Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! If you can give me any pointers at all it would be much appreciated.

My fiance just got a great job at PG&E, he works from home, as do I. We currently live just outside of Portland. We keep to ourselves, but love to go into the city. I go to tahoe every year and i love san francisco. We are moving south for a number of reasons: his job, better weather, etc.

We would like to be within 3-4 hours of the bay area (i think). We want to live in an area with at least SOME nice, friendly, open minded people. We are both quite liberal but we are not "smelly hippies"! We are both medical mj patients. We do grow absurd amounts of mj, we do however, grow absurd amounts of vegetables and flowers and pretty things. We want to live in the country, in a smaller community where we can keep to ourselves and not have to worry about neighbors or kids or anything like that. We want to live in the country. We also want to be able to go to the city; but the country living is most important. I love wine country and would love to live in a place like sonoma (i think). Would love to have around 5-10 acres. Lets see... We have two doberman pinschers. We are not interested in living in humboldt county or any of the big mj areas. Being close to a beach is nice.

I guess I should include that we do own our home in oregon. Right now we plan on renting it out, and renting in CA for at least a year. After that we will decide if we want to purchase or continue renting, right now we are just looking for some people who know CA well that can say "hey you should look at ____!" We're not on a tight budget but we do not like to waste money.

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,690,166 times
I'm thinking that you meant to say that you don't "grow absurd amounts of mj .... "?
And i'm assuming that you want enough land to grow lots of vegetables and flowers but you'd also like to grow herb medically / legally?
It sounds like various communities in Sonoma county would suit you.
And the other option (preferable to me but i don't know Sonoma county well) is various rural parts of Santa Cruz county.
S.C. is less than 2 hours to S.F. and about 4 - 4 1/2 hours to Truckee / Tahoe.
Santa Cruz area is very open, liberal, tolerant and friendly and very garden & grow friendly as well.
I've lived on a couple of properties in the county with stunning / amazing gardens.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,016 times
Haha, yes I meant to say "do not"! One thing I love about Oregon is the availability of any fresh produce and the little markets, stores, and shops. I have never been to Santa Cruz. I am going to SF next month and will make it a point to visit SC. Thank you so much for the reply!!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,690,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer0 View Post
Haha, yes I meant to say "do not"! One thing I love about Oregon is the availability of any fresh produce and the little markets, stores, and shops. I have never been to Santa Cruz. I am going to SF next month and will make it a point to visit SC. Thank you so much for the reply!!
Very good ... and when you visit really explore and don't get stuck in Santa Cruz proper and do experience the entire county.
It's a very fecund / fertile area and very beautiful with powerful nature.
Send me a direct message if you want some routes of exploration.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 34,800 times
Hello, have you ever considered the foothills outside Redding Ca? There are some great places within 30 minutes to the city that are up out of the heat. It does get hot in the summer in Redding but if you lived closer to Shingletown you would be 12-15 degrees cooler and be close enough to do your Costco Run etc.

We are approx 3.5 hours to the Bay Area and 2.1 hours to Sac International Airport.

If you want to check out some homes and price etc you can go to Redding California Real Estate-Redding Homes-530-248-5627

Best

Rick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California