Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM

14 posts, read 43,464 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Redding, CA from Fresno, CA.

I've read many of the posts and I understand it's quite hot in the summer--118 to 122 degrees? I thought that might be an exageration, but no, in 1988, I believe, it did get to 118 on record, and 122 was reported by some residents in nearby areas. Being born and raised in Fresno, I'm used to to a couple of months of 100+ weather, but not THAT hot! Is there a nearby community, maybe towards Shasta that stays even 5 or 10 degrees cooler in the summer?

We're basically looking for a conservative area of CA to relocate to and start a family. We'd like to stay within a day's drive back to friends and family, but still get as far away from the LA and SF type of living as possible. Fresno has become too big for our taste, too crowded, we want a slower pace to life at this point, possibly even renting a home out on some acreage. We do have 2 indoor cats, so the rentals would have to be pet friendly.

I would appreciate any info you can provide me with, regarding nice areas to rent, good places to stay and to eat when we come visit, and the worst parts of town in your opinion, so I can drive through and see how bad it looks at night. (I know it sounds crazy, but that's the law enforcement in me coming out!) We stayed in a Best Western in Anderson on our way back from Northern Idaho a few weeks ago, and it was nice, clean and reasonably priced.

Is there anyone on here that had made the move from Fresno to Redding and can share with us the differences we can expect?

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,240,144 times
If Fresno is too big for you I suggest you try Kentucky.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM

4,526 posts, read 12,346,501 times
The Redding Metro is 1/5 the size of Fresno's. So yes, if you want a smaller city Redding can fill the bill.

Given that you grew up in Fresno, I really don't think the weather will really be that much different. Doesn't Fresno get up to 118 in the summer too?

Anyway, the most common high temps during the summer, June through September, are the 100-105 range not the 110-118 range.

I believe the worst part of Redding is the area just south of the City Hall, along with a general concern expressed about the old motels that still struggle for existence in downtown Redding.

The most difficult part of living in Redding will be finding work. The job situation there is just as bad as it is in Fresno.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM

59 posts, read 233,553 times
hope you have a job lined up before you move up here .

Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,053,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Given that you grew up in Fresno, I really don't think the weather will really be that much different. Doesn't Fresno get up to 118 in the summer too?
Actually it never has been 118 in Fresno, although many people don't know that.

The highest ever in Fresno was a day that hit 115 back in 1905, and there have only been 15 days in the last 120 years that have exceeded 113.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/hnx/FATcrb/H...t%20Fresno.pdf

Redding averages about 39 days a year over 100 degrees but Fresno is a few lower at 36 days per year over 100 degrees.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:19 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,803,582 times
usogirl, did you decide against North Idaho? And if so, why?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
usogirl, did you decide against North Idaho? And if so, why?
(Sigh), my heart is still in Idaho, David. In the past 6 months hubby and I have spent just over a month in Spokane and Idaho, but family issues now have us needing to stay closer to Fresno, at least for a couple of years. Both trips we took up there were like going to another world, just like everyone predicted it would be.
We plan to buy land up north in a few years though, and I love the Cheney, WA area, as well as Post Falls, ID. We even looked at Boise a little bit, but God has other plans for our family at the moment.
We're hoping to find somewhere in northern CA to start our family first, then transplant to Idaho.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The Redding Metro is 1/5 the size of Fresno's. So yes, if you want a smaller city Redding can fill the bill.

Anyway, the most common high temps during the summer, June through September, are the 100-105 range not the 110-118 range.

I believe the worst part of Redding is the area just south of the City Hall, along with a general concern expressed about the old motels that still struggle for existence in downtown Redding.

The most difficult part of living in Redding will be finding work. The job situation there is just as bad as it is in Fresno.
That's a relief to see it's pretty much like our temps here, thanks so much for that info. I've learned that the weather site can only help so much, you really need to ask someone that has lives there! So if I were to drive through that area on a Fri or Sat night, I'd get a pretty good idea of what the worst part of Redding would be like?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM

405 posts, read 1,340,640 times
Lived in Fresno many years... visited Redding many times. I think they both suck... Redding is just on a smaller scale. You're going to see much of the same mentality and class of people. Might I suggest Chico instead of Redding?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Lived in Fresno many years... visited Redding many times. I think they both suck... Redding is just on a smaller scale. You're going to see much of the same mentality and class of people. Might I suggest Chico instead of Redding?
sms1967,
I don't know anything about Chico, can you tell how the weather compares, and if you think it would be a nice place to start a family? Is it bigger or smaller than Redding, and how is the ecomony when compared to other places in CA? Granted everyone is struggling for work now, but we've applied for several jobs in Redding that wouldn't even be available in Fresno right now! Thanks for any info you can provide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California