Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,817,106 times

Advertisements

I think there will still be a profitable market for home-grown, organic varieties over mass-grown corporate weed.

Look at tomatoes. How many of us buy the cheaper crap in the supermarket that's been picked green and ripened artificially at the distribution destination, or the more expensive yet beautifully red and fragrant vine-ripened/hot house varieties? Or better yet, tomatoes from a market stand at the side of the road up in the Central Valley?

Same will go for pot. Put out a better product and the people will beat a path to your door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:02 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,951,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I think there will still be a profitable market for home-grown, organic varieties over mass-grown corporate weed.

Look at tomatoes. How many of us buy the cheaper crap in the supermarket that's been picked green and ripened artificially at the distribution destination, or the more expensive yet beautifully red and fragrant vine-ripened/hot house varieties? Or better yet, tomatoes from a market stand at the side of the road up in the Central Valley?

Same will go for pot. Put out a better product and the people will beat a path to your door.
Agreed. My friend is also a person who is voting out or going to vote out every democrat on any ballot so she can vote in republicans - regardless of whether or not she agrees with their position on a given issue. But, other than a few minor defects, she really IS a good friend.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,226,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Tracks View Post
Visit the area and see for yourself. I will not ever go to the Bay area. Way to many freaks there.
Lol, some people.......

Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,082,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hey Strider, "bent" is an appropriate descriptor! I was born in California in 1946 and left it in 2009 affter having worked for it for 25 years. I left because of what I perceived to be massive changes that were and remain unfortunate.

I also served in the military for 12 years. I don't appreciate the word "traitor" being used to describe me under any circumstances.
I thought they had different terms for that sort of thing in the military.

I was just using "traitor" in a generalized, tongue-in-cheek manner as Fontucky was saying.
I mean, if it means anything, when I came back from trucking trips and described the awesomeness of other states to friends and others here, that word was used along with the phrase of "being brainwashed" by the outsiders.

Anywho, thank you very much for your service, and when I say traitor, it's not directed at you.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM

637 posts, read 3,229,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I've seen, on T.V, on several occasions where mexican gang bangers roll up to someone who is unfamiliar to them and ask the question, "Hey holmes where u from?", and if they give the wrong answer, or don't give the right answer, their ass is grass. I saw this on the history, so it was a true stroy. Is that an extremely rare incident or do you really have to know about where your at (for safety reasons) in california.

I've also heard that the Bay Area can be very insular( especially the natives who have been there for generations), to the point where it rubs off on the some of transplants.

I ask these questions because once I get enough money, I want to move out to california(because it seems like the most progressive state), but I don't know anybody out there. I've also seen some california posters tell people that it would probably be best for them to stay where they're at.

Is there any truth to these pre-concieved notions, or is it because my sources of information are T.V., the internet, and heresay.
All this is dramatized for entertainment purposes only... Most people in Calif are from somewhere else anyways so I don't believe you will have any issues what so ever should you move there from another state, certainly much less than when someone moves from Ca to a small town in anywhere USA.

The part about the gang members questioning people can happen to anyone (from Ca or not). If you happen to be walking in a seedy place at the wrong time you could find yourself in an uncomfortable postiion to say the least, but that could be said about any big city in America.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,358,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I thought they had different terms for that sort of thing in the military.

I was just using "traitor" in a generalized, tongue-in-cheek manner as Fontucky was saying.
I mean, if it means anything, when I came back from trucking trips and described the awesomeness of other states to friends and others here, that word was used along with the phrase of "being brainwashed" by the outsiders.

Anywho, thank you very much for your service, and when I say traitor, it's not directed at you.
I will happily and gratefully accept that.

Thank you!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,705,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
All this is dramatized for entertainment purposes only... Most people in Calif are from somewhere else anyways so I don't believe you will have any issues what so ever should you move there from another state, certainly much less than when someone moves from Ca to a small town in anywhere USA.

The part about the gang members questioning people can happen to anyone (from Ca or not). If you happen to be walking in a seedy place at the wrong time you could find yourself in an uncomfortable postiion to say the least, but that could be said about any big city in America.
Not in my city, almost evrey one in my neigborhood knows where I'm from.

