Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 16,523 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am seriously considering a move to the Oakhurst,CA and or surrounding area. My main concern is there seems to be an extremely high number of Violent sex offenders there. Most of which involve children as the victims! I have done alot of research into the area and really have fallen in love with it. But this one thing ranks among the reason why I would not move there! Is it really that high of a ratio and does anyone seem to have a problem with these offenders living in the area. I work in Law enforcement as a civilian so I know way more about these kind of offenders then I care to know. It seems to be a fairly family friendly town. Yes, I am aware of how small it is but you don't know small until you know where I am coming from! A town in Arizona with about 500 people. 3000 + people is a wonderful change for me and my two kids! So am I more concerned than I should be or are the facts right on about the violent offenders there? Any more info into the town not already shared is greatly appreciated as this will be a HUGE change for my kids and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,490 times
I've lived in Oakhurst for over 35 years, maybe I can help. I've also noticed that maps of sex offenders show quite a few here in the mountains. I've also noticed that they seem to be in particular zones.

Here are my thoughts:
1. Perhaps sex offenders have difficulty living in more urban areas due to distance-from-schools regulations, etc, making this area's vastness attractive to obeying those laws.
2. This is a relatively small community, population-wise. There is a sense of taking care of each other. The deputies and other law enforcement know about their neighbors. As such, most such cases are known and probably fewer unregistered offenders stay under the radar.
3. Our local paper is diligent in reporting any such violent crimes, particularly since there are so few. They would be big news here. There were only two that I recall in the past 15 years, both of which were quickly resolved.
4. Our schools are relatively small, the teachers and parents interact and know each other from multiple connections, i.e.; shopping, church, professionally, clubs, etc. (You live in a small town, you know how that works.) So not much slips under their radar.
5. There are many organized activities for kids. The organizations themselves are diligent in fingerprint screening their volunteers before allowing them to be with children. Example: I'm in Rotary and I was screened just to allow me to pick up three senior HS honor students and bring them to a noon meeting, a distance of maybe two miles.
6. Finally, it's a small town. We have a lot to gossip about. Non-family member sex offenders doesn't seem to be a topic.
7. The community is probably about average in cases of family-member abuse, however when reported it is taken seriously by schools and local agencies.
8. I would have absolutely no hesitation in bringing up a child in this community. But there is an expectation that as a parent I would participate in the whole experience.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your honesty on this. So in big events such as a Christmas parades or little league baseball games it's safe enough there? Here in my little teeny town, I have 15 acres of land that my kids can run on and feel safe with neighbors acres away. Little League is huge for our family. I do want to live a little out of town as I have horses and other animals but not far enough away that I am in nowhere-ville which is where I currently am. You stated that most of the sex offenders live in the mountain areas. I would really be hoping that the realtors would apprise me of their whereabouts in reference to where I am looking to buy. Is your beautiful town welcoming to outsiders? I am not from a big city at least not in the last 15 years. I don't have a big city attitude. I'm a country gal looking for a new start on life and want my kids happy, healthy and safe in a nice new small town.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Are you sure you want to live in a small town where every one knows your business ? Small towns = nosey people.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 AM

My town is WAY smaller then Oakhurst! I know how to stay out of the gossip and keep my own world private! There are 500 people here in my town and everyone knows when everyone does anything. Not too long ago a man that has lived here most of his life went crazy and was shot and killed in the parking lot of one of our four gas stations. So ya, I am well aware of the small town gossip and how to stay far away from it emotionally and personally. Thanks though

Old 05-09-2010, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,224 times
I recently graduated from the high school there and I have two younger brothers in the middle school and elementary school. They both participate in several sports and activities. Theres is a nice little league program and lots of sporting activities with the schools. We also have lots of community activities like the peddlers fair, chocolate festival, and pet shows It definitely picks up in the spring time through the summer, but we do have a Christmas tree lighting in December thats a lot of fun. Also living outside the town itself does not isolate you very much. There are several areas with larger land plots, I myself had an 18 acre plot right outside of town on the main mountain (known as deadwood) but few people live close to the town, usually about 10 -15 minutes away. bit as you know, small town people are close to their neighbors, no matter how far apart they are. I moved up there about 4 years ago and had no problem settling into the community. most of the kids there have been there forever, but they are very welcoming to new kids. Most of the kids are very nice and keep there noses clean.
Don't worry about the sex offenders, everyone knows where they are and who they are and everyone looks out for everyone else's kids.
Where about where you looking to buy?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,802 times
Hi what Im concerd about is the high school out there is their alot of fight and drugs. you say the kids keep there nosies clean but i heard diffent thing about that, can any one tell me lil more about this

Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,286,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Are you sure you want to live in a small town where every one knows your business ? Small towns = nosey people.
And why would you think that? I've lived in very small towns and it wasn't like that at all.

I was just in Oakhurst a few weeks ago, went to Roundtable pizza, a lady brought a kid, he went friggin bazerk throwing the cheese and pepper shakers, went ape crazy on the salad bad, the employee's did nothing, craziest thing I ever saw, had to stay alert to dodge the flying objects.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Given the cohesiveness of the community, I wouldn't worry. Sex offenders almost have to live in rural areas since Jessica's Law passed in CA in 2006.

The vast preponderance of sex crimes against children are committed by people known to them -- friends of the family and family members themselves. Stranger sex crimes against children are relatively rare. That's why they're such big news accompanied by a great deal of sensationalism and the passage of knee-jerk, feel good, get re-elected laws.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_urtalkin2 View Post
My town is WAY smaller then Oakhurst! I know how to stay out of the gossip and keep my own world private! There are 500 people here in my town and everyone knows when everyone does anything. Not too long ago a man that has lived here most of his life went crazy and was shot and killed in the parking lot of one of our four gas stations. So ya, I am well aware of the small town gossip and how to stay far away from it emotionally and personally. Thanks though
When you're a "loner" living in a small town people will talk smack about you. Small town gossip can be quite hurtful but they have nothing else better to do. The city i live has over 52k people so its a small city but not that small compared to many. I despise nosey ass people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California