Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:47 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,514,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Jaada is talking about Calaveras County, but Markleeville is the county seat of Alpine county and located on the eastern side of the Sierras.

I don't know about now but around Angel's Camp used to be a friendly area. I used to fish Melones & New Hogan, Don Pedro too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Then maybe this is better suited to your, um, "budget". It's up near Redding on the Sacramento River, and hey, you can fish!

Grimes Boat Landing & RV Park (http://www.grimesboatlanding.com/rv-boat-landing.html - broken link)

We used to camp&fish at Lake Oroville too. Had lots of Fun & Great memories from thar.

Whiskeytown Lake also.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,540,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
I would love to but that's high dollar
Compared to other areas of the Bay, Benicia is NOT high priced!! You can find something affordable for "California" prices!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 34,807 times
Most certainly...if you want really small and farm type towns consider Palo Cedro or Bella Vista.Both are 10 minutes into the city of Redding. If you want remote towns up in a cooler elevation but less than 45 minutes to Redding consider Whitmore or Oak Run....there are many cool properties up there with creeks and wildlife etc.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 AM

473 posts, read 1,698,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinRedding View Post
Most certainly...if you want really small and farm type towns consider Palo Cedro or Bella Vista.Both are 10 minutes into the city of Redding. If you want remote towns up in a cooler elevation but less than 45 minutes to Redding consider Whitmore or Oak Run....there are many cool properties up there with creeks and wildlife etc.
This sounds good. I can't take the heat and prefer climates 55-65. Mid 70's I start to melt. I don't mind fog, rain. I don't like too much sun.
But yes cooler is better for me. I have never heard of Whitmore or Oak Run.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Quincy's pretty nice...I have family nearby in Portola(going back 150 years in the region) and in regards to Plumas Country you could hardly find a quieter, more peaceful area of California. It's kind of what the rest of the Sierra was like maybe 100 years ago. Quincy has a few good restaurants, only time it gets crowded is during the Sierra Nevada Music Festival in July. I think there are only a couple stoplights in the whole county.

There are some nice small towns around the Eureka-Arcata area---although it feels too isolated for some people. Mt. Shasta is a pleasent town as well, it gets some tourists but nothing too bad.

What about Willits up in Mendocino County? Always seemed nice, not sure how expensive it is--although a lot of the economy is focused on growing a certain herb...
This also sounds very good

Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Then maybe this is better suited to your, um, "budget". It's up near Redding on the Sacramento River, and hey, you can fish!

Grimes Boat Landing & RV Park (http://www.grimesboatlanding.com/rv-boat-landing.html - broken link)

Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
From Monterey going north is Seaside, Fort Ord, Marina, then Moss Landing. We used to catch Striped Bass by the mouth of the Salinas River with Pileworms.

Pileworms live in the sandy sloughs. We used to get em in the Moss Landing slough side of the bridge.

Lustrums ago, at night we used to get crab on Monterey Pier & Moss Landing Pier.

I didn't know Moss Landing had a pier.
Those pile worms will bite you just as aggressive as blood worms which stay on the hook better in the surf but cost about 13.00 a dozen.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
I didn't know Moss Landing had a pier.
Those pile worms will bite you just as aggressive as blood worms which stay on the hook better in the surf but cost about 13.00 a dozen.

Thar used to be a small pier. I don't know about now...
We caught a lot of jack smelt,etc by the canneries.
You can also catch crab off the rocks on other side of the channel.

www.crabhawk.com

Those worms have gotten expensive...
We paid $4 dozen in Santa Nella & Los Banos back then......keepem COOL or they will die Pronto...
Sometimes caught some in moss landing slough...

Used to catcha lot of crawdads at Pinto Lake, Watsonville. Good Bait. Pretty good fishin' thar too.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Thar used to be a small pier. I don't know about now...
We caught a lot of jack smelt,etc by the canneries.
You can also catch crab off the rocks on other side of the channel.

www.crabhawk.com

Those worms have gotten expensive...
We paid $4 dozen in Santa Nella & Los Banos back then......keepem COOL or they will die Pronto...
Sometimes caught some in moss landing slough...

Used to catcha lot of crawdads at Pinto Lake, Watsonville. Good Bait. Pretty good fishin' thar too.

$4.00 was alot for bait way back when. Squid was the cheapest and always stayed on the hook but the only thing that ate it was shark, batray, rockcod and crabs.
Crawdads? That's freshwater. Reminds me of the Crawdad festival in Isleton. It sounds to me most of these places other than the ocean must be located inland / freshwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California