Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM

8,187 posts, read 16,600,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya but....

I'd bet if someone analyzed the City-Data posters interested in relocating to Southern California, and put them into categories (think City-Data Barbies), there might be one group of people for which moving to SoCal might work out.

The results of this analysis might come out like this:
The single 20 something City-Data Barbie
- Watches a lot of TV
- Looking for $700/month 1 bedroom apartment, near the beach, which will allow his three 100lb dogs
- Lives in midwest
- Posts in January, a couple days after watching the Rose Parade

The 48 year old, mid career, four kids City-Data Barbie
- Observes housing prices dropping from stratosphere into the jet routes
- Is occupied in a sector not completely slammed by recession and that is hiring
- Company is relocating him
- Must reconcile work location (can't afford or bad schools) with affordable neighborhood (long commute)

The Can't Stand England City-Data Barbie
- Imagines life in LA as one big outdoor pub
- Fully aware of the first class dental cosmetic procedures available in LA
- Wonders why he is the only guy wearing a speedo type bathing suit at the beach

The I Want To Be A Movie Star City-Data Barbie
- Prom Queen in Springdale High School (graduating class of 37) in Iowa
- Arrives in LA with a 40 pound makeup kit and 20 pound suitcase
- Becomes most popular "star" as watched on laptops by lonely traveling businessmen in their hotel rooms.
- Tom Petty writes a sad song about her
Hey Charles,

You forgot the Telecommute City-Data Barbie who can basically live anywhere working in his/her pjs all day.

And most importantly the Surprise City-Data Barbie who defies all other categories.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hey Charles,

You forgot the Telecommute City-Data Barbie who can basically live anywhere working in his/her pjs all day.

You're right. I can't believe how many people original post on City-Data with "...commuting isn't a concern because we both work at home....."

Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 PM

16,573 posts, read 27,287,031 times
Quote:
You're right. I can't believe how many people original post on City-Data with "...commuting isn't a concern because we both work at home....."
and at least some got what you were saying this time LOL

Old 04-18-2010, 01:17 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,260,532 times
Quote:
Gangs aren't even in the top five problems facing Southern Californians.

Traffic
Schools
Unemployment
Traffic (I'll mention it twice just because it is so bad)
Illegal Aliens
Unbalanced, out of tune real estate
High property taxes (Ask someone who just bought an $800K home which he would rather have, a 30% reduction in his property taxes or a 30% reduction in gangs.)
Potentially high gasoline prices (would affect so many drivers)
Public Transportation
You're in ALABAMA.

I, on the other hand, live, work, shop, eat, breathe, and sleep in So Cal.

I'm not sure if you're just trying to save face or whatever but, I'd have to say that you don't completely understand the economics behind California's decline. No offense Charles, because I think you have a bunch to say and that's a good thing for the message board. In a nutshell, however, the gangs/thuglife culture play a role in that regular people don't wish to engage. If regular, middle/upper class, well educated, pleasant and productive people don't feel safe to raise their families, work, take vacations or spend their tourist dollars, then, all of that leads to X amount of revenue being lost.

If you visit some of the LAC neighborhoods nowadays, they're all ghetto and trashy and nobody in his or her right mind, wants to be there. I'm not exactly thrilled about showing my out of state friends around LA. Most visits to once popular destinations such as Magic Mountain or Universal Studios, will reveal a plethora of thug life. Regular people don't want to be there and that brings down the value. I think MM almost filed bankruptcy, not too long ago. Knott's Berry Farm and Raging Waters have dealt with the same issue. Gangs, thug life, and the entire vibe that they bring, are a very bad thing for California.

Last edited by Jay100; 04-18-2010 at 01:41 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 01:47 AM

30,872 posts, read 36,800,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
The reality is that anyone planning to relocate to Cali needs to be able to generate an annual income of about $200,000. California is NOT a cheap place to live. Even properties in the ghetto here are expensive.
I can be very discouraging of people moving here. But to say you need 200K to live decently here is an extreme exaggeration.

