I just talked to 2 other people at work, people who are single, no kids. They say they saw similar hits in CA state taxes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Don't forget the extra sales tax and car registration you paid this last year too.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 03-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Don't forge the extra sales tax and car registration you paid this last year too.
ffs.

As Ed McMahon used to say, 'You are corRECT, sir!'

At these rates shouldn't we be able to access sexual favors upon demand, from the state?

I mean we gotta get SOMETHING in return besides lots of sunshine.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazuemague View Post
I mean we gotta get SOMETHING in return besides lots of sunshine.
That explains it. The most hardcore of those tax and spend types are from San Francisco where there is no sunshine!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,648,459 times
If you REALLY want to know why the increase, why not just have an old and a new statement at hand and call the tax board?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,960 times
I agree with eureka1 - check your return from last year and compare it to see what changed. You say you had more state tax withheld, but did your income also go up? Maybe you missed a deduction? Don't know if you itemize, but as your mortgage goes down the interest you pay also goes down, so the deduction is less. Could that be the difference between a small refund or a small bill?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I agree with eureka1 - check your return from last year and compare it to see what changed. You say you had more state tax withheld, but did your income also go up? Maybe you missed a deduction? Don't know if you itemize, but as your mortgage goes down the interest you pay also goes down, so the deduction is less. Could that be the difference between a small refund or a small bill?
--

Aha... I am a tax ignoramus. You may have the answer there.

My income went up a fraction, my mortgage interest paid went down a fraction... but I thought mortgage interest was only claimed on the Federal return, not both. That may be it.

I'm happy with that answer.

I'm not happy with the current state of affairs in CA, though.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Whoops - nevermind, I forgot that there IS an upside to these high taxes!

I am supporting my welfare-teat sucking neighbors for instance. This woman, who does not work yet seems physically and mentally able, gets her kids' teeth fixed through Denti-Cal. Her kids are in their 20s. Last year I had an emergency root canal and needed a crown. Even with my dental insurance through work it cost me a grand.

My neighbors also got all new carpet installed by the county or the state. I heard her say to another neighbor, "Oh, WE aren't paying for this," after which she cackled like the Emperor in Star Wars.

I CANNOT afford new carpet. I'd LIKE new carpet, but my budget is kind of tight.

My neighbors also have comcast cable.

They can afford cable, but get free carpet?

Since when were cable and new carpet considered necessities?

Be blunt, forum friends... is it just ME?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM

126 posts, read 160,552 times
You're lucky I owe the IRS and State over $10,000. Why? Because I got a raise and I don't own a home. I have no idea how I'm going to pay this back.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazuemague View Post
My income went up a fraction, my mortgage interest paid went down a fraction... but I thought mortgage interest was only claimed on the Federal return, not both. That may be it.
California starts with your Federal adjusted gross income. So if you itemize on your Federal return and your mortgage interest went down, all else being equal, you'd have a higher Federal AGI. Throw in a slightly higher income and that explains paying more. California's income tax brackets have a very steep curve to them so some can easily get in a situation where their incomes goes up a little but their tax goes through the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California