Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,523,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
UPDATE:

We gave up our efforts to transfer to California. While my wife studied very hard for the exam, we submitted letters from IL, AZ, and CO board of pharmacies, college transcript, and all the rest of required documents along with the fee to the CA board. We waited for more than a month for their response. Then we got a form letter stating that 1) they haven't received some of the required documents, and 2) the college transcript has to be sent by the school, not through us.

So, once again, we did everything they asked for, including the arrangement to have the school send the transcript directly to the CA board. We waited for another month. We received another form letter from them -- identical to the first one. Apparently they can't find the documents we submitted. All the efforts for nothing... They gave us end of July as the deadline for re-submitting everything or else we'd have to start the whole process again, including the transfer fee. We decided to give up, instead, as we fear the result would be the same.

Since then my father passed away, and it was hard explaining to my 76 year-old mother after the funeral why we can't move closer to her in San Diego to look after her.
Sorry to hear that. We really need more taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,341 times
Bureaucracy of CA...the most politically corrupt state in the union, the most bankrupt state in the union...the most governmentally regulated state in the union...and home to Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, and Jerry Brown. I am a pharmacist in Texas, looking to move to Colorado or New Mexico. Why would anyone want to do anything other than VISIT California?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM

943 posts, read 1,315,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBigHitter View Post
Bureaucracy of CA...the most politically corrupt state in the union, the most bankrupt state in the union...the most governmentally regulated state in the union...and home to Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, and Jerry Brown. I am a pharmacist in Texas, looking to move to Colorado or New Mexico. Why would anyone want to do anything other than VISIT California?
You had to reply to a two year old thread just to say that?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,006,487 times
Quote:

Thank you for imparting your great wisdom Mr. One Post. Yeah, I'm sure no other state is anywhere near as corrupt as CA. ...Illinois and New Jersey immediately come to mind.

I do agree with your last sentence. We lifelong residents wish people would just visit instead of coming here to stay and overcrowding our state.

I propose a new forum rule: Posters who have no actual personal factual knowledge should not be allowed to post here attempting to educate people who actually live here.

Amongst the idiotic politics is an amazingly beautiful and diverse (not just culturally, but in every possible way) place to live. Myself and many others have managed to carve out nice lives for ourselves here.

I think I'm going to head over to the Texas forums now to bash their state.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,398,644 times
The one thing that is not accurate in this thread is the folks who say that CA has the highest standards. This is total BS...especially in the medical profession.

CA may have a lot of red tape to go through in order to obtain your license but it has nothing to do with high standards.

I have seen the worst standards in my entire career upon moving here. It prompted me to become a consultant to help change this...it is going to take 15-20 years to undo what has been done.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,341 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Thank you for imparting your great wisdom Mr. One Post. Yeah, I'm sure no other state is anywhere near as corrupt as CA. ...Illinois and New Jersey immediately come to mind.

I do agree with your last sentence. We lifelong residents wish people would just visit instead of coming here to stay and overcrowding our state.

I propose a new forum rule: Posters who have no actual personal factual knowledge should not be allowed to post here attempting to educate people who actually live here.

Amongst the idiotic politics is an amazingly beautiful and diverse (not just culturally, but in every possible way) place to live. Myself and many others have managed to carve out nice lives for ourselves here.

I think I'm going to head over to the Texas forums now to bash their state.
I have 3 neighbors within 6 homes on my block that are Cali -Transients. They are all in agreement with my views...or maybe, they are just being nice.
Peace, I meant no harm. California is beautiful, and that new word "diverse" is sooo overused. Why do we have to divide folks by skin pigmentation?
But if you wanna go there, my wager is that California will be 50% Hispanic before Texas will. Good luck running with the "Obama" mentality.
BTW, Texas just received accolades for having the lowest unemployment rate in the nation...6.2%

Peace, I meant no harm.

"The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look."

The long-running exodus from the cash-strapped Golden State is an old story, but a new study by The Manhattan Institute finds that the biggest beneficiaries of the population drain are Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Georgia and South Carolina. Lower cost of living, less government debt and a more business-friendly culture are the main drivers, according to the study.
"States that have gained the most at California’s expense are rated as having better business climates," the study concluded.
The report found that since 1990, the state has lost nearly 3.4 million residents through migration to other states, like Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado.
There are many reasons for the exodus, including economic hardship and population density, according to the study, titled "The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look."[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM

409 posts, read 952,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
The one thing that is not accurate in this thread is the folks who say that CA has the highest standards. This is total BS...especially in the medical profession.

