U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 AM

146 posts, read 193,007 times

Advertisements

The people of California need to vote yes on this!!!!

Go to Tax Cannabis 2010

Get involved and make your friends and family aware, comon California lead the nation once again!

For those of you not sure about a simple plant let me say this to you and then prove what I am saying is true.

Cannabis is good for you!

Don't believe me do you?

Ok hope you enjoy reading clinical studies as much as I do, check out..

PubMed.Gov

Then search the words Cannabinoid and Cancer and read till your hearts content.

Wait, you don't care about Cannabis and/or enjoy reading comprehensive medical research results?!

Ok.. that is um.. perfectly understandable.

Maybe you care about your health as you age or thought at one point in your life you may be affected by Cancer as my family was?

Yeah, maybe?

Ok then feel free to watch this very informative youtube video that features PhD, Robert Melamede.

YouTube - Cancer Cure - Cannabis & Cannabinoids,by Robert Melamede,PhD

He talks about overall topic of age related diseases and Cannabinoid compounds(Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol better known as THC which is the famous member of the cannabinoid compounds)in relation to a persons health and how many types of cancer cells react to these naturally occurring(found in Cannabis)chemical compounds.

Hope this post was informative for you, god I love the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,134,310 times
Sen. Boxer says no to legalizing pot because it could lead to "an increase in crime, vehicle accidents and higher costs for local law enforcement agencies."

What she really meant to say was "if I support legalizing pot I could lose my re-election bid in November."

Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 PM

457 posts, read 1,013,382 times
I think legalizing Marijuana is a mistake. Our currenty Medical Marijuana system is a joke and should be disbanded. Now if we were to argue that as long as it was well regulated for strict medical use I can agree with that use. ie: Opium. Again, I just know our Medical Marijuana idea is a joke and should be disbanded. If THC is so good why don't they take the chemical out and produce it in pill form for the medical patients? I have read that people prefer natural weed to the pill but I don't really know.

The real and underlying problem, unfortunately we're a society of people who are too weak to deal with everyday problems and most need a crutch (alcohol, weed, meth, heroin, prozac) to get through the day to day life. Pansies, that's how I feel.

If the legalization of maijuana happens I hope it is very very stricly regulated. It should be you can only smoke in your own single family home. If you live in a an apartment/ condo or other sort of connected home you should not be able to smoke it. You should not be able to smoke it on public sidewalks / roadways / in vehicles etc. If caught you should have to go to the drunk tank just like a wino. I think it's fair. There should be a strict certain amount someone could grow and posses. If children are in the household and people are caught smoking I would hope there is a law to protect the children.

Some of the annoyance with Marijuana is the smell. The smell is very potent and disgusting to a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
What is so stupid about it? It is a naturally occuring weed that seems to have a few extra qualities. Some people have set themselves to be holier than thou and have forbidden others to use it and yet they use other things that are far more potent and legal. To enforce this, you spend countless number of dollars and process them through the judicial system and in some places throw them in jail.

All this over a naturally growing weed? That seems dumb.
Are you serious? You sound like the potheads I went to high school with. I'll name a few others that are grown from the earth too: Heroin, Cocaine, Psilocybin, Peyote and I am sure there are more. I am pretty sure the only people who go to jail over Marijuana are the dealers not the users.

Think First- please don't add to already dumbed down society in California.

JS1- "I wonder who will vote against it besides cops trying to keep their arrest quotas up."

If you look there is a law regardig quotas and police officers. People who usually have a $20 sack of weed probably doesn't get arrested. As I stated previously I am sure it usually the dealers. If you ever knew most dealers on the street level are not legit and usually are felons. Why do you think cops would vote against it? I am sure it's not just so they can arrest people. I am sure it is more along the lines of they know what it does to society.

Coyoteskye- "It's my sense that it's rather far down on their list of priorities so i'm not sure you're correct.
Who will vote against it? People with fear / ignorance / attitude.
California is not without that kind.
Think Prop. 8
"

I think you show a lot of ignorance towards other peoples beliefs. To me the ignorant people are progressive/liberal and don't know how they are deteriorating our society with their beliefs.

Charles- "What happens if it is legalized and you have to take a drug test for your new job?"

I'd assume you can't get the job. I am sure some ACLU lawyer will pick that case and it will be overturned and the pothead can then get their job.

Also Think First Sen Boxer is an idiot!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
I think legalizing Marijuana is a mistake. Our currenty Medical Marijuana system is a joke and should be disbanded.
You think it is a joke because you have no need for Medical Cannabis; if you had oh say Cancer, AIDS, Hep C, Chrons, Epilepsy, MS, Fybromyalgia, degenerative spinal disease, nerve damage, brain damage(shall I go on with diseases and afflictions that are eased by Medical Cannabis?)and you needed pain, nausea, tremor, spasm, grand maul attack(Shall I go one with debilitating symptoms that are eased by Medical Cannabis?)relief without the threat of side affects or allergic reactions from pharmaceutical drugs that could possibly be fatal. Then you would be singing a different tune and if not then there is something far more wrong with you than not checking facts before making statements of opinion.

The reason you probably have taken it as a joke though, is because you see the majority of citizens in California who honestly think it should be legalized working with the system they have to get a license instead of doing what everyone including the sick has been forced to do since 1937 which is dealing with organized crime. Who by the way, also doesn't support cannabis legalization because it is 60% or more of their business in this country. Weird that you would agree with the people who are causing around 10,000 violent drug related deaths a year in and around Mexico. Oh I'm sorry was that a bit disrespectful of your views? Huh well so is telling sick people that the laws protecting and giving them help are a joke.

Quote:
Now if we were to argue that as long as it was well regulated for strict medical use I can agree with that use. ie: Opium.
No one who actually knows what they are talking about would ever compare Opium to Cannabis, they produce two totally different unrelated chemical compounds. Morphine and Heroin is made from the Opium poppy, Cannabis of any strain or hybrid cannot and will never be able to produce the highly addictive and physically destructive alkaloid compounds that Opium poppies or their chemically manufactured cousins Morphine and Heroin contain. To compare them is either ignorant or purposely misleading on any level, including their use in medical purposes, and in regards to Heroin, this compound has no medical purpose.

Quote:
Again, I just know our Medical Marijuana idea is a joke and should be disbanded.
Are you purposely trying to be disrespectful to the sick people who need Cannabis? No, yes, maybe, what you couldn't care less? Well since you want to be so right let me tell you out right that, really you just don't know. Don't try to mask blatant opinion based on no factual reading, we can tell you just don't know but don't be disheartened it is alright. After all, reliance on ignorance is one of the major factors that has kept Cannabis illegal for so long. Please by all means keep reading and maybe you will know something about the subject at the end of this thread or at least have the willpower to honestly look up the information for yourself.

Quote:
If THC is so good why don't they take the chemical out and produce it in pill form for the medical patients? I have read that people prefer natural weed to the pill but I don't really know.
This is a real question and a good one at that, yes it is true that pharmaceutical companies synthetically created Cannabinoidal based medicines including Marinol, Cesamet and a mouth spray called Sativex. These are what you are referring to and to answer your question, most people do not use them because of a few simple factors, one they are synthetic and two they only contain one or two Cannabinoid compounds. That last fact makes these medicines that are both expensive and nearly impossible to cover with health care, inferior to grown cannabis because depending on the genetic strain of the plant you can have hundreds of Cannabinoidal compounds being produced naturally, safely and for those that grow their own nearly free. Now you might wonder why hundreds of these compounds mixed together would be something wanted, the simple answer is. Because this naturally grown mixture via genetics is what gives the cannabis and its varieties so wide an effect on afflictions and their symptoms. The Synthetic drugs made from only a few compounds have very limited use for patients and their ailments, and thus logically less preferred.

Quote:
The real and underlying problem, unfortunately we're a society of people who are too weak to deal with everyday problems and most need a crutch (alcohol, weed, meth, heroin, prozac) to get through the day to day life. Pansies, that's how I feel.
Are you aware that Ronald Regan said almost the exact same thing during a speech?

