Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,803,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I looked up Fontana California, and it is suburbanesque for the most part. It was a farming community as recently as 1913, has a fast growing population, and a density of under 2,000 per sq. mile, which is actually quasi rural. It does have a moderate level of crime, but compared to "real cities" its a joke, however crime is not what makes a place urban. Fontana is definitely not the quintessential picture of urbanity, and if you think so, then you need to get out more.
The only suburbanesque parts of Fontana are on the far NW side and Southridge. Most of the rest of it is older and would probably scare you. Keep in mind, CA wasn't much in 1913. CA was settled very late in comparison to the rest of the nation.

I want you to go tell the Vatos in Fontucky's hood how not "real" they are. "Get out to Fontana" and tell us how your experience goes with these "not real" and "funny" people. Then come back and tell us you know everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I, in fact find it kinda pathetic that so many of my friends have lived in the same little bubble their entire lives. Most of my friends have done little traveling and several of them have never been on a plane! I'm almost 25! Many born here don't explore the world because they feel everything they need is here. I think that is real naive. These are the ones who questioned me when I moved back to California. Once I told them I was like "one of them", they accepted me.

Everyone would just rather go to "The River" or back to Vegas for the 34th time.
Quintessential California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,077,843 times
Quote:
I've seen, on T.V, on several occasions where mexican gang bangers roll up to someone who is unfamiliar to them and ask the question, "Hey holmes where u from?", and if they give the wrong answer, or don't give the right answer, their ass is grass. I saw this on the history, so it was a true stroy. Is that an extremely rare incident or do you really have to know about where your at (for safety reasons) in california.

I've also heard that the Bay Area can be very insular( especially the natives who have been there for generations), to the point where it rubs off on the some of transplants.

I ask these questions because once I get enough money, I want to move out to california(because it seems like the most progressive state), but I don't know anybody out there. I've also seen some california posters tell people that it would probably be best for them to stay where they're at.

Is there any truth to these pre-concieved notions, or is it because my sources of information are T.V., the internet, and heresay.
I always thought there would be more hostility towards traitors., ie
Former CA-residents who moved elsewhere and now have a changed view of their former state.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,677,759 times
Hey holmes where u from?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,077,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Hey holmes where u from?
Born in Urbana, Illinois, circa '83.

Mom- born in Malaysia, circa '60(left with my stepdad to spite parents)

Biological dad- born in Malaysia, circa '66(never left due to mommy/daddy pampering him)

Stepdad- born in Chesterton, ID circa '54

Essentially, we ended up in Hesperia after my stepdad found the right teaching job with the district here in '87.

He's still there, I'm still here, but I got my first taste of "out-of-state" after I first drove an 18-wheeler in '06.
That CA-pride was in me prior to that point, but once I saw how easygoing other areas were, I quickly dropped that attitude and reverted back to the rural status I once considered myself to be.

As far as going through other states, I typically just use my birthplace as a "supposed" answer to the query of "where I'm from".
Not to mention the look on ones face when they see my skin-tone, then hear my country-accent.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,702,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And you come across as a wannabe banger with a chip on your shoulder. With that "name" you've chosen, perhaps I should meet you in CA and introduce you to a friend of mine. Her father was the Congressman killed by the Kool-Aid drinkers in Guyana.

And to prove I'm the stereotypical, native Callifornian, my father was born in Chicago in 1920 and my mother in New York in 1922. I was born in San Diego in 1946, married a native Californian and had four children in this state. I'm now married to another native Californian and, obviously, we live elsewhere. You're welcome to take our place!
Killer Kool Aide was the name of my favorite drink, when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I would go to this club in Okinawa City called Utopia, and would get wasted off Killa Kool Aide. Even til this day,It was the best drink I've ever had. I don't remeber what was in it, but have been trying to replicate it (unsuccessfully) ever since.

I'm sorry about your people in guyana. I'm not trying to offend anyone. Whats with the hyper-sensitivity.

I just wanted to know how things work out there in cali. Y'all are doin big things, you know, bout to legalize weed and all.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 PM

My favorite movie "Harsh Times" was based out in east LA, anybody else seen that movie? (And no, I don't think that all of Cali, over even LA for that matter is like the East LA they protray in the movie.)<------------------ For all you california cheerleaders ready to pounce.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 03-31-2010 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 10:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,336,493 times
Quote:
Killer Kool Aide was the name of my favorite drink, when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I would go to this club in Okinawa City called Utopia, and would get wasted off Killa Kool Aide. Even til this day,It was the best drink I've ever had. I don't remeber what was in it, but have been trying to replicate it (unsuccessfully) ever since.

I'm sorry about your people in guyana. I'm not trying to offend anyone. Whats with the hyper-sensitivity.

I just wanted to know how things work out there in cali. Y'all are doin big things, you know, bout to legalize weed and all.
Not hyper-sensitive. Simply know the lady and tend to be protective.

Have you looked for recipes on the Internet?

0.5 oz. Amaretto
3.0 oz. Cranberry juice
0.5 oz. Peach Schnapps
1.5 oz. OVAL Vodka
Fill a glass with ice. Layer vodka, peach schnapps, amaretto, and cranberry juice. Do not stir.

1/2 oz vodka
1 oz melon liqueur
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
cranberry juice
Sprite® soda
Pour amaretto, melon liqueur and vodka into a highball glass almost filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Add cranberry juice to taste, and stir again. Top with Sprite, to taste, and serve.

1 part Absolut® vodka
1 part amaretto almond liqueur
1 part Malibu® coconut rum
1 part sloe gin
1 part Midori® melon liqueur
1 part cranberry juice
Pour equal parts into a mug/glass. Add the alcohol first, then add the cranberry juice last. This drink may be mixed/stirred, but it isn't required.

1 oz. amaretto
1 oz. peach schnapps
1 oz. vodka
cranberry juice
Combine and add desired amount of cranberry juice

If the economy, the Governor or the Legislature are any indication, things in Californiaaren't working out too well right now.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not hyper-sensitive. Simply know the lady and tend to be protective.

Have you looked for recipes on the Internet?

0.5 oz. Amaretto
3.0 oz. Cranberry juice
0.5 oz. Peach Schnapps
1.5 oz. OVAL Vodka
Fill a glass with ice. Layer vodka, peach schnapps, amaretto, and cranberry juice. Do not stir.

1/2 oz vodka
1 oz melon liqueur
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
cranberry juice
Sprite® soda
Pour amaretto, melon liqueur and vodka into a highball glass almost filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Add cranberry juice to taste, and stir again. Top with Sprite, to taste, and serve.

1 part Absolut® vodka
1 part amaretto almond liqueur
1 part Malibu® coconut rum
1 part sloe gin
1 part Midori® melon liqueur
1 part cranberry juice
Pour equal parts into a mug/glass. Add the alcohol first, then add the cranberry juice last. This drink may be mixed/stirred, but it isn't required.

1 oz. amaretto
1 oz. peach schnapps
1 oz. vodka
cranberry juice
Combine and add desired amount of cranberry juice

If the economy, the Governor or the Legislature are any indication, things in Californiaaren't working out too well right now.
I just gotta computer not even a month ago. So there's still alot of things I gotta look up. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,803,582 times
Quote:
Whats with the hyper-sensitivity.
In CA, we call that progressiveness.

Quote:
Legalizing weed is going to do wonders for CA.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,339,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Legalizing weed is going to do wonders for CA.
They're probably just hoping everyone gets stoned and too docile/apathetic to care if the whole place goes to hell around them. What's that old saying about bread and circuses? Maybe it'll be weed and reality TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California