Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 04:38 AM

7 posts, read 22,260 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Firstly sorry for repetition as I know these threads appear all the time.

I posted about a year and a half a go expressing my interest in moving to California. My dream still exists but I have yet to put the wheels in motion due to the recession and personal circumstances. I am once again looking and after advice to assist a move with my girlfriend

The situation is that my girlfriend's mum is a US citizen but lives in the UK. However my girlfriend has a UK passport as do I. We both have family in US/Canada but not immediate.

I am educated to Post Graduate level (Economics/Law) and she is currently studying her degree.

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience in this kind of set up with regards to Visas and obtaining work.

Many thanks, This forum is a hidden wealth of knowledge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,984,459 times
(1) Have you read all the other "UK citizen wanting to move to California thread"? Believe it or not, there might be something useful.

(2) Your post is a little vague. Are you planning to move in the next 3,6 or 12 months? Are you just thinking about it?

(3) I know very little about immigration law, so I'll leave that to someone else. I would imagine that your girlfriend might be able to apply for dual citizenship, but where was she born? I would think that you have to apply for a visa just like anyone else. I don't think it makes a difference if you have relatives in the U.S.

(4) Do you have a job? I don't think you could get a work visa without one. If your girlfriend is studying, when does she graduate? Does she plan to go with you? Will she also be looking for a job?

(5) What answers did you get a year ago when you posted this same question? I don't imagine anything has changed much regarding visa procedures, job market, etc. I just noticed that you did post this question back in 2008, and the thread is 9 pages long. Not to be rude, but why was it necessary to open a completely new thread?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM

27 posts, read 133,305 times
Your girlfriend could apply for a dual citizenship but that would be no help to you. I was married to an american and couldnt move over here until i had the proper visas. We spent the last half of our first year in different countries.(and i also had my relatives over here who are American citizens)

i dont know..thats not much help is it?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM

746 posts, read 1,671,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank_Hill View Post
Hey guys,

Firstly sorry for repetition as I know these threads appear all the time.

I posted about a year and a half a go expressing my interest in moving to California. My dream still exists but I have yet to put the wheels in motion due to the recession and personal circumstances. I am once again looking and after advice to assist a move with my girlfriend

The situation is that my girlfriend's mum is a US citizen but lives in the UK. However my girlfriend has a UK passport as do I. We both have family in US/Canada but not immediate.

I am educated to Post Graduate level (Economics/Law) and she is currently studying her degree.

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience in this kind of set up with regards to Visas and obtaining work.

Many thanks, This forum is a hidden wealth of knowledge
WHY on earth would you want to live in California? The economy is in the gutter, outrageous taxes! I guess the weather helps....housing is incredibly high though.
Just my thought

Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,728,290 times
Your girlfriend should look into getting US citizenship then she can request to bring you in with a fiancee visa. I have no idea how long that will take. I am currently renewing my green card and it will take 3.5 months so good luck.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,455,016 times
If your girlfriend is also a US citizen and has an American Passport I highly recommend she use it instead of the UK one. By using the UK passport instead of the USA one she is considered to making a "statement of choice" regarding citizenship.

My husband is a Geordie and we live in California. Been through all the immigration stuff before. Feel free to send me a private message

Old 09-10-2010, 05:27 AM

425 posts, read 1,949,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
If your girlfriend is also a US citizen and has an American Passport I highly recommend she use it instead of the UK one. By using the UK passport instead of the USA one she is considered to making a "statement of choice" regarding citizenship.

My husband is a Geordie and we live in California. Been through all the immigration stuff before. Feel free to send me a private message
It sounds like she doesn't have a US passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: