Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,571,753 times

Advertisements

First time on this part of the coast (Central) and am very impressed. A few questions on Cambria area please...and some might seem dumb.
Housing seemed more affordable then other parts of SLO county, why? How do the teens do here,it seems an ideal place to live. My son loves it (13 yrs) Schools decent? Do the hills and valleys get brown like many parts of the state, it seemed so green and lush yet I hear of a water shortage. Many year round residents or is it mostly second homes ( any on the forum? ) Any preferable close by towns?
I have visited from San Diego to Crescent City yearly,(keep coming back as there is always more to see) and this area just got me. Spoke to me big time.
(I have only to visit Santa Cruz and I have covered your whole glorious coast.)
Also,Visited Big Sur ("and a fool hath said there is no God")
But,Carmel,Carmel Valley,Carmel by the Sea,Carmel Highlands
Can anyone break it down in a nutshell? Any even sliiiiightly affordable (less spendy) in the Carmel High School district? Thank you for any info.

I have met some of the nicest,most interesting people on these visits and never tire of it. However,
I hear alot of complaining of your local government.
I live in Illinois.
Trust me,You live in Flowery Rainbow Care Bear land.

I soon have to leave and I DONT WANT TO GO HOME!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,064,216 times
Cambria is a nice town, somewhat isolated and quiet. More of a touristy vacation/second home area. I love the place, but it could be limiting for children.....or great.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,676,239 times
My cousin lives in Cambria and I visit every other year or so. She has complained about the school system because the retirees who make up the bulk of population don't like paying for schools. She had to do battle to get the kid assistance with his LD but he seems to have outgrown it and is graduating from Cambria Union High with a class of 50 in June,has been accepted at Cal Poly SLO and waitlisted at UCSB so all those hours she spent working with him at home have paid off. Average home price on her block which is 'way in from the beach is $5-600K and the only job she has ever been able to find in the area is front desk/kitchen help at a B&B,this for a Phi Beta Kappa from UCB. She's applying to do census work because things are so slow. Several restaurants have closed. She'll be okay because she brought $$ to the situation. Frankly I find a town where the main industry is art galleries and lodging for Hearst Castle really b-o-r-i-n-g but my ex bought a second home there on the ocean side so some folks like it. There are also some water issues. Cute places to stay include the Olallieberry Inn and the Bluebird Motel (cute and cheap). There is always a problem of finding staff who live nearby. Not sure how much rental housing is available but is is definitely a place I would advise renting in for a while before buying. It's really a small town and you have to drive to SLO for almost everything. IF you're into the Cambria mystique you may enjoy the novels of Christopher Moore, some of which are set in Cambria. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.
It is a whole different world, so peaceful. But peaceful could very well mean boring for a kid.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,676,239 times
I think it depends on the kid. There are sports programs and exchange programs in high school,not sure what's available for youngsters. My nephew spent a few months in Argentina and goes along with a church group that builds houses in Mexico. Always had friends from right on the block.I think it's okay for kids but be watchful of the schools. Wish I could help you more.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I think it depends on the kid. There are sports programs and exchange programs in high school,not sure what's available for youngsters. My nephew spent a few months in Argentina and goes along with a church group that builds houses in Mexico. Always had friends from right on the block.I think it's okay for kids but be watchful of the schools. Wish I could help you more.

You helped me just fine thanks. I agree that being involved in xtra activities makes a huge difference. However,
Fifty kids in the graduating class is a really small school . Might be hard for a new kids to break in.Or, might get him lots of attention(he is awfully cute)
I just thought since it is reasonably close to SLO, Cambria is somewhat a "suburb" of it. It would keep it from being toooo isolated.
Used to live in Oregon, miss the West Coast and have a daughter in California.. We are always looking for our great escape (from Illinois).

Old 03-26-2010, 05:03 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,700,951 times
Why not Monterey?
Although i don't know about the high-school.
You'll be close to Carmel and Big Sur as well.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Why not Monterey?
Although i don't know about the high-school.
You'll be close to Carmel and Big Sur as well.
Thought it waaaay too crowded, at least the areas we saw. However,Didnt really give it enough of a look around to be fair.
Like the location though, your right about Carmel/Big Sur being next door.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:50 PM

17,613 posts, read 22,550,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Thought it waaaay too crowded, at least the areas we saw. However,Didnt really give it enough of a look around to be fair.

We spent our Honeymoon at Cambria Pines...Had a Great Time...

I graduated from Monterey High. Back in the days when Louies Pool Hall was still on Alvarado St. Before urban renewal.

hahaha

Lived in the Monterey area several lustrums.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:53 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,700,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
If you found Monterey too crowded then you probably wouldn't appreciate Santa Cruz (you said you haven't explored it yet) but you may like some of the other towns in the county and the county is an easy one to get around in and with a great bus system as well.
But it is expensive although i imagine that there's a better chance of finding something affordable in S.C. county as compared to Carmel.
But the high-schools may not be a good as Carmels' .... not sure about that.
I think Soquel and Aptos have fairly good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California