Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,448 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I have always wanted to move to California but I have never been! Lately, I have been thinking about it even more and searching areas but I need help! I want to live close to a beach, I love the beach. I'm 23 and outgoing, so I like being active. I want to move somewhere that will fit me. I also like the city. I know California is expensive and I am by no means rich but I want to explore my options, big or small.

Can anybody give me some advice? I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks!
Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,359,370 times
Take a number. You'll find the end of the line somewhere near Barstow.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 PM

609 posts, read 1,256,912 times
barstow sucks. lol

Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlw View Post
Hey all!

I have always wanted to move to California but I have never been! Lately, I have been thinking about it even more and searching areas but I need help! I want to live close to a beach, I love the beach. I'm 23 and outgoing, so I like being active. I want to move somewhere that will fit me. I also like the city. I know California is expensive and I am by no means rich but I want to explore my options, big or small.

Thanks!
Jenn
Why do you want to move to California (other than the fact that it has beaches)?

Job?
Budget?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,408,341 times
Move to California. You'll as a poor person you'll feel like it is a really expensive version of everywhere else.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,702,259 times
Quote:
Hey all!

Thanks!
Jenn
Aren't they swell?
(Charles feels like it's his duty to ask people why they want to move to California and try to convince them not to )
You need to be more specific about a few things.
What will your rental budget be?
What kind of job? (if relevant)
What kind of social scene do you want?
Nightlife? Big city?
Do you have a sense of whether or not you want to be in Southern California?
Just be more specific and you'll get (hopefully) some intelligent reply's.
The coast of California is expensive and the economic crisis has hit the state hard but where there's a will (and heart) there tends to be a way so i encourage you to stay positive (but be realistic) and don't allow the nay sayers to discourage you.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM

736 posts, read 2,288,953 times
Quote:
Hey all!

Thanks!
Jenn

As a general rule, the closer you get to the beach the more expensive the housing becomes. If you want city and beaches you can take a look at parts of Los Angeles and San Diego.

If you want to live in a dense, walkable city than think San Francisco....expect there is not much beach life up there and it's VERY expensive even by Calif. standards.

Also, you should know ahead of time that So.Calif. beaches are not like Hawaii or So.Florida.....the Pacific coast gets "COLD" water pushed down from Alaska. So you won't be jumping in the water a good 6 to 9 months of the year without a wetsuit on. Not trying to throw "cold" water on your dream but just trying to set your expectations right.

Last but not least, you should really think about what job you can do or what industry you want to work in and get training/education in that area. Unemployment is very high in Calif. right now.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
Quote:
Hey all!

Thanks!
Jenn
yes some good advise: no, you do not want to move to Ca right now unless you have thousands of dollars saved, a job lined up and a really good work background in a field that is in demand. Are you prepared for renting a 1 bedroom apt for about $1000 or more a month?

NIta

Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,585,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you prepared for renting a 1 bedroom apt for about $1000 or more a month?

NIta
That's what a 1 bedroom goes for here at a minimum, usually more and that will often get you a room above someone listening to Salsa style music, in California that would be more along the lines of Mariachi.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,241,599 times
Quote:

I am by no means rich
This is what it really comes down to. Nice areas near the beaches in California cost a lot of money to either rent or buy. Just go to Rent.com, or Apartments.com and check out the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the following areas: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Long Beach, Redondo Beach, Malibu, Oceanside, San Francisco, San Rafael, Santa Cruz, Novato, Mountain View.

The information is out there. You have a computer and Google (thanks Larry and Sergey). Do your own footwork and research and you'll begin to see how affordable living close to the coast is for you.

As a freebie, if you can't swing $1,200 - $1,500 for your own 1 bedroom apartment ($200 or so cheaper for a studio), you might be pushing your finances to live near the coast in California. You could move more inland, or rent a room inside someone's house or condo for cheaper. Also Gas, Food, and other necessities are expensive out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California