Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

Are you a auto registration cheater ? I would never report anyone (unless i despise them). http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
What is really funny is that these people know about the law as the state they left has it as well.
I used to call them in, thanks for the link.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Plenty of good people get caught-up in the system... I know of one.

Her Husband is active duty military and Florida is their home state. They both drive cars with Florida Plates... which is 100% legal for active duty military and their spouse.

Every couple of months she would get a letter in the mail and even got a citation one time when the police officer cited her for her plates... she had to take a half day off from work and the Judge looked at her military papers and chided the officer for not knowing the law...

In another case... the Grandparent of a friends of mine would come to stay a few weeks at a time to help with the kids or when her Grand Daughter had surgery... she was also stopped and had to explain that she was retired and visits her family in CA often.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Is a fine involved or it is like a fix it ticket or something like that? I know of several that have moved here that are not in the service and they have yet to change their plates. I can see the point of both the driver and the state. The driver may just want to save some money untill the registration expires. The state offers roadways that are paid for in part by the registration costs.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I think what happens is that it gets filmed when they come out to your house to demand payment. A DMV clerk acts out in a jealous rage, claiming you're messing around with another state's DMV and that you've been unfaithful to the CA DMV. It's all very dramatic.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM

I believe its a fix it ticket. Thats a 25.00 fine plus you gotta pay all the thieving dmv fees & get a smog & ca plates. Its NOT cheap. I drove for over 3 yrs with out of state plates all over so.ca. I never had one problem but this was awhile back. The state wants your money & even if you're driving a old beater they will still legally steal from you. My plates on my 85 olds are going to be 78.00. What a bunch of dirty crooks. I can honestly see why barely anyone likes the ca legislature & govenor benedict arnold.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I have got tickets to reregister my truck when I was working in Las Vegas, cop told me he seen me each morning at 5:30 on the way to work. A good officer would notice this behavior. I simply ignored the ticket, showed the ticket to the officer when I got pulled over again and paid it when the job was done.

Do I like paying yearly tax added to my auto registration, no. But the tax would just be added somewhere else like other states do. Since we have prop 13 in our pocket - we do not have out of control property taxes like other states. If a few renters, desert rats or trailer queens do not like it, so what. We have a more equal tax per person here than other states.

Wow, this thread gives me all kinds of Déjà vu.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
The state gets about 100 tips per day at that hotline.

It was discussed in this San Jose Mercury column a few months ago. Lots of people upset in the article about both out-of-state registrations and expired tags.
Roadshow: Drivers irked by motorists with expired registration tags - Inside Bay Area

Last year the state collected over $1 million for out of state registrations on California resident vehicles.

Then there are expired California tags. Last year the state collected over $173 million in fees and fines for expired registrations.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:03 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The state gets about 100 tips per day at that hotline.

It was discussed in this San Jose Mercury column a few months ago. Lots of people upset in the article about both out-of-state registrations and expired tags.
Roadshow: Drivers irked by motorists with expired registration tags - Inside Bay Area

Last year the state collected over $1 million for out of state registrations on California resident vehicles.

Then there are expired California tags. Last year the state collected over $173 million in fees and fines for expired registrations.
I've been pulled over twice for expired tags... the problem was my tags were current and I had the registration to prove it... so far, my tags have been stolen 3 times

As the cost of licensing increases and the difficulty... the theft of tags has become rampant in some areas...

Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've been pulled over twice for expired tags... the problem was my tags were current and I had the registration to prove it... so far, my tags have been stolen 3 times

As the cost of licensing increases and the difficulty... the theft of tags has become rampant in some areas...
My neighbor had her tags stolen. Whats it cost now to replace the tags & did you get a fix it ticket at all ? I believe the dmv fees are getting way out of control. When you have tards in the legislature its expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California