Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,831,611 times

Advertisements

You can probably get a giant house for $1100/mo in Patterson.

It's probably 20-25 minutes to either Modesto or Turlock. If you plan on going out every night, Modesto will be your best bet. If not, you can probably get by in Patterson.

You can always spend your weekends in SF if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 18,905 times
I like the size of modesto, what are the best neighborhoods to live? I plan on spending some time before i move to look at cities/ neighborhoods. From the posts I have seen crime is bad in modesto, but there is crime anywhere you go. Crime rates in Chicago are bad, but it is only certain areas. The city is continously gutting out bad areas and pushing people out. Is this the same case in Modesto, or will I need to wear a bullet proof vest everywhere I go?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis29 View Post
I like the size of modesto, what are the best neighborhoods to live? I plan on spending some time before i move to look at cities/ neighborhoods. From the posts I have seen crime is bad in modesto, but there is crime anywhere you go. Crime rates in Chicago are bad, but it is only certain areas. The city is continously gutting out bad areas and pushing people out. Is this the same case in Modesto, or will I need to wear a bullet proof vest everywhere I go?
No. Modesto will look like Mayberry crime-wise in comparison to Chicago. You'll get murdered once every 11,494 years in Modesto (compare that to once every 5,555 years in Chicago). I'd say that most of Modesto's crime is probably drug-related.

Can't help with specific neighborhoods, but I'm sure others here can.

What I'm wondering is what's with all these Chicagolanders moving to Modesto? (I'm basing this on similar threads).

Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 PM

609 posts, read 1,257,020 times
you're not going to get that in patterson...or near patterson. i wouldnt recommend stockton either...it sucks.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 AM

I have been looking on craigs list for places in modesto, and most of them look out dated... any other suggestions where to search so I can get more of an idea with housing.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I have been looking on craigs list for places in modesto, and most of them look out dated... any other suggestions where to search so I can get more of an idea with housing.
Try this:The Modesto Bee |

Keep in mind, Google Streetview is your friend.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,056,971 times
Quote:
From the posts I have seen crime is bad in modesto, but there is crime anywhere you go. Crime rates in Chicago are bad, but it is only certain areas. The city is continously gutting out bad areas and pushing people out. Is this the same case in Modesto, or will I need to wear a bullet proof vest everywhere I go?
Like any city just watch the neighborhoods. But crime citywide in Modesto is also only 1/3rd the level of Rockford crime, 1/6th as bad as in Gary. So it will seem safe in comparison.

You might also look at some apartment rental sites. Places like rent.com or apartmentguide.com.

And I agree, Google Streetview is your friend. Check out the neighborhood surrounding any apartment rental, the complex might look good in ad pictures but the area may not be somewhere you want to be.

Modesto to Patterson should normally be about a 30 minute commute. The big thing you will find is that a Modesto to Patterson commute will be on 2 lane rural highways. I don't know the day to day commute there, but usually it should be OK.

The 2 problems you will deal with commuting on some days of the year will be slow moving farm related traffic and dense winter fog (the fog is bad about 30 to 40 days per year, visibility can drop below 100 yards). But think of the fog like commuting in a snowstorm, just take precautions and allow time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
What I'm wondering is what's with all these Chicagolanders moving to Modesto? (I'm basing this on similar threads).
I don't know why Modesto, but winter in Chicago and the midwest is a good time to recruit people to move anywhere else for jobs. I tried walking outside in Chicago in winter once and discovered there is a reason I live in California.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 AM

41 posts, read 139,424 times
Quote:

The North/North-East and East sides of Modesto are where all the new home building took place over the past ten years. Newer homes, newer inferstructure.

The West/South-West sides of town are older and more run down with everything that comes with it. Throughout Central Modesto north & south of Briggsmore Ave there is a large mix of middle aged / middle class neighborhoods.

Modesto has an 'ok' nightlife for the area, there are a couple dozen restaurants/clubs/bars in the downtown area and more scattered about town. There are all the big franchise resturants out along Hyw 99 and at the Vintage Fair Mall, Modesto also has most of the big chain stores as well (Best Buy, Home Depot, Target etc, etc.)

The commute from 'Motown' to Patterson is not to bad...the best route is mostly back-country-roads tho.

$1100 a month will get you a nice two bedroom apartment with money left over or a middle aged 2 possibly 3 bedroom house.

I live in Turlock (18 miles south) and my basic utilities for my house average around $250/$300 a month (heat/water/electric/trash/sewer/phone) Cable TV & Internet around $115 a month.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 AM

thanks for the input everyone. I need to spend a weekend out there and visit the surrounding areas, to get a sense of where I would like to live.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM

405 posts, read 1,341,678 times
I'd rather live in Turlock and drive to Modesto for "fun." Personally, I think Modesto is the worst, decent sized town in the state. It's ugly, hot, crappy air and lots of crime. Turlock is all that and more... just less ugly & crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California