Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

Santa Monica I hear treats homeless good.

I'd avoid run-down and lower-income areas for safety. I believe San Luis Obispo you can park your car and sleep in it without being fined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I'm in the trucking biz, although I no longer drive. Truck stops will throw in a free shower with a fill up from the commercial diesel lanes. Everyone else pays for access to the shower facilities, usually ~10 bucks per.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
This is what we use, we have another propane fired for days it's not sunny enough for heat.

Cabela's: Stearns® Outdoors Sun Shower

Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
stop by a local gym with your gym bag w/ shaving kit, soap, towel and use the rest room and take a shower

once you get in the shower nobodys going to ask questions

Old 09-12-2015, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 847 times
I just lost everything and am flat broke. Heading that way from Houston. I want to blog my adventure. I may do the couch surfing thing but as I said I'm broke. Literally 227 dollars to my name after the trip. Was wondering if finding a job is hard in California.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:22 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
If you do end up homeless, try not to let minor maint issues on your car go......one thing you don't need is for your car to break down on you

Old 09-12-2015, 07:31 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen's doing it big View Post
I just lost everything and am flat broke. Heading that way from Houston. I want to blog my adventure. I may do the couch surfing thing but as I said I'm broke. Literally 227 dollars to my name after the trip. Was wondering if finding a job is hard in California.
This is mostly dependent on what skills, prior experience you have. What have you done for work before? What kinds of education/training do you have?

Other factors:
What parts of CA will you be targeting? Some areas are simply harder to find work in than others. Even larger cities like San Diego, Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc... have fewer entry level type jobs because of the over abundance of young folks including college grads trying to make a living.

Ever thought of military service? Free room and board along with training and the GI bill can be a better life than homeless.

Derek

Old 09-12-2015, 08:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is why having strong ties with family and friends is so important. Does nobody like you enough to let you stay with them? Geesh. And it seems like you are planning to be homeless for awhile. Why? Can't you work? What is the real deal here? Nobody wants you living in your car in their city.

This is overly harsh. Aren't you the same poster who didn't want to go to FL to deal with your elderly father, and didn't want him coming to CA because you didn't want the burden.

So much for strong family ties.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Interesting thread. I've done the what if for this scenario as well.

Initially I would live in my 4X. I would remove all seats other than the front, and I would build a secure configurable enclosure in the cargo area.

Once I had been going for a while with that set up I would switch to a pick up with camper shell format, with similar situation of having a configurable secure enclosure.

Would use combo of public showers, truck stops and if still working, showers at work.

It is doable.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:47 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen's doing it big View Post
Try going to the day labor places like Labor Ready Home . You might check for the location of highway rest stops for a place to sleep in your car until you can learn from locals where you can park overnight without getting rousted by the cops. If you are going to be stuck in California for some time, get a California driver's license and apply for food stamps, a California ID will also make you eligible for food banks (a number of them won't distribute food to someone from out of the area). Check craigslist for jobs and check craigslist gigs too. One guy I knew managed to get some one day jobs on CL gigs as a mover's assistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California