Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you split California if you could?
I'm from northern California and YES I would split it like a banana! 23 27.06%
I'm from northern California and NO, keep the whole enchilada! 24 28.24%
I'm from southern California and Yes I would split it like a banana! 16 18.82%
I'm from southern California and NO, keep the whole enchilada! 22 25.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quite!
Well then you just proved my point. Conservatives are more divisive, and this is seen in the more conservative of our two main political parties (Republicans) when they said some time ago that those in the GOP would have to meet certain criteria or lose funding. Something to that effect. It's basically demonstrating there apparent lack of tolerance for diversity which, like it or not is what the United States Of America is really about as far as people are concerned. Excluding others and in many cases, yours included, and only referring to people who are more like yourself as the "real Americans" is every reason to criticize conservatives. If you really don't see that then you're as blind as you are close minded.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,129,160 times
Quote:
Quite!
Conservatives just prove over and over again how closed minded they really are. In this economy, all conservatives can do is blame legal and illegal immigration on loss of jobs. They are so quick to point the finger at others (like gays, illegals etc) but won't take a look at themselves in the mirror. They go on and on about useless government spending yet support a "war" in the middle east that is in fact useless and means nothing.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well then you just proved my point. Conservatives are more divisive, and this is seen in the more conservative of our two main political parties (Republicans) when they said some time ago that those in the GOP would have to meet certain criteria or lose funding. Something to that effect. It's basically demonstrating there apparent lack of tolerance for diversity which, like it or not is what the United States Of America is really about as far as people are concerned. Excluding others and in many cases, yours included, and only referring to people who are more like yourself as the "real Americans" is every reason to criticize conservatives. If you really don't see that then you're as blind as you are close minded.
Oh, my. You just don't get it. The Mugwumps split from the Republican party in 1884. Many then went on to become independents. I did so in 1990.

As for the rest, why point out the obvious except to stir the pot? I'm a fiscal conservative and a social moderate who spent many years working in politics as an advocate for seniors, as did my wife, and for the mentally ill, and quite effectively at that. At a time when, as now, the Reeps wanted to severely cut services, I helped hold the line and make some advances while keeping a close, analytical eye on the fiscal bottom line. I also did my best to reel in the Dems to try to prevent precisely the mess the state is in now. Obviously without the same measure of success.

End of story and end of discussion. You need to grow up!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-10-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,194,631 times
Quote:
I helped hold the line and make some advances while keeping a close, analytical eye on the fiscal bottom line. I also did my best to reel in the Dems to try to prevent precisely the mess the state is in now.
California badly needs a man like you right now. Perhaps you should consider coming out of retirement and returning. Am getting the impression that there is a fair chance that your path may have crossed at some time with Brown, and that he may recall you personally. Wonder if old Moonbeam might hire you as an outside consultant to help out with the mess?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
California badly needs a man like you right now. Perhaps you should consider coming out of retirement and returning. Am getting the impression that there is a fair chance that your path may have crossed at some time with Brown, and that he may recall you personally. Wonder if old Moonbeam might hire you as an outside consultant to help out with the mess?
Thanks a bunch! Not on your life! I'm already despised by some for being a state retiree. Imagine if I became a double-dipping retread by coming out of retirement.

I was a state peace officer during Jerry Brown's last term. It wasn't until the 90's when I was working in politics and legislation that I met him but it was a casual meeting, we chatted for a couple of minutes, I did not reveal my place in the current administration and there was nothing for him to remember about me. As far as he knew, I was simply another nameless, faceless, analyst in a box!

Although I did spend quite a bit of time at the Capitol and testified on issues before fiscal and policy committees of the Legislature, my preference was to work behind the scenes with members of the Governor's Office, legislative staff and only occasionally the members themselves. I felt I was much more effective that way and had little or no desire for recognition or a public presence. What access and name recognition I had suited me well and was quite enough.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
If it were split into two states it should be "Cali" and "California"! Just to appease those who INSIST on calling it (*shudder*) Cali.
California and Kaalifornia

Perhaps East and West California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California