I find it very disturbing that you really think people like my mother who is allergic to any pain medication stronger than ibuprofen but was born with Spina Bifida Occulta, has degenerative disc disease yet still gave birth to a healthy 7lb 2oz baby naturally which is me 29 years later. Has been in two car wrecks that fractured her spine both times, with the first resulting in a lower spinal fusion. A woman who has survived cancer three times, gone through Chemo and a hysterectomy and is still walking, weak? You really consider a person like this weak or a pansy??

No, you are the weak one and just so you know she is a ****ing living miracle!

Quote:
If the legalization of maijuana happens I hope it is very very stricly regulated. It should be you can only smoke in your own single family home. If you live in a an apartment/ condo or other sort of connected home you should not be able to smoke it. You should not be able to smoke it on public sidewalks / roadways / in vehicles etc. If caught you should have to go to the drunk tank just like a wino. I think it's fair. There should be a strict certain amount someone could grow and posses. If children are in the household and people are caught smoking I would hope there is a law to protect the children.

Some of the annoyance with Marijuana is the smell. The smell is very potent and disgusting to a lot of people.
I really hope all of these opinions on the legislation of legalized Cannabis are on par with your views of Alchohol and Tobacco, if not you are a raging hypocrite. Look at any study that compares the substances, if its real then you will know which of the three is safer for consumption.

By this point in your post I am not surprised at all that you would infringe on the legal privlidges of others to keep your bubble of convenience.

Quote:
Are you serious? You sound like the potheads I went to high school with. I'll name a few others that are grown from the earth too: Heroin, Cocaine, Psilocybin, Peyote and I am sure there are more. I am pretty sure the only people who go to jail over Marijuana are the dealers not the users.

Think First- please don't add to already dumbed down society in California.
Do you know anything about any of those substances you just mentioned? Oh never mind you gave us the answer already, you obviously don't so let me break it down for you again.

Heroin and Cocaine are man made, they do not grow from anything at all Heroin is synthetically created from Morphine and Cocaine is produced through a chemical isolation process. Papaver somniferum aka the Opium poppy and Erythroxylum coca aka the Coca plant, do grow naturally but do not naturally produce Heroin and Cocaine. Psilocybin is produced naturally by mushrooms found around the world; Peyote is an extremely slow growing specimen of cactus containing a spectrum of phenethylamine alkaloids, with the main concentration of these types of alkaloids being Mescaline, an alkaloid compound found in a large variety of cactus growing both in north and south America.

As far as possession arrests:
Police arrested an estimated 872,720 persons for cannabis violations in 2007, the highest annual total ever recorded in the United States, according to statistics compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Of those charged with cannabis violations, approximately 89 percent, 775,137 Americans were charged with possession only. An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds.

Source - Federal Bureau of Investigation - How To, Use Our Resources

Learn facts first, then think about it!

Quote:
If you look there is a law regardig quotas and police officers. People who usually have a $20 sack of weed probably doesn't get arrested. As I stated previously I am sure it usually the dealers. If you ever knew most dealers on the street level are not legit and usually are felons. Why do you think cops would vote against it? I am sure it's not just so they can arrest people. I am sure it is more along the lines of they know what it does to society.
First of all, perhaps you should study the Nixon administration and how they viewed the connection of cannabis to anti-war protesters. Or more specifically on the subject of collar quotas, one of the best places that sets an example of this happening is the state of New York; feel free to look it up for yourself.

Second, not all officers are disingenuous about the toll that cannabis prohibition has taken on our great country. Take LEAP for example, some of the worlds best law enforcement veterans are part of this global organization dedicated to ending marijuana prohibition before it kills another person and/or wastes another tax payer dollar.

Quote:
I think you show a lot of ignorance towards other peoples beliefs. To me the ignorant people are progressive/liberal and don't know how they are deteriorating our society with their beliefs.
Would you care to elaborate on that "our society" in another thread?

I think you show a lot of ignorance and disrespect in general to the patients who need Cannabis and those who have taken the time to learn the facts about Cannabis prohibition in order to self educate and know the truth about the issue.

Quote:
I'd assume you can't get the job. I am sure some ACLU lawyer will pick that case and it will be overturned and the pothead can then get their job.

