Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:24 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,538,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Is there such a place anymore in CA. you can life with low population, privacy, seclusion with little or no traffic?
Almost forgot that's affordable?
Move to Benicia, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,929,361 times
to the op try looking at markleeville, sheep ranch, mountain ranch, rail road flat, arnold. those areas are beautiful and pretty isolated.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:29 PM

473 posts, read 1,697,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
In CA, close to Los Banos & Santa Nella or Gustine.

Off I-5, on hwy 152 before going over the Pacheco Pass.

33 cuts over to Santa Nella to I-5.

We caught lots of stripers & catfish in the Delta/Mendota canal & CA Aquaduct. Years ago we would camp parked alongside the canals.

You can drive most of the way, along the Delta/Mendota canal, from Tracy to Firebaugh. You have to take a couple little detours close to Tracy, & get back by the canal . Catfish & stripers up to 15lbs back in the ol days. Fished a lot at night, bungied the pole to a holder & put on a bell to rod tip.

catch some bigg'uns.
That's pretty far from the San Francisco Bay area. I wonder if the fishing is still good there as I'm sure things have changed and not for the better.
The ol days were great days 15 lbs. is a great size.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Move to Benicia, CA.
I would love to but that's high dollar

Old 04-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
to the op try looking at markleeville, sheep ranch, mountain ranch, rail road flat, arnold. those areas are beautiful and pretty isolated.
I have heard of Markleeville but don't know where that or Arnold is or which county.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,218,225 times
Jaada is talking about Calaveras County, but Markleeville is the county seat of Alpine county and located on the eastern side of the Sierras.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times
Quincy in Plumas county Official site for travel and visitor information for Plumas County, Northern California

Old 04-21-2010, 04:40 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Quote:
I remember 20 or more years ago fishing down in Monterey was good but haven't been there since. Moss Landing I haven't tried if I remember correctly isn't that by a lighthouse right off of hwy 1?

Off the surf the common lures are pencil poppers and micki **** but it gets tiresome casting over and over so bait fishing works.

From Monterey going north is Seaside, Fort Ord, Marina, then Moss Landing. We used to catch Striped Bass by the mouth of the Salinas River with Pileworms.

Pileworms live in the sandy sloughs. We used to get em in the Moss Landing slough side of the bridge.

Lustrums ago, at night we used to get crab on Monterey Pier & Moss Landing Pier.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,400,492 times
Quote:
I would love to but that's high dollar
Then maybe this is better suited to your, um, "budget". It's up near Redding on the Sacramento River, and hey, you can fish!

http://www.grimesboatlanding.com/images/grimes-boat-landing-rv-park-2l.jpg (broken link)
Grimes Boat Landing & RV Park (http://www.grimesboatlanding.com/rv-boat-landing.html - broken link)

Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,429,426 times
Quote:
How about Quincy in Plumas Co? or Paradise which I believe is in Butte Co?

Rio Vista seems like a small town.

Quincy's pretty nice...I have family nearby in Portola(going back 150 years in the region) and in regards to Plumas Country you could hardly find a quieter, more peaceful area of California. It's kind of what the rest of the Sierra was like maybe 100 years ago. Quincy has a few good restaurants, only time it gets crowded is during the Sierra Nevada Music Festival in July. I think there are only a couple stoplights in the whole county.

There are some nice small towns around the Eureka-Arcata area---although it feels too isolated for some people. Mt. Shasta is a pleasent town as well, it gets some tourists but nothing too bad.

What about Willits up in Mendocino County? Always seemed nice, not sure how expensive it is--although a lot of the economy is focused on growing a certain herb...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California