Granted, I'm single...but I've never made more than 50K and always managed to sock a good amount in the 401K, plus have cash in the savings account, etc. A lot of it depends on whether or not you want to own a house. I personally don't care about home ownership, so as long as my rent is a reasonable % of my income, I do fine.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,280,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I can be very discouraging of people moving here. But to say you need 200K to live decently here is an extreme exaggeration.

Granted, I'm single...but I've never made more than 50K and always managed to sock a good amount in the 401K, plus have cash in the savings account, etc. A lot of it depends on whether or not you want to own a house. I personally don't care about home ownership, so as long as my rent is a reasonable % of my income, I do fine.
I would have to agree, $200,000 is a little bit of an exaggeration. On the other hand if you make 50K and are able to live comfortably and sock a lot into your 401K you probably have a different idea on what living decently means than many.

Nita

Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,994,692 times
Quote:

This is the best reason. People in Southern California don't need more people from the east coast moving in. The last thing needed is sitting in bumper to bumper traffic stuck behind some yankee capped NY weasel with a I Love NY sticker on his car.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Makes you sound like one of the idiot Texans.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,417,292 times
This is an interesting thread, especially hearing all the excuses folks have for wanting to "pull in the drawbridge", but of course only after they've come here!

Though not born in Cali, I've come and gone a couple times, and I think you have to leave to really appreciate it. In some ways there's a certain "love/hate" thing about it, but for me it still remains the best fit of any other place I've lived in, or even visited.

The "love" part's pretty easy to understand... the great weather, the scenery, the (mostly) progressive attitudes, the enormous diversity, plus a whole bunch of other things. The "hate" parts are a little more difficult to pin down, but it seems to me there's an awful lot of dreamy "air-headness" here that expresses itself in many ways, some good (the movie biz), some not so much (all the narcissism & wacky "religions", including "Liberal PC" & Rightwing ideologues).

But the one I've personally always found most difficult to adjust to, is a certain anal-retentive & fussy "perfectionism" here, that comes out in everything from the gazillion (and heavily enforced) little state & local "regulations", to criticizing the "details" of how some folks talk ("Cali", etc.). But perhaps the worst is the (narcissistic) illusion many seem to have, of achieving their own dreams of "perfection", by trying to "control" who gets to live here!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,205 times
Default Explore places on your own!

Everybody should give all places a shot...I moved to the Chicago area from SOCAL 26 years ago (wife is from here)...things, places, people can be a little different, but basically everyplace (including people) have their good points, both good and bad. Chicago's weather is extreme but city is user freindly and region offers numerous opportunities. SOCAL is diverse, has a "chill" mentality and that's cool too! (I miss the freeways, beach, deserts, mountains!).

Don't listen to what other people say about a region (Example- "How do you stand the snow!?), whether good or bad! If I had my choice, I'd probably move to Grafton, North Dakota or Omaha, NE. Presently, I teaching on the South side of Chicago around 39th and King Drive. Did I ever thought I'd been teaching here? No, but I'm glad for the opportunity to not to limit myself to a certain part of the city or neighborhood in Chicago or for that matter the USA!

Don't limit youself, the USA is so diverse, get out and explore it and make your OWN decision based on YOUR own experience!! You'll be better for it!

Last edited by goldenseal75; 06-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,552 times
All those pictures that posted on the first start of this thread can all be found somewhere in any state, not just where they are listed from. Even in California there are many places like these pictures. Everyone who isn't from Cali has the opinion that Californians are spoiled little rich brats, yet they all try to live there. Cali isn't perfect, even the weather can be bad at times. There are places with every place you go. People are trying to give their opinions of the place they live or have lived before. That doesn't mean that they "are jealous lovers" or trying to keep Cali all to themselves. Truth is, it isn't nearly as great as people dream it is. Move there and you will see just how bad it can really be, even in the rich neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California