Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,672,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post

I'm just saying when the economy comes back I wanna be on the cutting edge, not picking up the pieces. I don't care so much about what people say, it just baffles me that people can't see the writing on the wall.
There's something to this. Warren Buffet's message is "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful" and the California analogy is buy when housing is bottoming. If someone can secure a job in CA, soon (within the next year or so) "might" be a good time to buy with housing continuing to fall and rates at historical lows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM

485 posts, read 1,702,518 times
There are plenty of areas that look just like those photos in L.A. and throughout California. You'll find urban blight in every city. Besides, I'm sure that image of New Orleans was taken after the flood. I can only imagine what areas of California would look like after a major earthquake. It wasn't fair to post that picture to say that all of New Orleans is bad.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The fastest growing cities are in the sunbelt. The growth in cali just recently slowed up. Some cities(none in california) have been losing population since the end of world war two, and in some extreme cases entire neighborhoods are being reclaimed by nature.

Like I said cali has its problems, but you can't compare them to the suffering in the Midwest, deep south, or killer Camden. The recession can not take away beautiful weather, and scenery year round. A person has a much better chance of becoming famous out there, because of all the T.V. shows. If you believe in trickle down economics, then you gotta believe that having by far the highest concentration of celebraties in the country has a positive effect on a California's economy. Even though it may be tough for everyone right now, it is becoming clear that the 21st century will be lead economically by Cali and Texas. Its also becoming clear that some cities best days are now forever behind them.

I'm just saying when the economy comes back I wanna be on the cutting edge, not picking up the pieces. I don't care so much about what people say, it just baffles me that people can't see the writing on the wall.

"A person has a much better chance of becoming famous out there, because of all the T.V. shows"

Are you serious????

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,717,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
"A person has a much better chance of becoming famous out there, because of all the T.V. shows"

Are you serious????
I was just saying, if thats your thing, entertainment and all. I know plenty of people that wish they're were more T.V./entertainment opportunities where I'm from.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,672,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post

Are you serious????
It's true. Instead of one in a billion in Nebraska it's one in 10 million in LA. Besides, all the casting couches are in LA.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's true. Instead of one in a billion in Nebraska it's one in 10 million in LA. Besides, all the casting couches are in LA.
Ah yes, you have a point, you have a point.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 PM

32 posts, read 80,610 times
If I were you I wouldn't listen to anyone but follow my instincts.

It's what I did when I moved to Los Angeles from Europe more than a decade ago.

You will always runs into nay-sayers. In the end it won't matter. You can fail here as you can fail anywhere - or not. Have a plan AND a plan B, inform yourself prior to coming out here, then make your move. You can always move out again.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,582,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calieuropean View Post
If I were you I wouldn't listen to anyone but follow my instincts.

It's what I did when I moved to Los Angeles from Europe more than a decade ago.

You will always runs into nay-sayers. In the end it won't matter. You can fail here as you can fail anywhere - or not. Have a plan AND a plan B, inform yourself prior to coming out here, then make your move. You can always move out again.
and you are talking about a decade ago. Yes, if one has a plan, can deal with the problems and has a burning desire to live somewhere, go for it, but make sure your eyes are wide open..

As for the pictures OP posted, like someone said, they could have been taken at anytime and there are areas similar in every major city. I can remember the public housing, many years ago on Main street north of downtown L.A or those in south L.a. close to Watts for starters.

Nita

Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,133,877 times
Quote:
The fastest growing cities are in the sunbelt. The growth in cali just recently slowed up. Some cities(none in california) have been losing population since the end of world war two, and in some extreme cases entire neighborhoods are being reclaimed by nature.

Like I said cali has its problems, but you can't compare them to the suffering in the Midwest, deep south, or killer Camden. The recession can not take away beautiful weather, and scenery year round. A person has a much better chance of becoming famous out there, because of all the T.V. shows. If you believe in trickle down economics, then you gotta believe that having by far the highest concentration of celebraties in the country has a positive effect on a California's economy. Even though it may be tough for everyone right now, it is becoming clear that the 21st century will be lead economically by Cali and Texas. Its also becoming clear that some cities best days are now forever behind them.

This is the first post I have read where the presence of celebrities is touted as something meaningful. Basing any relocation decision on what celebrities do is crazy unless you are in the entertainment industry.

Celebrities are the biggest fakes on the planet. Hollywood people driving a Prius to/from their 10,000 sq. ft. home is absurd.

I understand the sensitivity of many Californians to the (potential) influx of people. California is a mess financially. It does almost no one any good to generate more demand for government services of any kind right now. California faces a $50B+ deficit now - and it will take years of belt-tightening, increased taxes, and economic growth to eliminate that. But that won't last if the legislature doesn't change its bad habits.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,306,191 times
Sure come on out. Plenty of jobs that pay in the 6 figures. You can make a lot of money here. Oh and if you are lucky maybe even become well known. You know how it is here in the LA area, you could be walking around one day, get noticed and get your own TV show. Yup, happens all the time. I bet lots of posters here in California have had that happen to them. How many people do we have now? 35 million? 38 million? And most of them have a show on TV somewhere.

Now lets get down to spending all that money you will make as soon as you enter the Golden State.

Since you are new to the area and it may take you a while to get that TV show or land a 6 figure gig you may need to start small. Out here you can make $8 an hour for minumum wage. Starting rents in my city for a 1 bedroom 1 bath place will set you back $850 a month and you will need to have an income of 3X the monthly rental cost or $2,550 a month. What you will need to do is get 2 40 hour a week minumum wage jobs to make the money needed to rent a place.

Just wondering though? How will you find the time to get noticed in the entertainment industry while you are working so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California