U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:12 PM

22 posts, read 92,952 times

Advertisements

hi,
i am from NY - long island. we have distinctive seasons here, where the leaves change in the fall. are there any towns/areas in cali where the leaves change colors??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 05:20 PM

13,781 posts, read 23,755,254 times
Sacramento has a fall, but later than Long Island. Fall generally starts in late October, and goes a few weeks. Many of the trees here stay green all year, while others lose their leaves. The maples, oaks and elms (yes, there are a lot of elms in Sacramento) are colorful in the fall.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
Wink Move to Thousand Oaks, Ventura California

Ventura County is beautiful, their are so many areas that you could consider depending on price. We don't have extreme weather changes. But it is gorgeous. And you can go to the beach one day and the snow the same week depending on time of year.

urls removed

Last edited by Marka; 06-09-2007 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 06-07-2007, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 92,952 times
Thank you very much. I appreciate your quick reply. What is it like in Sacramento? (demographics, cost of living, teaching jobs-i am a h.s. biology teacher) Thanks, T

Old 06-07-2007, 06:25 PM

27 posts, read 79,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaira View Post
Ventura County is beautiful, their are so many areas that you could consider depending on price. We don't have extreme weather changes. But it is gorgeous. And you can go to the beach one day and the snow the same week depending on time of year.
I live in Ventura County by the beach. When fall comes and I miss the changing leaves, we drive up to Ojai (pronounced Oh-High). There, we can ususaly see some pretty tree colors - but like someone said, later than you all have them. More like late October, early Nov.

Pam

Last edited by Marka; 06-09-2007 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,744,314 times
Plumas county has amazing fall colors. If your in Sacramento, its worth taking the day to cruise up the Feather River Canyon.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 PM

110 posts, read 720,435 times
I live on the Central Coast and we have a beautiful fall season, but the colors are no where close to what you experience on the east coast. We have the yellows, reds, browns. Our colors are not the brilliant colors that I have seen from photographs back east. Our season turns around November. Its my favorite time of the year.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Sacramento

Here is the city data page for Sacramento:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sacram...alifornia.html

Cost of living is comparable to central NJ, or the area around Bethpage LI. Generally, a 1,500 sq ft single home would run in the $350K range, a 2,000 sq ft single home about $450K. Of course, some areas are more expensive than others, but that is a good general starting guide.

Property taxes are much less than Long Island, about 1 1/4% of purchase price and stay pretty flat as long as you own the home. Cost of food is comparable to Long Island, and utilities should be quite a bit less in the winter time.

Summer days are pretty hot, but nights and mornings are very cool, much more comfortable than Long Island, and the humidity is very low too. In the shade, daytime is very pleasant, and we have lots of trees providing shade. It doesn't rain, you don't even have to consider it from May through October. Winter is great, high in the mid 50's to low 60's, and only a handful of days with lows below freezing. It rains from November to April, averaging about twice a week, with the remaining days generally a mix of sunny and overcast in the winter. Here is another site giving some neat information, about the midtown area, quite a bit like some of Long Island:

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Regarding teaching jobs, I really don't know. I can tell you employment is not a problem, and jobs are waiting to be filled all over the place. I would be stunned if you didn't receive multiple offers, I received good job offers and I'm not even looking.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-08-2007 at 10:05 PM..

Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 PM

644 posts, read 3,105,638 times
Why do you want to come to California if you like the change of seasons? Seems kinda odd.

Artie

Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 PM

I found some autumn shots in Sacramento area:

Autumn leaves by Pond pictures from scenery & nature photos on webshots

Artie, maybe they want to see autumn colors with palm trees too ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or