Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times

Advertisements

A 5 yr drivers license in ca now cost $31.00. I HATE the dmv & the dmv public union employees have a **** ass attitude. I heard on KFI that the Vlf (vehicle license fee) is going to increase again. I have tried 4 times to get a vehicle registration refund & each time they gave me the run around. What a bunch of damn losers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM

425 posts, read 1,949,246 times
That's about average for a drivers license fee. And didn't you already make a similar thread?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
A 5 yr drivers license in ca now cost $31.00. I HATE the dmv & the dmv public union employees have a **** ass attitude. I heard on KFI that the Vlf (vehicle license fee) is going to increase again. I have tried 4 times to get a vehicle registration refund & each time they gave me the run around. What a bunch of damn losers.
You're starting a thread over a $31 fee? That fee is in the noise compared to property taxes, gasoline costs, and electricity costs in CA compared to other states.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,072,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You're starting a thread over a $31 fee? That fee is in the noise compared to property taxes, gasoline costs, and electricity costs in CA compared to other states.
All proceeds going to either public employee union-mandated retirement pay-outs, or misguided "environmental" causes that seem to not be materializing(numerous Air-Quality management districts., etc).

Staying on topic though, the drivers-license testing is another teeth-gritter as well.
I currently maintain my Commercial Class-A with all endorsements.
I was looking into getting an EMT certification and just to get employed anywhere, you've got to have an ambulance driver cert as well.

Rather than being something offered by the Dept of Health, it's another DMV test that has to be taken, in addition to retaking all of the other endorsements tests over again as well.

Other states either don't have this, or it's just a stand-alone that doesn't involve the risk of "throwing away" your other endorsements.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
You'd have a bad attitude too if you were over-worked, had a significant percentage of your wages evaporate, were forced to take days off that simply increased the crowds on the days left and were universally despised.

For the record, I never had a bad experience with a DMV employee during the over 50 years I was licensed to drive in the state. Perhaps that's because I was always pleasant to deal with, Hmmmm!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You'd have a bad attitude too if you were over-worked, had a significant percentage of your wages evaporate, were forced to take days off that simply increased the crowds on the days left and were universally despised.

For the record, I never had a bad experience with a DMV employee during the over 50 years I was licensed to drive in the state. Perhaps that's because I was always pleasant to deal with, Hmmmm!
The dmv has to take 2-3 days off with no pay per month. They still get plenty of paid days off yearly plus generous benefits & pension packet. Their pay is still quite good. The dmv owes me a $50.00 refund & has yet to do that. Its been over 7 months. I just dont trust them & even my local assemblyman said they are tough to deal with just like the horrid franchise tax board. The drivers lcense went from 15.00 to 27.00 (2008) to 31.00 (2010). We have a gov with a approval rating of 23% & a legislature with a approval rating of 14%. Need i say more ?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The dmv has to take 2-3 days off with no pay per month. They still get plenty of paid days off yearly plus generous benefits & pension packet. Their pay is still quite good. The dmv owes me a $50.00 refund & has yet to do that. Its been over 7 months. I just dont trust them & even my local assemblyman said they are tough to deal with just like the horrid franchise tax board. The drivers lcense went from 15.00 to 27.00 (2008) to 31.00 (2010). We have a gov with a approval rating of 23% & a legislature with a approval rating of 14%. Need i say more ?
I have to stand corrected on what I posted. It's almost 50 years I was licensed, not over.

I stand by the rest, however. DMV workers are losing almost 15% of their incomes due to furloughs, the necessity for which they're not to blame. I'm sure you've heard about bodily waste rolling to the lowlands and hitting wind generating devices. DMV employees, and many others, are and have been on the receiving end of the well-deserved, subterranean ratings for the Governor and Legislature.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Im not saying all dmv employees are creeps but the ones in sacramento that i talked to were quite rude.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,927,262 times
Look, everyone in the entire world knows that CA is a complete mess. People are Haiti are talking about how much of a mess CA has become! The DMV here is by far the most strict and enforces the most useless vehicle codes nationwide. Every department requires you to be certified in whatever they want even though if you go to any other state, it is meaningless. You can transfer whatever you want to another state much easier compared to anything in California. In many ways, CA acts like its own country with all the stupid local and state laws / taxes. I think CA has always been this way but its taken a massive recession for people to notice it.

Regarding your vehicle registration, there is a form you can fill out to get your money back. I'm guessing you sold your car so you paid several months of fees which probably will equal 100-200. Get on dmv.ca.gov and use the search feature. It is a very common form. DMV is beyond slow now since most of their departments are closed 3 Fridays a month now. So, you will need to wait a few months to get anything back.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Im not saying all dmv employees are creeps but the ones in sacramento that i talked to were quite rude.
Could it possibly be a case of reaping what you sow in terms of attitude. I never had a problem with the Sacramento DMV offices whatsoever but perhaps it all has to do with approach, hmmm!

Tell ya what, if it will help you get over it, I'll be happy to send you the $6 and change a year for the next five years your renewal cost. Understand, I'm retired which lowered my income but I think I can manage that for ya. In fact, it should make your day, coming as it would be from a retired state worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California