Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,759 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Arcata and I rely on RAW milk/cream/butter. Can anyone tell me how I can get raw milk in Arcata? It's banned by the County, I hear, but I'm hoping to hook up with a local dairy farmer that would share some, provided they're not adverse to getting a cash donation for such sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,650,333 times
My understanding is that it's banned not by the County but by State law. Sorry, I don't know of a source unless you buy your own cow. Maybe someone else knows a source.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:09 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,979,023 times
it's not banned by the state. My neighbor gets it from a local dairy farmer here, but we're down in sonoma county. (my neighbor also works for the city police department).

I would check here:

Arcata is not on the list, but maybe there's somewhere nearby? (I'm not that familiar with the Arcata area)

http://www.californiarawmilk.org/sit...ity_Sheet1.pdf

http://www.californiarawmilk.org/site/

Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 PM

963 posts, read 3,021,573 times
Read this first.

MARI’S CLIMB | Crescent City California News, Sports, & Weather | The Triplicate (http://www.triplicate.com/20091029107351/News/Local-News/MARIS-CLIMB - broken link)

Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,507 times
There is a reason milk is pasturized - drinking raw milk can cause serious infections. It doesnt happen often but it can be fatal when it does especially for pregnant women, the very young, the very old and people with weakened immune systems.

For health benefit I think drinking raw milk is in the same category as leeches except it's more potentially dangerous.

Please question off the wall health claims and challenge them to show the science that backs it up. You'll find that at best it is a few anecdotal cases or poorly designed studies that has not ever been published in respected peer review journals.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,650,333 times
Concur with Bay to Breakers and THANK YOU for the excellent article. Very throrough.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 PM

BaytoBreakers, eureka1, and Brenda-by-the-sea, you have the right to your opinions. However, it doesn't mean you are correct. I happen to have a serious digestive disorder and immune system disease, yet I've been drinking raw milk for the 8 years since I was diagnosed (I did not drink milk before), and it has proven to be one of the few nutrient-dense food sources that I can digest. If I drink pasteurized milk, I have serious digestive problems and joint pain intensely worse; yet raw milk has no adverse effects. But even so, why should anyone's opinion outweigh another's, or be forced on another? What harm is there to you if I choose to drink (and thrive on) raw milk? I don't care if you choose to drink pasteurized milk. I wish for all beings to live in complete freedom, including freedom from others' opinions, however well-intentioned.

Thanks Bellalunatic for the links. I still am in need of a raw milk source, since as I said above, I rely on it pretty heavily. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,939,152 times
I didn't read the articles linked. Didn't need to. As someone who has lived in Spain, I can tell you that brucellosis wasn't a lot of fun. Raw milk, of course was the reason. Just make sure the cow giving the milk is without disease.
How about goat's milk? Funky taste, but easier to digest.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,364 times
Default Raw Milk

Finding Raw milk is a bit difficult in Humboldt County as the "Deputy Branch Director Ann Lindsay, MD, Health Officer" is so opposed to it and has convinced the County Board of Supervisor's to ban it . The typical way to acquire it is to ask around and find someone with a milk goat. So it's time consuming but achievable to get that contact/provider. Usually the goats dry up during the winter.
Goat milk is quite rich and in my opinion can be very wholesome.
I've had no luck with the local dairymen as they are large scale and have much too loose.
-=Greg=-

Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 PM

Thanks much volvomann. I actually do use goat milk (raw) now, my wife makes kefir out of it. I will seek some locals out when I get there. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California