Thats why I'm asking the question, people in Cali would probably know right away, from my eastcoast swag, that I'm not from Cali , And in many other cities and states, throughout the country, they will eat you alive if they find out your a foreigner. My city being one of them; Take a guy from burbank , or San Franciso, Hollywood, or Beverly Hill, or even a place like compton or oakland. And drop him off in north philly, or camden, or southwest philly, or Norristown, or chester, or gary,or Detroit or flint, or Bmore; Chances are they will Dress, act, and talk so out of place it would prompt natives to ask the question "Where you from?" (The wrong answer could become a serious liabilty) whether its a cholo or Black thug, Most of the time it leads to nothing, but sometimes a naive (and I'm far from naive) newby gets taken advantage of in a big way, I've seen it myself. All in all it amounts to gettho loan sharking, which turns desperate women into whores, and desperate men into fiends, criminals(drug dealrs), or murder victims. So basically here, even as a native, you have to keep a small circle of close friends and family members (you can't trust nobody, its for your own safety). The golden rule is if I didn't know you before I was 15, I will never know you.
That is the mindset of most of the neighborhood Philadelphians, and that is not what I would call welcoming to outsiders

I was just wondering if the social dynamic is the same out there. Because I would stick out like a sore thumb, and am wondering if that would make me more vulnerable to the criminal element( Cuz they know I aint got nobody to back me up out there), and/or make it more difficult to break into a (positive) social circle. Is California a cliqueish state?

So if you dropped me off in South Central or East LA or Oakland would they look at me any differently or treat me any differently beacuse I'm from somwhere else. would I ever be able to gain the trust of the locals, because the bottom line is when i comes time to do business with people they gotta trust you.

Or, would I be able to get into a netwrok of upwordly mobile people relatively quickly and/or easily.
This is what I meant when I started this thread with the question of Is cali Hostile towards outsiders. A better way to put it: Is the social strata out west Just as solidified as it is back east.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 04-01-2010 at 11:58 PM..

Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 AM

13,825 posts, read 29,825,394 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to get out more.

Your example of Philadelphia is unique unto itself. We don't have that anywhere out in the West. Nobody would stop to take the time to look at you and say "he's weird," or "he must not be from around here". Nobody (stranger-wise) cares about you and your "east coast swag", if you prove yourself to be a decent person, you'll gain friends immediately.

Quote:
Most of the time it leads to nothing, but sometimes a naive (and I'm far from naive) newby gets taken advantage of in a big way, I've seen it myself. All in all it amounts to gettho loan sharking, which turns desperate women into whores, and desperate men into fiends, criminals(drug dealrs), or murder victims. So basically here, even as a native, you have to keep a small circle of close friends and family members (you can't trust nobody, its for your own safety). The golden rule is if I didn't know you before I was 15, I will never know you.
That is the mindset of most of the neighborhood Philadelphians, and that is not what I would call welcoming to outsiders
Can't say I know of this sort of thing anywhere in CA. People in CA are more mobile. We don't stay in the same neighborhood our entire lives like some do back east. In most parts of CA, it's likely that at least 20-30% of your neighbors will have been born in another country. Another 30-40% were born and raised somewhere in the state, and the remainder came from somewhere else in the US. Many urban CA'ians are too busy working and commuting to care about or get involved in this petty crap you describe above. Even the barrio I grew up in is nothing like you describe above.

Quote:
I was just wondering if the social dynamic is the same out there. Because I would stick out like a sore thumb, and am wondering if that would make me more vulnerable to the criminal element( Cuz they know I aint got nobody to back me up out there), and/or make it more difficult to break into a (positive) social circle. Is California a cliqueish state?
If the social dynamic in PHI is how you describe, it's nothing like that in CA. You won't stick out like a sore thumb, anywhere. The only way you'll find the "criminal element" is if you go looking for it. If you focus on getting a job and supporting yourself, you will attract similar people.

Quote:
So if you dropped me off in South Central or East LA or Oakland would they look at me any differently or treat me any differently beacuse I'm from somwhere else. would I ever be able to gain the trust of the locals, because the bottom line is when i comes time to do business with people they gotta trust you.
Are you planning on selling drugs or something?

If those are the places you are looking to live, then you probably shouldn't move to CA. Aim higher. Way higher.

Again, nobody cares if you're from somewhere else. Most everybody is from somewhere else (people like me excluded, but I don't live there anymore thank god).

Quote:
Or, would I be able to get into a netwrok of upwordly mobile people relatively quickly and/or easily.
If you get a job, support yourself, sure. If you're looking to re-create your life in Philadelphia, no.

If you come in with a chip on your shoulder, act like your above everybody, and brag about how you're from "whatever-side Philly", you'll probably get laughed at (or worse).

Come out to CA with an open mind and leave your past behind.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,817,106 times
What the hell's an "East Coast swag"? Is that a funny way of walking?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,358,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What the hell's an "East Coast swag"? Is that a funny way of walking?
Perhaps it's the east coast version of a San Francisco swish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California