Also Think First Sen Boxer is an idiot!
Or how about said person take the logical route and use a test clean product that has been proven safe and effective for urine drug screening; there are very few companies that would spring to have blood or hair tested which cannot be fooled by those products. If you cannot afford said product, get someone you know who is of the same gender and is clean of delta-9 in their system and have them give you a cup of frozen urine. Or take the company to civil court and argue your case with legal representation; court decisions can help change the law and provide a favorable case history in similar cases that other people bring to civil litigation.

Quite frankly TAI. you and Sen. Boxer deserve each other, if not, then who else will keep partisan ignorance and dishonesty alive?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,452,100 times
Quote:

No, actually, i'm quite aware of other peoples beliefs.
And i have to live with the results of those beliefs which is often quite a drag.
I have some "weaknesses" but ignorance isn't one of them .... course it's all relative.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 AM

305 posts, read 685,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppininja View Post
You think it is a joke because you have no need for Medical Cannabis; if you had oh say Cancer, AIDS, Hep C, Chrons, Epilepsy, MS, Fybromyalgia, degenerative spinal disease, nerve damage, brain damage(shall I go on with diseases and afflictions that are eased by Medical Cannabis?)and you needed pain, nausea, tremor, spasm, grand maul attack(Shall I go one with debilitating symptoms that are eased by Medical Cannabis?)relief without the threat of side affects or allergic reactions from pharmaceutical drugs that could possibly be fatal. Then you would be singing a different tune and if not then there is something far more wrong with you than not checking facts before making statements of opinion.

The reason you probably have taken it as a joke though, is because you see the majority of citizens in California who honestly think it should be legalized working with the system they have to get a license instead of doing what everyone including the sick has been forced to do since 1937 which is dealing with organized crime. Who by the way, also doesn't support cannabis legalization because it is 60% or more of their business in this country. Weird that you would agree with the people who are causing around 10,000 violent drug related deaths a year in and around Mexico. Oh I'm sorry was that a bit disrespectful of your views? Huh well so is telling sick people that the laws protecting and giving them help are a joke.

No one who actually knows what they are talking about would ever compare Opium to Cannabis, they produce two totally different unrelated chemical compounds. Morphine and Heroin is made from the Opium poppy, Cannabis of any strain or hybrid cannot and will never be able to produce the highly addictive and physically destructive alkaloid compounds that Opium poppies or their chemically manufactured cousins Morphine and Heroin contain. To compare them is either ignorant or purposely misleading on any level, including their use in medical purposes, and in regards to Heroin, this compound has no medical purpose.

Are you purposely trying to be disrespectful to the sick people who need Cannabis? No, yes, maybe, what you couldn't care less? Well since you want to be so right let me tell you out right that, really you just don't know. Don't try to mask blatant opinion based on no factual reading, we can tell you just don't know but don't be disheartened it is alright. After all, reliance on ignorance is one of the major factors that has kept Cannabis illegal for so long. Please by all means keep reading and maybe you will know something about the subject at the end of this thread or at least have the willpower to honestly look up the information for yourself.

This is a real question and a good one at that, yes it is true that pharmaceutical companies synthetically created Cannabinoidal based medicines including Marinol, Cesamet and a mouth spray called Sativex. These are what you are referring to and to answer your question, most people do not use them because of a few simple factors, one they are synthetic and two they only contain one or two Cannabinoid compounds. That last fact makes these medicines that are both expensive and nearly impossible to cover with health care, inferior to grown cannabis because depending on the genetic strain of the plant you can have hundreds of Cannabinoidal compounds being produced naturally, safely and for those that grow their own nearly free. Now you might wonder why hundreds of these compounds mixed together would be something wanted, the simple answer is. Because this naturally grown mixture via genetics is what gives the cannabis and its varieties so wide an effect on afflictions and their symptoms. The Synthetic drugs made from only a few compounds have very limited use for patients and their ailments, and thus logically less preferred.

Are you aware that Ronald Regan said almost the exact same thing during a speech?

I find it very disturbing that you really think people like my mother who is allergic to any pain medication stronger than ibuprofen but was born with Spina Bifida Occulta, has degenerative disc disease yet still gave birth to a healthy 7lb 2oz baby naturally which is me 29 years later. Has been in two car wrecks that fractured her spine both times, with the first resulting in a lower spinal fusion. A woman who has survived cancer three times, gone through Chemo and a hysterectomy and is still walking, weak? You really consider a person like this weak or a pansy??

