Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM

13,825 posts, read 29,828,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Los Angeles County 12.3%
Orange County 9.7%

I think the message is, if you live in Santa Ana, a higher percentage of your neighbors are unemployed than if you live in Irvine.
Much thanks.

Re: the message, I understand. When we talk about "moving to LA", "LA" could mean anything from Ventura to Beaumont or Lancaster to San Clemente. The 12.3's and 9.7's (or LA-OC's combined 11.7% or the IE's 14.7%) of the world are what I'd like to know if I was moving back to Southern CA -- not how the people in San Marino are doing. John Doe could move to San Marino (work with me here), and find that virtually all of his neighbors have jobs, and then wonder why he can't get one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
David and Charles, thanks for putting all that into perspective.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
Quote:
Los Angeles County 12.3%
Orange County 9.7%

I think the message is, if you live in Santa Ana, a higher percentage of your neighbors are unemployed than if you live in Irvine.
and that does make sense, but we also have to consider what kind of jobs these people have and what the future is for someone who decides to move to Californai without a job. Everyone we know, still living in Ca and not retired are gainfully employed and have good jobs, this doesn't mean I would want to move there right now and start over. They are people who have had their jobs for many years and are career oriented. I even have a friend who has a son in law that was living in Ct. He had a job that wasn't very stable, applied and got hired in the East bay area. Of course we are talking upper level management. The family has been there about 6 months are loves living in the area. There are jobs to be had, I just think people have to give a lot of thought to what they are getting themselves into before moving to the land of opportunity.

Nita

Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The 12.3's and 9.7's (or LA-OC's combined 11.7% or the IE's 14.7%) of the world are what I'd like to know if I was moving back to Southern CA -- not how the people in San Marino are doing.

John Doe could move to San Marino (work with me here), and find that virtually all of his neighbors have jobs, and then wonder why he can't get one too.
Ya but....

I'd bet if someone analyzed the City-Data posters interested in relocating to Southern California, and put them into categories (think City-Data Barbies), there might be one group of people for which moving to SoCal might work out.

The results of this analysis might come out like this:
The single 20 something City-Data Barbie
- Watches a lot of TV
- Looking for $700/month 1 bedroom apartment, near the beach, which will allow his three 100lb dogs
- Lives in midwest
- Posts in January, a couple days after watching the Rose Parade

The 48 year old, mid career, four kids City-Data Barbie
- Observes housing prices dropping from stratosphere into the jet routes
- Is occupied in a sector not completely slammed by recession and that is hiring
- Company is relocating him
- Must reconcile work location (can't afford or bad schools) with affordable neighborhood (long commute)

The Can't Stand England City-Data Barbie
- Imagines life in LA as one big outdoor pub
- Fully aware of the first class dental cosmetic procedures available in LA
- Wonders why he is the only guy wearing a speedo type bathing suit at the beach

The I Want To Be A Movie Star City-Data Barbie
- Prom Queen in Springdale High School (graduating class of 37) in Iowa
- Arrives in LA with a 40 pound makeup kit and 20 pound suitcase
- Becomes most popular "star" as watched on laptops by lonely traveling businessmen in their hotel rooms.
- Tom Petty writes a sad song about her

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,239,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
The reality is that anyone planning to relocate to Cali needs to be able to generate an annual income of about $200,000. California is NOT a cheap place to live. Even properties in the ghetto here are expensive.

Wishing I was making $200,000 a year but living here anyway. Maybe you need that kind of scratch in some parts of the state but not all parts. You can live nice on $50,000 if your single. You can even do well on $80,000 if you have a small family. I know in Oxnard if you have an $80,000 income you can even afford to buy a home, (if you can get the down payment taken care of.) I would say with a $100,000 you can do fine in the area in most parts anyway.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
I've never seen any of those hard core gang members in any Southern California communities like those shown in the photographs. In fact, one of the things that I like about those communities is that they are sort of "out there", buffered by tens of miles from the gang communities.
I saw them in SoCal as well as Sacramento but for the most part, the majority of hard-core neighborhood gang members have never been more than 10 miles from their hood in their entire lives. One of the very few exceptions to that was what happened in Sacto when the Regional Transit opened a new light rail line that went into the ghetto/barrio. An unintended consequence was that fare-jumping gang bangers had a way to get to the central city and Sacramento's PD is woefully small on a per capita basis compared to most other major cities. It's caused major problems.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,261,788 times
Quote:
I've never seen any of those hard core gang members in any Southern California communities like those shown in the photographs. In fact, one of the things that I like about those communities is that they are sort of "out there", buffered by tens of miles from the gang communities.

Here's a graphical view of the buffer

Gangs of Los Angeles - Google Maps
You're not IN LA or So Cal. Of course you haven't "seen" any.

The map you showed is a black gang map and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

You're right about certain, higher end communities being buffered but they do see their share of thug visitors. For most of So Cal, however, it's as I described. I would not lie about that. That's part of the reason the state is going downhill.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
You're not IN LA or So Cal. Of course you haven't "seen" any.

The map you showed is a black gang map and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

You're right about certain, higher end communities being buffered but they do see their share of thug visitors. For most of So Cal, however, it's as I described. I would not lie about that. That's part of the reason the state is going downhill.
Gangs aren't even in the top five problems facing Southern Californians.

Traffic
Schools
Unemployment
Traffic (I'll mention it twice just because it is so bad)
Illegal Aliens
Unbalanced, out of tune real estate
High property taxes (Ask someone who just bought an $800K home which he would rather have, a 30% reduction in his property taxes or a 30% reduction in gangs.)
Potentially high gasoline prices (would affect so many drivers)
Public Transportation

Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,828,016 times
Quote:
Ya but....

I'd bet if someone analyzed the City-Data posters interested in relocating to Southern California, and put them into categories (think City-Data Barbies), there might be one group of people for which moving to SoCal might work out.

The results of this analysis might come out like this:
The single 20 something City-Data Barbie
- Watches a lot of TV
- Looking for $700/month 1 bedroom apartment, near the beach, which will allow his three 100lb dogs
- Lives in midwest
- Posts in January, a couple days after watching the Rose Parade

The 48 year old, mid career, four kids City-Data Barbie
- Observes housing prices dropping from stratosphere into the jet routes
- Is occupied in a sector not completely slammed by recession and that is hiring
- Company is relocating him
- Must reconcile work location (can't afford or bad schools) with affordable neighborhood (long commute)

The Can't Stand England City-Data Barbie
- Imagines life in LA as one big outdoor pub
- Fully aware of the first class dental cosmetic procedures available in LA
- Wonders why he is the only guy wearing a speedo type bathing suit at the beach

The I Want To Be A Movie Star City-Data Barbie
- Prom Queen in Springdale High School (graduating class of 37) in Iowa
- Arrives in LA with a 40 pound makeup kit and 20 pound suitcase
- Becomes most popular "star" as watched on laptops by lonely traveling businessmen in their hotel rooms.
- Tom Petty writes a sad song about her
So which one is it?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
So which one is it?
love it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California