Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,937,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
We were at a big box hardware store. They have sheds that are large enough to live in. In fact, there were models available that were featured as vacation cottages! I could like that. If I ever had a piece of land, probably in an out of the way place, one of those would make for a great home.
No, it wouldn't. The materials they're made of are very toxic and. I think that a used canvas tent would make for much healthier home. I've been recently living in great comfortable yurts--which are way too expensive to build/buy--but a good canvas tent can do instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,937,855 times
Someone on here emailed me about the Yomes--by Red Sky Shelters--sort of a cross between a Yurt, traditional canvas tent and a dome tent...they seem to be priced in the same range as canvas tents and sheds mentioned here (but sheds are made of toxic stuff like plywood and pressure-treated wood and aren't really portable once assembled). Apparently, even one of the Northern Oregon state parks is offering yomes for visitors to stay now--considering the local climate it says something about quality. And they can have wood stove installed too (would these small non-EPA woodstoves be even legal in CA now? I think not anymore, but one might get away with temporary "camping" use, not sure). I love yurts (feel way better than tent cabins), but my understanding that the pricing on them is insane and similar to "little house" cabin pricing--I think the smallest yurt can run 40K in reality, installed (versus 12K or so basic quoted, off the shelf, price) if you consider all the add-ons (which are really basic required things), foundation/platform, etc.

I have a large Mountain Hardwear 6 person tent just for myself...takes minutes to set up, as it's a dome structure. I really wanted REI Kingdom barn-shaped tent but it meant spending extra $150.... or Barn by MSR--meant spending extra $500...barn-shaped tents seem to be nice and give extra head room. Some of the yurt-shaped base camp tents out there....are priced 5K--!! and they aren't even that big....I really wonder about those and I think they might charge a lot extra just for the fancy shape in vogue. And it's funny how people PAY $75-$150 to stay overnight in a yurt or tent cabin in CA--total rip off by companies like bloodsucking leech such as Delaware North (and they say about Yosemite being "overcrowded"--??--and wondering "what to do?"--arguing over Merced watershed plan... Hello! You got concessionaire running tons of tent cabins there out in the "wilderness". Mount Rainier kicked the "amenities" out of the park....so you got nice non-overcrowded park). Owning a big base camp tent + catalytic heater + the generator = win. This seems to be REALLY nice:
http://www.stuver.com/wildernest.html
Tent-RV? Would be nice. Since regular RVs are so full of formaldehyde/other toxic crap outgassing it's not healthy to be inside for even few seconds.

Last edited by alexxiz; 11-16-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM

50,055 posts, read 46,553,810 times
I spend 1/4 of the year living in tents on blm land. For nights we can't have a fire due to high fire warnings I can use a small propane heater. Now, if I could get the dang bobcats to quit calling all night as it's mating season.

I drop down once every 2 weeks for provisions. I can use my phone as a modem right in camp so I'm still connected.

Cabelas carries a great line of outfitter gear.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,301,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
if you were in manteca id tell you to sleep in the outskirts of the walmart parking lot...but other then that, i dont have much advice for you. sorry about what you're goin through...thats gotta suck. i think coyoteskye might have a good idea there though...camping would probably be a good option. you can shower at the flying j's though...most of the truck stops have showers.

I know truck stops have showers, but how does payment work? Do you pay a human or is there some sort of self-payment available (like say a payment machine/mech or card swipe)?

If I were in this sort of situation I'd hate to have to deal with a human.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,461,004 times
If you're single, unemployed and homeless I'd say go to one of the national parks. They provide uniforms, meals, housing and skills (even if they are only service industry type). I used to work in Yosemite and I often saw people in pretty dire straights move up there and turn things around for themselves.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
If you're single, unemployed and homeless I'd say go to one of the national parks. They provide uniforms, meals, housing and skills (even if they are only service industry type). I used to work in Yosemite and I often saw people in pretty dire straights move up there and turn things around for themselves.
I have never heard about that. Im sure they are limited & cant help everyone. What about the older homeless people ?

Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,461,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I have never heard about that. Im sure they are limited & cant help everyone. What about the older homeless people ?
They don't discriminate on the basis of age in employment of course. They don't have a program specifically to help the homeless and they're not for the drug/alcohol addicted or anything - they're just easy places to get employment, meals and a roof over your head quickly.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
You could rent a storage unit in one of those warehouse storage places for pretty cheap -- then store your stuff and you could stay with it -- it would be pretty safe since they keep those places locked.

For showers, I know someone who said you can easily get one in motel rooms after the guests have left and the cleaning ladies are still going room to room, often the doors are left open but you can always tell one of the cleaning ladies you just need to run back to get something you forgot and they'll open the room for you.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Sometimes on Craigslist,etc i see older used Truck campers which fit over the bed of your pickup, for about $1k- 3k . They have beds, sinks, stoves/oven,,microwave, heater, table, bathroom. Some have A/C, etc. They are a pretty good way to live out in the forest, mountains, desert. Make sure the roof doesn't leak. Your pickup should be at least 3/4 ton.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know truck stops have showers, but how does payment work? Do you pay a human or is there some sort of self-payment available (like say a payment machine/mech or card swipe)?

If I were in this sort of situation I'd hate to have to deal with a human.
Years ago when i frequently went to truckstops, you would fillup with fuel. Then you would be able to use their showers for a few bucks. Tell them where you pay for the fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California