I really hope all of these opinions on the legislation of legalized Cannabis are on par with your views of Alchohol and Tobacco, if not you are a raging hypocrite. Look at any study that compares the substances, if its real then you will know which of the three is safer for consumption.

By this point in your post I am not surprised at all that you would infringe on the legal privlidges of others to keep your bubble of convenience.

Do you know anything about any of those substances you just mentioned? Oh never mind you gave us the answer already, you obviously don't so let me break it down for you again.

Heroin and Cocaine are man made, they do not grow from anything at all Heroin is synthetically created from Morphine and Cocaine is produced through a chemical isolation process. Papaver somniferum aka the Opium poppy and Erythroxylum coca aka the Coca plant, do grow naturally but do not naturally produce Heroin and Cocaine. Psilocybin is produced naturally by mushrooms found around the world; Peyote is an extremely slow growing specimen of cactus containing a spectrum of phenethylamine alkaloids, with the main concentration of these types of alkaloids being Mescaline, an alkaloid compound found in a large variety of cactus growing both in north and south America.

Police arrested an estimated 872,720 persons for cannabis violations in 2007, the highest annual total ever recorded in the United States, according to statistics compiled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Of those charged with cannabis violations, approximately 89 percent, 775,137 Americans were charged with possession only. An American is now arrested for violating cannabis laws every 38 seconds.

First of all, perhaps you should study the Nixon administration and how they viewed the connection of cannabis to anti-war protesters. Or more specifically on the subject of collar quotas, one of the best places that sets an example of this happening is the state of New York; feel free to look it up for yourself.

Second, not all officers are disingenuous about the toll that cannabis prohibition has taken on our great country. Take LEAP for example, some of the worlds best law enforcement veterans are part of this global organization dedicated to ending marijuana prohibition before it kills another person and/or wastes another tax payer dollar.

I think you show a lot of ignorance and disrespect in general to the patients who need Cannabis and those who have taken the time to learn the facts about Cannabis prohibition in order to self educate and know the truth about the issue.

Or how about said person take the logical route and use a test clean product that has been proven safe and effective for urine drug screening; there are very few companies that would spring to have blood or hair tested which cannot be fooled by those products. If you cannot afford said product, get someone you know who is of the same gender and is clean of delta-9 in their system and have them give you a cup of frozen urine. Or take the company to civil court and argue your case with legal representation; court decisions can help change the law and provide a favorable case history in similar cases that other people bring to civil litigation.

Quite frankly TAI. you and Sen. Boxer deserve each other, if not, then who else will keep partisan ignorance and dishonesty alive?
You got to it before I did. Thank you!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,380,953 times
Seems to me that all the $$ being wasted on pot eradication could be better spent securing the southern border.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
You got to it before I did. Thank you!
No problem, glad to give honest information any and every time it is needed.

Hope us out of state people watching can count on the residents of California to do what is right and get local support really flowing for the bill, gotta be active about this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Seems to me that all the $$ being wasted on pot eradication could be better spent securing the southern border.
That would certainly be another benefit of this legislation passing. With all the money saved in the budget currently being spent on anti-cannabis law enforcement, plus the annual gross tax income in the tens of billions. Not to forget the direct link between the two topics facing your state/our nation.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM

457 posts, read 1,013,382 times
I am sorry to hear about your mother and I am glad she is still around for you. You did not understand what I wrote.

"Now if we were to argue that as long as it was well regulated for strict medical use I can agree with that use."

Does that not say for medical use? I thought it did. Since you live in Minneapolis you are not aware of the problems in California. No one needs a legitimate illness to obtain a medical marijuana card. We should have very strict measures to ensure patients need their "medicine" legitmately. I feel this way about a lot of things ie: section 8, welfare, WIC and any other goverment type of handout. For medicine it bothers me to think of all the people who use "back pain" to get pain med's knowing damn well they don't have true back pain. I think you know the difference in this on your mothers account. I think a lot of people have a "get everything that is free" mentality. That needs to stop. Since you're keen on California problems, notice our local and state debts? I know fraud doesn't account for all of it but it is a major problem.

