Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,810,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
. Just stay in your suburban bubble.
South Fontana... the suburbs... BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Please move here, you're very entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,015,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Tracks View Post
Visit the area and see for yourself. I will not ever go to the Bay area. Way to many freaks there.
What an incredibly stupid response... Yes, we're just all a bunch of freaks and weirdos. Sure there are some weirdos here- just like weirdos can be found anywhere else in the entire world for that matter! There are over 7 million of us. Are you seriously lumping all of us into the same boat. The Bay Area is probably one of the most diverse places in the entire country and you can pretty much find every type of person here. And for the most part, people live together pretty well. So, where are you from? You seem to be a vast ocean of knowledge regarding the Bay Area. I'd love for you to impart some of your wisdom about my life-long home to me. I'm sure you could teach me so much. In case you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, it's being laid on pretty thick. If you're going to make ignorant comments, be prepared to back them up. Hopefully some more of my fellow Bay Area neighbors will chime in too.

I'm not going to completely go off topic about this fool's previous comment, but I will try to answer the OP's question.

I personally have never seen any real hostility toward outsiders. I do however think there is an overall mindset of long-time CA residents that we're tired of the over-population. Especially on this forum, it seems like it's everybody's life-long dream to come "make it" in CA. That's probably the biggest annoyance Californians have in general. We see our quality of life slowly and steadily diminishing because too many people keep coming here. Despite that, I think that Californians are generally pretty accepting of anybody who comes here that is willing to work hard and not free-load off the state. People in CA come from all over the world. I think that for the most part we are friendly and accepting and not as judgemental as many people from other parts of the country.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, those too.

Fontucky is legit. He lives in one of those places where they ask, "Yo homes, where you from?".
South Side Fontana and Tiny Hood Locos representin, ese.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,819,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
South Side Fontana and Tiny Hood Locos representin, ese.
Orale, Corona Varrios Locos aqui loco.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM

That oughta scare them in Iowa....

Old 03-31-2010, 12:30 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,819,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontucky View Post
that oughta scare them in iowa....
You know it

Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,938,472 times
To the OP, if you are walking around bad parts of any city...that will more likely to happen. That is much more likely to happen if you dress a particular way as well. My buddies got asked that question by a vato because they were wearing wife beatings...he didnt notice the running shorts and shoes. This has never happen to me because I don't like hanging out crappy places and I don't dress like a criminal.

There are plenty of gangs in the south who have this type of attitude. You see this alot about LA because LA has alot of famous gangs. Plus, alot of movies where actually filmed in LA before the city decided to tax the hell out of the industry ten years ago. Hence why you don't see as many movies about LA now. Think about Falling Down, Friday, Blood in Blood Out, etc. all have to do with gangs in LA. It's just like the Hell Angels. You know the name but there are several other large biker gangs like The Mongols.

Regarding the actual question, yes we do. Californians hate when people from other places move here even though so many did the same thing. I remember when I moved back from when I was 14. Everyone was like, "why did you move here?" Once I told them I was born here, they stopped bugging me about moving to California.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Regarding the actual question, yes we do. Californians hate when people from other places move here even though so many did the same thing.
Speak for yourself. This native welcomes people from other parts of the country. All I ask is that they be self-supporting on not a drain on taxpayers.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,699,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Is there any truth to these pre-concieved notions, or is it because my sources of information are T.V., the internet, and heresay.
Yes, you have a very distorted perception because of those sources of information that you mentioned.
And L.A. is not California and visa-versa.
It's just one social expression / manifestation of a very large and diverse state and the L.A. area itself is not all about gang banging and Hollywood.
Man the media is crap!!! (kill your television )
But if you're so shaky that you imagine ending up in a hole in the desert you may want to stay where you are until you're ready to handle a more chaotic environment.
And i'd suggest reading some good history books about the western states and California in particular.

Speaking of history ... Here's a good take on the state by another forum member.

"Never forget that the west coast was, and is, a barrier. It stopped the western migration of our history cold, dead in its tracks.

Those who perpetually moved west were the disaffected, the non-conformists, the recalcitrant, those seeking relief from responsibilities and expectations or running from the law. Those moving west were after a new life, a new beginning, a fresh start separated by a continent from the old life, from the old parameters and restraining conformity.

It still is. New generations head west for the same reasons their forefathers headed west, and they join the progeny of those previous immigrants. All of them have washed up against the Pacific Ocean and stopped. There's no place else to go.

That's why the west coast is different from the rest of America, and California in particular. The opportunities in Washington and Oregon are pretty much limited to those areas west of the Cascades, but California was, and still is, wide open, from the high deserts to the inland valleys to the coast; California is the Mecca, the Promised Land, the place where a person can begin again.

It has attracted, does attract, and WILL attract the detrious of the continent; the good alongside the bad, the decent people and the criminals, the lazy and the industrious. Anyone wanting to start over has come to California and they'll continue to come because they have no other place to go."

That's what makes California so unique!"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...so-rude-4.html

Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM

16,573 posts, read 27,285,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
What an incredibly stupid response... Yes, we're just all a bunch of freaks and weirdos. Sure there are some weirdos here- just like weirdos can be found anywhere else in the entire world for that matter! There are over 7 million of us. Are you seriously lumping all of us into the same boat. The Bay Area is probably one of the most diverse places in the entire country and you can pretty much find every type of person here. And for the most part, people live together pretty well. So, where are you from? You seem to be a vast ocean of knowledge regarding the Bay Area. I'd love for you to impart some of your wisdom about my life-long home to me. I'm sure you could teach me so much. In case you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, it's being laid on pretty thick. If you're going to make ignorant comments, be prepared to back them up. Hopefully some more of my fellow Bay Area neighbors will chime in too.

I'm not going to completely go off topic about this fool's previous comment, but I will try to answer the OP's question.

I personally have never seen any real hostility toward outsiders. I do however think there is an overall mindset of long-time CA residents that we're tired of the over-population. Especially on this forum, it seems like it's everybody's life-long dream to come "make it" in CA. That's probably the biggest annoyance Californians have in general. We see our quality of life slowly and steadily diminishing because too many people keep coming here. Despite that, I think that Californians are generally pretty accepting of anybody who comes here that is willing to work hard and not free-load off the state. People in CA come from all over the world. I think that for the most part we are friendly and accepting and not as judgemental as many people from other parts of the country.
Well said, one shouldn't talk about the Bay Area (or any area) if they've not gone. Just about EVERY type of person exist in the Bay Area. I took a girlfriend to Berkeley once because she'd never been but always heard the typical hippie stories. While we were there, we say just about every type of person. There was a bluegrass band playing on a patio at a restaurant. A group of students at Cal playing modern pop stype songs with a keyboard drums and guitar. Rasta people bangin Raggae. Business people etc etc. That's just one city too.

I also agree that Californians are not hostile toward outsiders at least everywhere I've been in the state and this is certainly true of the big metro areas. Every state has it's nagging issue, in Ca. we really would like to control population growth but deep down realize that it's likely to just continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California