Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:52 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,048,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usogirl View Post
sms1967,
I don't know anything about Chico, can you tell how the weather compares, and if you think it would be a nice place to start a family? Is it bigger or smaller than Redding, and how is the ecomony when compared to other places in CA? Granted everyone is struggling for work now, but we've applied for several jobs in Redding that wouldn't even be available in Fresno right now! Thanks for any info you can provide!
Chico would be a little smaller than Redding, but not much smaller. Chico has the university which influences the area (no CSU or UC around Redding).

The most recent unemployment rates for February for the cities (not the counties they are located in) you are looking at with a comparison:

Redding - 15.5%
Chico - 13.9%
Fresno - 17.4%
Clovis - 10.2%

Good luck with wherever you pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

963 posts, read 3,020,687 times
Chico has an entirely different vibe than Redding. The population of the City of Chico proper gives a misleading indication of the urban area's true size because there are a lot of unincorporated pockets in the city and a number of smaller towns that are very close to Chico itself. I'd say that the greater Chico area is a little bit bigger than the greater Redding area, but size-wise, they're very close...I'd say about 120,000 in the greater Chico area versus 100,000 in the Redding area. It's not a region of endless sprawl like Fresno and it is very family friendly overall (though I wouldn't live too close to the university). The climate is similar, but the extreme highs are less frequent there. There is also an urban tree canopy that covers most of the central urban core and lowers temperatures, and Bidwell Park is an amenity that lends great livability to the city. Chico is one of the few cities in north state that offers some insulation from the State of Jefferson redneck effect, so it is somewhat of a bastion for those who want something more moderate or progressive. But if you want a conservative place per se, you might prefer some place like Redding or Red Bluff. Cities with major universities are unlikely to have a conservative cultural climate. There are surrounding areas such as Durham, Orland and Paradise that are much more conservative.

Jobs, unfortunately, are few and mostly low-paying service sector jobs. If you work in health care you might find a suitable job in Chico, but it isn't a place you can just move to and trust that you'll be able to find something eventually.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 PM

405 posts, read 1,339,365 times
Weather in Chico, Redding and Fresno/Clovis are quite similar. Very hot and dry summers... fog is an issue in the winter but it only freezes on occasion. Jobs will be bad in each location right now. I think Chico has a neat vibe because there's some commercial growth but it hasn't gotten out of hand... yet it's a college town, too. If you're going to look at Fresno, I'd recommend Clovis... or can help you with neighborhoods to see in Fresno. FresnoFacts can do the same. The schools, in general, are much better in Clovis but Fresno has some jewels... just need to know where they are. Crime, however, is pretty rampant here right now and you need to avoid certain areas. Not so much the case in Clovis.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM

405 posts, read 1,339,365 times
By the way... stupid me went back and read the OP's first posting. Sorry for confusing the issue. Back to my original comment: I'd much prefer Chico to Redding because, as much as I hate Fresno, in my mind Redding is a step in the wrong direction. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 17,699 times
The Magnolia - Parkview - Reservoir neighborhoods are probably the worst in Redding because of the crack houses and gangs that control most of the area and other crimes plus they are rundown dirty parts of town anyway. I've lived in south Redding for 13 years and its not as bad but there is still that gang influence out here. your chances of getting shot/stabed or robed out here are less and are about 1 out of 10, if you are a night person that is. Pretty much anyone in Redding knows where the weed at because Redding is a main hub for drug trade and marijuana plantations that go throughout the whole state, trust me I saw this abandoned car that was just stacked with this stuff right of the freeway and cops pulling out bags filled to the top and then laying them down on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California