You can tell me all about the research you have done about Medical Cannabis but I will stick to my view based on personal experiences. I have many first hand accounts.

I am impressed that Ronald Regan and I have almost similar views on that. I was unaware that it was similar to a speach he gave.

I know the facts about the drugs I listed that is why I listed them. Thanks again for pointing that out.

"I really hope all of these opinions on the legislation of legalized Cannabis are on par with your views of Alchohol and Tobacco, if not you are a raging hypocrite. Look at any study that compares the substances, if its real then you will know which of the three is safer for consumption"

Yes, I don't care for any of them. I don't think any of them are good for the user and not good for people around them either. Alcohol and Tobacco are fairly well regulated right now. Like I mentioned before people are weak and will abuse just about anything to not have to deal with reality.

Aren't these all opinions anyways? Thanks. I will let you think I'm weak too, since it is, your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppininja View Post

Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I am sorry to hear about your mother and I am glad she is still around for you. You did not understand what I wrote.

"Now if we were to argue that as long as it was well regulated for strict medical use I can agree with that use."

Does that not say for medical use? I thought it did. Since you live in Minneapolis you are not aware of the problems in California. No one needs a legitimate illness to obtain a medical marijuana card. We should have very strict measures to ensure patients need their "medicine" legitmately.
Well thank you TAI, I am glad she is around as well. Perhaps I owe you an apology for being curt.

Please though Let me be clear that your last post was perfectly understood, I just don't agree with your opinions that ignore fact and logical thought while instead relying on your personal preferences. Yes you are correct that I currently live in MN, however if you bothered to check my profile(no one does that lol )you would have seen that I listed California as one of my previous places lived. In fact the only reason for moving back was to be the primary care giver to my mother, who being tough as a carbon steel nail can't lift her bags of groceries or do her laundry.

I've seen first hand people carrying cards illegitimately but, even you must concede they only do so to avoid dealing with those dealers you are so vehemently against. I hope you understand that Millions of people who smoke cannabis generally share your opinion about drug dealers, who as a majority are connected to violent gangs and organized crime. Which are a bigger drain on moral fiber and legislative budgets, than Cannabis will ever be when legalized. You must place blame for the problems of society where it is deserved and if you want to speak honestly. People who don't care at all about their fellow human being while looking for a quick buck or way to power or control; have surely caused many more problems than a plant that wouldn't(I assume)choose to be cut down in the first place.

Cannabis is merely a means to an end for these people who would rather sell anything/everything to children all day long or even kill, than earn an honest living. You must also concede that just because laws exist doesn't mean people will obey them, if humans in general had such a mindless lack of free will that they fully obeyed every single law ever created; the world would be an infinitely worse place than it is now. So of course you cannot expect people to follow the laws even during the majority of time. Especially with laws that make little logical sense when compared to the cost of enforcement and realistic damage to society, I hope you could agree with that at the very least. Now given a dynamic choice in breaking a law, people tend to take the less dangerous and harmful path for both the purposes of self and societal preservation. People for the huge majority after all, do have moral fiber like yourself; we just choose to draw the line at a different place in the proverbial sand. For many years this meant to cannabis users choosing one of two options; dealing with organized crime and in some cases sociopaths which is the easiest but not safest method, or growing your own outdoors or in, which is the safest but not easiest method and in many cases simply not a choice for people. Both of these options are illegal under current state and federal laws, with growing being the bigger penalty that carries much more jail time and fines. However since the medical cannabis laws have come into acceptance with law enforcement, people who would break the law regardless have a much safer and even socially productive option than the two they had previously.

Now tell me honestly(hypothetically speaking of course since you seem to be the epitome of purity)if you smoked cannabis and had the choice between using a legislative system set up that will protect you from unjustified prison sentencing terms and allowed you to safely obtain cannabis for personal use(no one uses the system to resell since most dispensaries match or are higher priced than street value)what route would you take? Would you support organized crime and gangs that kill people and suck up the precious budget money you mention so much or, would you go to a doctor and support his means of living and then use a taxed dispensary with the license that protects you from the prison system which could very well ruin your life and/or get you killed? Personally I would much rather see you safely paying taxes than being a tool to waste tax money and abused in prison by people who belong there for simply smoking or possessing said cannabis.

