Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,593,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Why do so many people continue to move to the great state of California.

You talkin' legals or illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,815,390 times
Quote:
Why do so many people continue to move to the great state of California. I mean you hear in the media..how "Cali" is struggling, Unemployment is at an all time high, No jobs, Real Estate prices are ridiculous....But yet in still, people pack their bags and head for the state of California. I under stand the weather is absolutely fabulous and if your're in the showbiz/entertaiinment business, thats the area for you. Can someone come to a logical conclusion and explain the big draw to California.
For the millionth, time...."Cali" is a city in the South American nation of Colombia. If you must abbreviate, please refer to California as "CA".

To answer your question, California's population growth rate has been slowing for several decades now.

Between 2000-2009, it's estimated that California's population grew 9.1%. Estimates for the US population growth were 9.9%. See links below:

California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Much of the population gain was from a higher than average birth rate. Most of the people moving here are from other countries. In general, there is net out migration of native born Americans from California to other places in the US.

Even illegal immigrants are figuring out that $7 an hour in Iowa goes a lot further than $8 or $10 an hour in California.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Why do so many people continue to move to the great state of California. I mean you hear in the media..how "Cali" is struggling, Unemployment is at an all time high, No jobs, Real Estate prices are ridiculous....But yet in still, people pack their bags and head for the state of California. I under stand the weather is absolutely fabulous and if your're in the showbiz/entertaiinment business, thats the area for you. Can someone come to a logical conclusion and explain the big draw to California.
I assume you mean California and not Cali in So America? Now, that we have the name "cali: out of the way, I will add my 2 cents worth and that is probably all it is worth.

People are not flocking to Califonia anymore, yes, you will always have the dreamers who think they want to live near the beach or plan on getting discovered and many are going to come regardless of what others tell them and yes, some people actually do get transferred or get new jobs in Ca, but it doesn't have the draw it did 5,10 or 30 years ago.

I read, in the paper today, resale property in Calif has increased for about the 3rd or 4th month in a row. I didn't read all the article.

Nita

Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,688,882 times
Quote:
The biggest reasons people move to California IMO are because they are fascinated by the constant sunny weather and because many people want to get jobs in the entertainment business. I'm not one of those that finds constant sun all that fascinating. Sunny weather is good to a point but when there's too much of it that's when it can get old. Others like myself didn't move to CA by choice but because that's where their family ended up settling in. I don't really care all that much about these Hollywood celebrities anyway because most of them are really messed up personally and they have too many issues. I don't even go to the beach because I live too far away to ever go to one.

In spite of the rising unemployment, high house prices and traffic, people for some reason still continue to move out here. Why? I don't really know but if someone asked me whether I'd recommend them to move here I'd say not unless you are able to find a job which pays a living wage and you can afford to buy a home here. CA is no longer the Golden State anymore, more like the bankrupt state, haha! CA is a great place to visit but not a great place to live unless you have lots of money and like to put up with traffic high costs of living and idiot drivers. Just to be clear, I am NOT a CA hater, I am just pointing out the reality of living here.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I read, in the paper today, resale property in Calif has increased for about the 3rd or 4th month in a row.
I'm almost positive those are median prices and most likely the median goes up because the mix as shifted to a higher percentage of higher priced homes. You can have a median price increase but overall value (in a normalized metric such as $/sqft) go down. So while the median price goes from say $350K to $360K, at the same time the $/sqft goes down from $230/sqft to $220/sqft because there was an increase in $500K homes selling and a decrease in $200K homes selling. The prices of all homes went down but the median went up.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,956,169 times
I was born and raised here and have been here my whole life, except for 9 months in Hell. I'm still waiting for my own reality show!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:05 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,361,371 times
Quote:
Since when did California receive an "influx" of jobs and when was it ever "affordable"
Maybe if you worked in hi-tech with a graduate degree in Computer Science from Stanford or Berkeley, living it up with the new gentry on the San Francisco Peninsula.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Maybe if you worked in hi-tech with a graduate degree in Computer Science from Stanford or Berkeley, living it up with the new gentry on the San Francisco Peninsula.
What about something like this? Good schools, nice neighborhood, close to jobs, 4+2, SFR, $191/sqft

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Mission-Viejo/24832-Mosquero-Ln-92691/home/5035997

Old 03-31-2010, 03:29 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about something like this? Good schools, nice neighborhood, close to jobs, 4+2, SFR, $191/sqft

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Mission-Viejo/24832-Mosquero-Ln-92691/home/5035997

Meh, I'm enjoying life in Northridge. It isn't so far from everything I value It's a nice area, sorta affordable (plenty of decent homes in the $350-$500k range), and close to a lot of jobs in the LA area. However, great schools exist if you stick your kid into a Magnet (like myself). Otherwise....

Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
It's a nice area, sorta affordable (plenty of decent homes in the $350-$500k range), and close to a lot of jobs in the LA area.
That's pretty much what I mean, housing prices have dropped. Yes they are still higher per square foot compared to many other places in the US but if you want California either now or soon might be a "window" to buy with a good combination of lowered prices and low interest rates. I've never fathomed 4.25% 15 year fixed rate loans like we have now. Put it this way, an $85K salary, 5%, 30 years, 20% down gets you into a $455K house. It's doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California