Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

61 posts, read 128,088 times

Advertisements

You need to get you facts right dude . Reagen cut more taxes than he raised by a long shot . I know my taxes went down under him .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,337,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
You need to get you facts right dude . Reagon cut more taxes than he raised by a long shot .
It helps when you at least spell your hero's name correctly! But I am not an expert & only point out what I have read that Governor Reagan raised taxes on Californians. If he later on lowered taxes, I really don't know the answer but there are several really sharp posters who can likely provide the answer.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM

61 posts, read 128,088 times
Reagan's overall record was one of strong fiscal conservatism and no one with an objective mind will contest that . There are many left wingers out there who try to distort his record . Are ya happy I spelled his name right .

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,502,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Reagan did not hesitate to raise taxes when necessary [and he did just that when governor].
Reagan was able to push through the largest income tax increase in the history of the state. At the same time, he made massive budget cuts to show that he was serious about limiting spending. He had a good working relationship with Dem Speaker of the Assembly Jesse Unruh, similar to the good working relationship that he would have as President with Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill.

My family DESPISED Reagan when he was governor, but looking back he doesn't seem that bad in comparison to the subsequent Republicans. Deukmejian was competent but presided over a massive expansion of the prisons (he was the last governor to work with a Legislature not subject to term limits, which in retrospect were a bad idea - I voted for term limits due to wanting to get new blood into politics, but they turned out to be nothing more than a game of political musical chairs which strengthened special interests). Wilson was incompetent, inept, and evil. Arnold has been a well intentioned failure who doesn't have the political skills to deal with a dysfunctional Legislature and powerful special interests.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Reagan was able to push through the largest income tax increase in the history of the state. At the same time, he made massive budget cuts to show that he was serious about limiting spending. He had a good working relationship with Dem Speaker of the Assembly Jesse Unruh, similar to the good working relationship that he would have as President with Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill.

My family DESPISED Reagan when he was governor, but looking back he doesn't seem that bad in comparison to the subsequent Republicans. Deukmejian was competent but presided over a massive expansion of the prisons (he was the last governor to work with a Legislature not subject to term limits, which in retrospect were a bad idea - I voted for term limits due to wanting to get new blood into politics, but they turned out to be nothing more than a game of political musical chairs which strengthened special interests). Wilson was incompetent, inept, and evil. Arnold has been a well intentioned failure who doesn't have the political skills to deal with a dysfunctional Legislature and powerful special interests.
You forgot Davis; wasn't he called "Gumby"? I read that the first governor Brown [Jerry Brown's father] was a very good governor who build the freeway system & water project. Also a very famous California governor was Earl Warren [who eventually became the chief justice of the U.S. supreme court].

Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,502,054 times
Quote:
You forgot Davis; wasn't he called "Gumby"?
I was specifically talking about Republicans which is why I left out Jerry Brown and Davis.

Quote:
I read that the first governor Brown [Jerry Brown's father] was a very good governor who build the freeway system & water project. Also a very famous California governor was Earl Warren [who eventually became the chief justice of the U.S. supreme court].
Both men are on every list of the state's greatest governors and helped to build up the state. Warren typified the moderate Bay Area Republicans who used to dominate CA politics back when CA was a very Republican state.

BTW, the construction of the freeway system began under Democratic Gov. Culbert Olson, Warren's predecessor, and continued under Warren, Goody Knight, and Pat Brown.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I was specifically talking about Republicans which is why I left out Jerry Brown and Davis.

Both men are on every list of the state's greatest governors and helped to build up the state. Warren typified the moderate Bay Area Republicans who used to dominate CA politics back when CA was a very Republican state.

BTW, the construction of the freeway system began under Democratic Gov. Culbert Olson, Warren's predecessor, and continued under Warren, Goody Knight, and Pat Brown.
Wow, governor Warren was a Republican? Wasn't he considered one of the most liberal justices on the supreme court or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? But I agree that Republicans in California are entirely different than Republicans in other parts of the nation [mainly the South]. I sure wish the Republican party was like it used to be [then I think our nation would be in better shape].

Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 PM

16,573 posts, read 27,287,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh for heaven's sake, saying conservatives blow up abortion clinics and kill abortion doctors is like saying liberals burn the American flag or march against all wars. There are a handful on both sides that are radical and nuts for that matter. The majority of conservatives do nothing like what you are saying. the majority of liberals don't over-react either. Plus, do you realize not all Republicans are conservative and not all Democrats are nutty liberals?

The biggest thing I see and I have been around quite a while: True liberals are much more narrow minded than conservatives.
Nita
Radicals burn flags. IMO they are different than true liberals. I think you are aware that in the this context, a political one, liberal and conservative are generally used synonymously. The fact that not all dems are liberal and not all reps are conservatives is a different discussion you know it.

You know what? Besides, I never said all. I said "conservatives whining about liberals". Somehow you saw the word all in there and assumed I meant all. I wasn't born yesterday, I know not all, I just didn't think I would have to break it down and explain that to another grown person. My girlfriend is quite conservative actually so yes I am aware of this.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
You have to admit that moving to & living in Arkansas says more about you then you may believe. We seek our own kind.
Haha very true

Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
This is a typical liberal tactic to try and marginalized all conservatives by trying to link them to a few whack jobs out there . You have fringe nut cakes on both sides of the fence . Yes , I left the state , as a matter of SURVIVAL , I wanted a JOB ! I do like to eat ya know . I will continue to point out the truth , facts and realty of what went wrong in my beloved home state of California because I am pissed off about how my home state has been systematically destroyed by the far left .
Oh and this isn't a tactic on your part to do the same thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California