Those aspects of the issue aside, I'd like to talk also about an underlying topic/consequence that would surely result from the system being modified for stricter regulations and obtainment. This has been proven time and again that the more strict regulations you hold in regards to a patients medical care the harder it is for the actual patients to get said medical care. I know many people(including my dear ol ma)that have been caused a great deal amount of stress, on top of their already unhealthy condition because of over zealous medical treatment regulations; this obviously applies not only to medical cannabis licensing.
Quote:
I feel this way about a lot of things ie: section 8, welfare, WIC and any other goverment type of handout. For medicine it bothers me to think of all the people who use "back pain" to get pain med's knowing damn well they don't have true back pain. I think you know the difference in this on your mothers account. I think a lot of people have a "get everything that is free" mentality. That needs to stop.
While I will agree with you that there is abuse in those social service programs and surely all social services paid for by the government. I want it to be clear that no one is getting a free hand out on the subject of medical cannabis; in this country there are less than 10 people who get their cannabis supply from the government and those few are getting it from the federal government. No public medical coverage or care will provide this from the state and all cannabis obtained are either through dispensaries, home growing or street trafficking. Which renders illegitimate medical cannabis use and fraudulent use of social services two entirely different subjects. We need to stay focused on one subject if an honest discussion is to be had in regards to the eventual legalization of cannabis.

People pay or medical insurance covers(if said person has public coverage no cost to the state is changed by them going to ask for a license)to see a doctor and go because they have health issues realistic or not; people pay to have the license printed and people pay out of pocket to obtain their cannabis with taxes involved at every step. In many public coverage cases their medical cannabis use legitimate or not, saves state health funds because they do not need to have or ask for other multiple prescribed pain medications which are paid at least in partial by their health care plans including the public coverage programs.
Quote:
Since you're keen on California problems, notice our local and state debts? I know fraud doesn't account for all of it but it is a major problem.
The amount of money that Cannabis licensing fraud costs the state of California, would be a fraction in the single digits when compared to the total amount earned in taxes from over the counter sales, the amount saved in those fraud cases not happening in the first place and the budget of anti-cannabis law enforcement. I would even be willing to say that right now the state earns much more in taxes from licensing and dispensaries than what is spent on social fraud in relation to health care.

I'd say everyone is familiar with California budget debt, it is famous by this point and an embarrassment I'd imagine to the citizens of your fine state. So why would you want to oppose legislation that would not only earn 10's of billions of dollars in tax revenue but also save billions in law enforcement and state/federal prison budgets all the while creating a new multi-billion dollar market that the citizens can use to lower state unemployment rates which would save even more money from the UI coffers?

Do you really want to waste this enormous opportunity to fiscally help California because of personal preference?
Quote:
You can tell me all about the research you have done about Medical Cannabis but I will stick to my view based on personal experiences. I have many first hand accounts.

I am impressed that Ronald Regan and I have almost similar views on that. I was unaware that it was similar to a speach he gave.
Everyone is entitled to their view however unrealistic, illogical or selfish it may be.

Yes he has a lot of funny quotes, and was a great public speaker..
I personally like to quote John Adams like this one, "Facts are stubborn things."
Quote:
I know the facts about the drugs I listed that is why I listed them. Thanks again for pointing that out.
I'm sorry but what you said about those substances just reeked of ignorance. Could be wrong of course but saying Heroin grows from the ground is the equal to saying promethium is a natural resource. Really, that and the other references were like an eight hundred pound gorilla sitting in the living room.
Quote:
Yes, I don't care for any of them. I don't think any of them are good for the user and not good for people around them either. Alcohol and Tobacco are fairly well regulated right now. Like I mentioned before people are weak and will abuse just about anything to not have to deal with reality.
Yes, people don't enjoy true reality do they? Course that notion can be held to not just substance abuse.
Quote:
Aren't these all opinions anyways? Thanks. I will let you think I'm weak too, since it is, your opinion.
No the things we are talking about for the most part are not opinion, they are facts and in regards to the opinion part of things I tend to find more enjoyment and self fulfillment by basing my opinion on certifiable fact.

Seems my ass gets bitten less that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California