CA may have a lot of red tape to go through in order to obtain your license but it has nothing to do with high standards.

I have seen the worst standards in my entire career upon moving here. It prompted me to become a consultant to help change this...it is going to take 15-20 years to undo what has been done.
I agree with you on that. Additionally, there are various articles that discuss the deterioration of enforcement actions by the California Medical Board. Agencies charged with protecting the public do not operate in a vacuum and are subject to the effect of powerful, well funded professional organizations and associations who have considerable political influence.

However, sit in on the Board of Pharmacy's public session and, for the most part, you'll see an agency that seeks to fulfill its mission of putting the public's interest first. It's not uncommon to regularly find license suspensions or licenses revoked in disciplinary actions against pharmacists. If we had a medical board that was more pro consumer I think it would definitely benefit all.

As far as the red tape of obtaining a pharmacist license in California there is one big obstacle that's been removed. For many years California would not accept the national pharmacist license exam instead requiring pharmacist candidates to pass a California license exam. For various reasons the passing rate for out of state candidates was low (with the exception of certain pharmacy schools out of state whose emphasis for the type of role pharmacists should be trained for was similar to California...no surprise there). Professional associations and representatives of industry/retail were at odds about adopting the national exam or continuing with the California only exam. Legislation was finally passed and enacted in 2004 which substituted the California exam with the national exam.

From what I understand pharmacists salaries don't vary greatly from region to region (but I could be wrong) and I believe one poster on this thread practicing out of state is saving money to buy close to the beach. That's probably a smart move if you live in a low cost state and want to move to California...you can build up a sizable down payment.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM

409 posts, read 952,465 times
Quote:
I have 3 neighbors within 6 homes on my block that are Cali -Transients. They are all in agreement with my views...or maybe, they are just being nice.
Peace, I meant no harm. California is beautiful, and that new word "diverse" is sooo overused. Why do we have to divide folks by skin pigmentation?
But if you wanna go there, my wager is that California will be 50% Hispanic before Texas will. Good luck running with the "Obama" mentality.
BTW, Texas just received accolades for having the lowest unemployment rate in the nation...6.2%

Peace, I meant no harm.

"The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look."

The long-running exodus from the cash-strapped Golden State is an old story, but a new study by The Manhattan Institute finds that the biggest beneficiaries of the population drain are Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Georgia and South Carolina. Lower cost of living, less government debt and a more business-friendly culture are the main drivers, according to the study.
"States that have gained the most at California’s expense are rated as having better business climates," the study concluded.
The report found that since 1990, the state has lost nearly 3.4 million residents through migration to other states, like Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado.
There are many reasons for the exodus, including economic hardship and population density, according to the study, titled "The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look."[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
We have a new pharmacist from Texas. Of the candidates who applied two were from Texas. Whole family is thrilled to be in California. I mean 1.5 hours from the beach, 1 hour away from snowboarding, 15-20 minutes away from kayaking, rafting, boating. Wineries, excellent schools. Nearby forested foothills

The economy has been pretty depressed but lately it looks like things are turning around in a big way. Stores full of shoppers (it's been a while since I had to hustle to the next available parking spot), Home values have shot up and inventory is down to about a month-month and a half.

I knew Texas had no state income tax but was shocked to learn about the property taxes...I mean 3.5-4% for property tax especially for higher end homes above 500,000 that is a big chunk of change compared to California's 1-1.25% tax rate

Pharmacist has done the math and is aware of California's state income tax rate... Still no regrets

I'm sure Texas is a wonderful place to live...it just depends on what budget and lifestyle suits you.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 AM

341 posts, read 704,684 times
Sounds like you're SOL. If you wanna practice in any state you need to get your license from that state board and jump through all their hoops. Be it fees, exams, transcripts (official), or other. And yes, some state boards have time criteria as far as how long ago after you graduated will they still accept your degree or board exams etc. Although some boards do allow a " grandFathering" approach to get licensed if you hold an active license in another state With similar scope.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 PM

256 posts, read 613,706 times
Quote:
BTW, Texas just received accolades for having the lowest unemployment rate in the nation...6.2%[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Source Please? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas ranks 16th for unemployment. North Dakota is still number one for the lowest unemployment. Unemployment Rates for States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California