Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,049,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I'm in Nor-cal, but I keep up with the Texas threads because I originally from Houston. I've seen several posts on the Austin forum saying that there are an enormous number of applications for each job opening because it has become the "hot" place to move to.

Houston is still doing good economically and that's where I'd move back to if I was going to Texas, except that my skillset is no longer viable there.

Nor-Cal (except for the Bay Area) is overall cheaper than So-Cal and I personally like it better. Just my opinion.

If you got money, anywhere can be a great place.
Nor cal is not cheaper than San Diego, except perhaps for Santa Rosa/Sonoma. Bay area proper is not cheaper than SD. But it is less than OC/LA, overall, maybe???? I'd put them at about the same, myself, with SD being the lowest of the 3 metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Nor cal is not cheaper than San Diego, except perhaps for Santa Rosa/Sonoma. Bay area proper is not cheaper than SD. But it is less than OC/LA, overall, maybe???? I'd put them at about the same, myself, with SD being the lowest of the 3 metro areas.
The Bay Area varies with location. SD is about the same as the East Bay.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 AM

491 posts, read 1,255,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I excluded the Bay Area as not being cheaper than So-Cal, but many parts of Nor-Cal are--like Sacramento Metro and areas farther north. Nor-Cal, like So-Cal takes in a lot of areas and is not just San Francisco (even though that's what a lot of people think of first).

Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I excluded the Bay Area as not being cheaper than So-Cal, but many parts of Nor-Cal are--like Sacramento Metro and areas farther north. Nor-Cal, like So-Cal takes in a lot of areas and is not just San Francisco (even though that's what a lot of people think of first).
Yeah it's the way California is "marketed" or "advertised" so to speak. The TV does a lot of that. Sounds weird but it does. Just watch car dealer commercials; in the Bay Area it's "your Northern Ca. blah blah blah" and in Los Angeles it's "your Southern Ca. blah blah blah". When one thinks Nor Cal, the Bay Area is always first 9 times out of 10 and So. Cal LA is thought of 9 times out of 10. The Bay Area is marketed as Northern Ca., nevermind Sacramento which is farther north. Los Angeles is marketed as Southern Ca., nevermind San Diego which is farther south.

I know you're wondering what in god's name I must be talking about LOL. I'm just saying when most people think of a region, it's usually the largest metro area of that region rather than the region as a whole.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,755,268 times
If you look at a map of California, San Francisco is only slightly north of the midpoint on the coast. The Bay Area would be more accurately be labeled "Central Coastal California."

Another fun fact: which city is farthest west, Los Angeles, Sacramento, or Santa Barbara? Answer: Sacramento.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM

177 posts, read 355,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah it's the way California is "marketed" or "advertised" so to speak. The TV does a lot of that. Sounds weird but it does. Just watch car dealer commercials; in the Bay Area it's "your Northern Ca. blah blah blah" and in Los Angeles it's "your Southern Ca. blah blah blah". When one thinks Nor Cal, the Bay Area is always first 9 times out of 10 and So. Cal LA is thought of 9 times out of 10. The Bay Area is marketed as Northern Ca., nevermind Sacramento which is farther north. Los Angeles is marketed as Southern Ca., nevermind San Diego which is farther south.
I would divide California into three parts.

1. Northern CA- From Oregon state line to North of the Bay Area.
2. Central CA- From the Bay Area to Point of Conception.
3. Southern CA- From Point of Conception to the Mexican border.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
If you look at a map of California, San Francisco is only slightly north of the midpoint on the coast. The Bay Area would be more accurately be labeled "Central Coastal California."

Another fun fact: which city is farthest west, Los Angeles, Sacramento, or Santa Barbara? Answer: Sacramento.
In some books on California, San Francisco is considered geographically Central California as you point out. From the Bay Area to Pt Conception really is Central California but most people draw the line from Monterey Bay south to Pt Conception as the Central Coast.

What's even amazing is that Reno is west of Los Angeles.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
I would divide California into three parts.

1. Northern CA- From Oregon state line to North of the Bay Area.
2. Central CA- From the Bay Area to Point of Conception.
3. Southern CA- From Point of Conception to the Mexican border.
I know the geography says otherwise but rarely do geographic boundaries coincide with political or cultural ones.

The term "Central California" is a relatively recent one and for whatever reason, is almost always used when referring to areas along the coast. (You don't hear Fresno being called Central Ca. very often even though geographically it's almost dead central). Basically, those areas in "Central California" are the ones who use the term most frequently; from about Santa Cruz but more often Monterey to about Santa Barbara. Anyone who's ever lived in the Bay Area knows that it solidly considers itself Northern California.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I know the geography says otherwise but rarely do geographic boundaries coincide with political or cultural ones.

The term "Central California" is a relatively recent one and for whatever reason, is almost always used when referring to areas along the coast. (You don't hear Fresno being called Central Ca. very often even though geographically it's almost dead central). Basically, those areas in "Central California" are the ones who use the term most frequently; from about Santa Cruz but more often Monterey to about Santa Barbara. Anyone who's ever lived in the Bay Area knows that it solidly considers itself Northern California.
The San Joaquin Valley\ Central Valley is definitely considered Central California [Stockton\ Modesto\ Fresno\ Bakersfield]. Also Yosemite\ Sequoia. The term, "Central California" is commonly used in Monterey & San Luis Obispo counties. Also Santa Maria is considered Central Cal even though it is actually in Santa Barbara county.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The San Joaquin Valley\ Central Valley is definitely considered Central California [Stockton\ Modesto\ Fresno\ Bakersfield]. Also Yosemite\ Sequoia. The term, "Central California" is commonly used in Monterey & San Luis Obispo counties. Also Santa Maria is considered Central Cal even though it is actually in Santa Barbara county.
Yeah I know that Santa Barbara calls itself Central Coast. I've not heard central used for inland areas often though. However I spend little time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California