Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times

Advertisements

Hope for California's future? | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...31&newsLang=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,360,698 times
Just in case people are too lazy to read the article, here's the crux of it:

Quote:

Among the survey’s key findings:
  • 91 percent say the condition of California economy is only fair or poor
  • 91 percent say job opportunities in California are only fair or poor
  • 76 percent say they see no signs of the job market improving in California
  • 65 percent say they see no signs the real estate market in California is improving
  • 64 percent said California is a good or great place to live
  • 62 percent of respondents are comfortable with their level of debt
Overall, Californians identified few signs of a recovery

Similarly:
  • 62 percent of Bay Area residents believe job opportunities will be better in the next 12 months compared to 56 percent of Los Angeles-area residents
  • 35 percent in San Francisco see signs that the real estate market has improved, compared to 26 percent in Los Angeles
  • 48 percent in the Los Angeles area believe the country is on the “wrong track,” compared to 38 percent in San Francisco
  • 41 percent of Bay Area residents believe it is currently a good time to purchase big-ticket items, compared to 32 percent of Los Angeles-area residents
Basically, no matter how miserably the economy is doing here, its still possible to be happy here.

This is why CD isn't the most representative sample of Californians.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,341,247 times
Why are people optimistic in California? Are people in other states as optimistic about the future? Or is this a California phenomena?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,680,270 times
All I know is when I return home after being away I feel like kissing the ground.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:01 PM

37,077 posts, read 42,043,953 times
Believe it or not I have lived most of my life ignorant to the politics of CA. When things got bad, gas lines, high prices, etc. it seemed to effect everyone else in the USA as well. It's not that I don't vote, or don't ever read/hear about stuff or have and idea of what's going on....it's just that whatever is happening usually doesn't effect my day to day life to dramatically and, if it has, I've adjusted seemlessly. I have my own ideas and opinions but I'm not in a position to do much about that. I guess you just get used to things and accpet what you can't change. Or, if things bother you, you move elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,941,471 times
The state is a complete mess. I am shocked that many people living in LA are ok with how things are right now. LA is in much worse shape than the rest of the state. DWP rate fees, LAUSD is a joke, sales tax increase...I'm just glad I moved out of LA county when I did.

Alot of my friends have never lived anywhere else than here. I was seriously thinking of moving to Oregon a few years ago. They were shocked anyone would want to move out of California. I feel there is a massive naive attitude where we are told CA is the place to be even though the facts are, leaving CA now is probably a good move.

I'm lucky, without the housing bubble burst there is no way I could have purchased a home. In another way, I'm stuck working a job I HATE. I know there are plenty of people who would love to have my job but I still hate it. I've applied and searched for a long time with zero luck. I feel like I'm stuck where I am now and it sucks but it could be worse.

I'm just worried the state is going to get worse before it gets better. I think nationwide, the country is barely starting to rebound. I do not think California has hit its bottom yet.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,563,394 times
I'm confident California will pull out of this mess we're in.

Supremely confident.

Nobody I know is planning on moving out of the state... I love my job, my company is expanding and we're actually turning away business because we simply don't have the room or time.

Me and my hubby just bought a new car and we're also in the market for a house. So... not everyone is doing terrible here in California

Old 04-08-2010, 04:56 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,261,788 times
Great scenery, great weather, and great history but way too many immigrants that have turned it into a 3rd world country.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Great scenery, great weather, and great history but way too many immigrants that have turned it into a 3rd world country.

Maybe some parts of California, but not the majority of California.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:51 PM

181 posts, read 321,836 times
Where are the jobs? I am just curious?

California is beautiful. The weather IS great. My family is here. This is why I stay.

However, I see the cost of living and taxes climbing, but my salary isn't meeting the increases. My husband has applied everywhere. He is willing to do anything at this point. Just today, he applied at a local ATV shop and Walmart.

I guess my point is, I understand the lack of confidence in CA right now. I am surprised those numbers as high as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California