Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,326,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Then on the other hand, we have the approach that AZ has just instituted, where cops can stop and check on immigration status, if they believe there's "probable cause".... that should really help relations!
There's a strong backlash over the border in Arizona & they tend to pass laws in the extreme. I do support a secure border & if a person is arrested for a crime that it is OK to check on citizenship. But I disagree that cops should ask people for proof of citizenship over minor issues [i.e. traffic tickets].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,657,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Another aspect that seems to threaten some people but California has Spanish roots big time. Probably more than any other state except New Mexico. The conquistadors discovered California in the 1500's & settled in the 1700's [the same time the 13 Colonies were forming]. Spanish was the dominate language until the late 1800's. California has a rich heritage w/ 21 missions built by padres\ native Californians still standing. How many buildings date back to the 1700's does the rest of America have? I guess the East Coast must have many buildings from the 1700's. Does anyone know where they are? Probably Boston\ New York & Philly, right?
Charleston has buildings dating from the 1600's and the suburbs of Wash DC like Alexandria have buildings from the 1700's. You can have a beer in the same tavern George Washington used to patronize. The oldest city in the US is St Augustine which dates from the 1540's. The Spanish influence has been pervasive from the earliest days of what is now the US.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,256,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You and everyone else in this country are descended from immigrants.
Not a 3rd world country.

Anyway, good luck trying to take over and fk it up like you did yours.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:35 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,256,167 times
Default zzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Excuse me, I am a fourth-generation Californian (YEAH RIGHT) .

The Latino culture is stronger than the predominant white culture because their family values are stronger.
Stronger at popping out tons and tons of poor, broke, and unfortunate 3rd world families. Definitely not stronger in terms of prestige, power, and importance.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:40 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,675,453 times
California is in such a mess. I don't even know where to begin.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:53 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,763,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
None of the things in CA really bother me except for the cost of living. Politics? Who cares. There is nothing I can do about it and it doesn't affect me that much except for the paycuts that my wife and I got courtesy of the Governor.
Yet the politics in California affect both your paycheck and the cost of living. Seems like a major disconnect there

Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,408,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yet the politics in California affect both your paycheck and the cost of living. Seems like a major disconnect there
It might be difficult to imagine for some, but not everyone evaluates their life just by "money" and "cost" (or politics). As Oscar Wilde said, "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 PM

491 posts, read 1,256,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Politicians are bought and paid for by special interest groups in this country. There is nothing I can do about it. I'm sure as hell not going to foam at the mouth and spend my time listening to talk radio. Now there's a disconnect for you.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yeah and California tax payers get very little return on the federal taxes that go to support for the Southern states. I guess we should gripe about all the lazy white Southerners taking our hard earned tax money!
Your wrong on so many levels. First, thats racist. Second, more black southerners as a percentage are on welfare than whites. A lot of that is attributable to the Jim Crow laws and discrimination blacks faced up until the 60's, hence whites have been able to acquire more wealth explaining the higher poverty rates amongst blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California