U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,200,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Two quick points...

Today's Oakland Tribune ran a story that local law enforcement no longer recruits... the recruiter positions were eliminated in the budget cuts... the good news is the academy in Alameda County is flooded with applicants... almost too many to process... the average academy grad went from 23 a few years ago to over 29 now... and many are paying their own way in the hopes of getting picked-up at graduation.

When asked... the number one reason was a combination of Job pay, benefits and employment security. So clearly, the current package is more than enough to entice new applicants... many with Bachelor and even Master's degrees.

Second... A retired Police Officer family friend privately said he was nothing more than a glorified cab driver with a gun... In 34 years on the job, he never drew his service revolver once... yes, he still carried his department issued revolver.

Most of his time was spent ferrying prisoners to county jail...

Additional Comment... if you truly want to talk about dangerous jobs that pay minimum wage... how about the night cashiers at a 24 hour service station... my brother and everyone that worked that job had all been robbed at gun point... after the second time when the robber fired several shots a point blank range... with only the security glass to save him... my brother quit. One more shot would have penetrated... the glass will not stop multiple high power bullets at point blank at the same spot...

There are plenty of dangerous professions... when my Uncle was died in the line of Duty... his only benefit was a department 10k life insurance policy...

Today's Police Officers can rest easy know their family will be provider for, their children can attend college tuition free... should the worst happen...
Yes, there are plenty of dangerous professions but how many of them have to do with saving people, total strangers? If driving an oil tank truck is dangerous [which I assume it is] it has nothing to do with protecting others. The nobleness of the profession of police work is hard to compare to other jobs where the individual is doing dangerous things just for the money [race car driver, for example].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 03:09 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,038,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yes, there are plenty of dangerous professions but how many of them have to do with saving people, total strangers? If driving an oil tank truck is dangerous [which I assume it is] it has nothing to do with protecting others. The nobleness of the profession of police work is hard to compare to other jobs where the individual is doing dangerous things just for the money [race car driver, for example].
I agree and that is why my Uncle went into Law Enforcement... it certainly was not for the pay or benefits in 1964...

I found it interesting that Protecting others didn't make the list of reasons for new academy applicants. Most had a career and suddenly found themselves out of work and prospects slim in their chosen field.

I work in the medical profession and say we are all about saving people... the EMT's that serve our community do not get paid much, deal daily with life and death, and are often in dangerous situations... anywhere from exposure to aids, being hit by a motorist and even being shot at when they respond to shootings here in Oakland CA...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-11-2010 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 03:29 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,028,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I kind of agree, but at least in the bigger cities of California (especially in LA), you won't find as many 23 year olds with degrees that would want to be cops. Most of the time, the police recruit locally for their cadets, and most of the people who live in bad neighborhoods want to leave them as quickly as possible. Why would they want to come back and patrol those same neighborhoods?

In addition, getting a bachelor's degree may not give you the requisite natural instinct or street smarts it takes to be a cop. However, there are some that do (like my friend who wants to be a cop after getting his B.A. from Berkeley), but the vast majority don't. That takes more than formal education to do so.
I agree that 4-5 yrs. of college might not give you all those street smarts, but I'll help. And it would give you time to grow and mature. You can't work the street until you're 21, so at least 2 yrs. with an A.A., at least. I'll never say someone needs college to be an educated person, I don't believe that. But I wouldn't mind seeing a person who is given that much money, power and resposibility have a little more schooling than just high school.

And personally, I tend to believe that people who become cops, WANT to be cops, for whatever reason. So I believe an education requirement would just be another added step to them. You know, you have to be 21. So why not make them go to school or join the military during those first couple or three yrs. out of high school. It wouldn't hurt.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:16 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,028,799 times
Quote:

Today's Police Officers can rest easy know their family will be provider for, their children can attend college tuition free... should the worst happen and know they will be memorized... the same is not true for those in our military.
True story. Had a friend, a Marine, just got back home after being in combat. I and a few friends went to see him at his folk's house. At night. We were talking in his driveway. Cop cars pull up, three come walking up. "Hey boys, having a party?" We said no, just visiting. We were searched, our stuff searched. I guess there was a party going on, but it was a block away. I asked one officer, what gives you right to search us and our stuff for just talking in this guy's yard. He tells me last week someone tried to pull a knife on him (in Los Osos? anyone ever been here?) and he ain't taking any chances on the street. I had to laugh, the streets of Los Osos? What a joke. My buddy nearly got his head blown off, fighting in some hole halfway around the world and you're complaining about Los Osos. I guarantee that sheriff's deputy wouldn't have had the balls to go through what my buddy went through. I guess my point is, the one I believe who was really responsible for saving LIVES was the guy getting searched and harassed. When you want to talk about who's a hero, let's put it in perspective.

Quote:

I work in the medical profession and say we are all about saving people... the EMT's that serve our community do not get paid much, deal daily with life and death, and are often in dangerous situations... anywhere from exposure to aids, being hit by a motorist and even being shot at when they respond to shootings here in Oakland CA...
Yeah, and what does an EMT make? squat.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,796,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
No offense but I have a really hard time appreciating a post criticizing the pay of law enforcement. Would you like to go to work each day knowing you might never come home due to the danger of your job? Some people seem to complain about everything but don't focus one bit on improving there own life. Now we have cop-haters on the forum!
I took the written test for them back in '08 and passed it, but never took it quite further than that.
Pay/benefits sounds good at first, but I became a little doubtful of going any further with it due to all the other people at the testing site and their "get rich quick" attitude of wanting to get involved with law-enforcement.

I felt like going in due to getting that rush out of life and feeling like the "hero of the day", not to mention the "lone ranger" feeling of being out in a remote desert(hot weather I like).

But if I have to potentially work together or face ostracizing from those types of clowns, I'll pick this chapter up in another state or area where it's not about "joining the country club".

Nonetheless, I stay out of their hair, they stay out of mine.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,038,772 times
Part of it is like being part of a club...

High school buddy was always getting pulled over for driving too fast... I was in the car twice when it happened.

The first time I was really nervous... never being in a car that was pulled over.

My 16 year old friend tells the officer that he got a little carried away driving his Dad's car... it had a 455 in a Pontiac Catalina.

As the officer pulled out his ticket book, my friend said his dad is a deputy and he would be on restriction for a month getting a ticket... the officer asked where his dad worked, who was the commander and what shift... his dad worked the county jail... the officer didn't give him a ticket and said that he would be letting his Dad know that he was pulled over...

When we got back to his house, his Dad said he had missed a call from a police officer about his son and wanted to know what happened... my friend told his Dad that he was pulled over for speeding 40 in a 25 zone... his Dad asked to see the ticket and was pleased to hear about the warning... he wasn't even upset... just said to watch it next time...

Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM

9,715 posts, read 18,355,234 times
Does anyone plan to apply for a job in law enforcement ? If i wouldnt mind being a detective. It beats giving tickets & getting hemroids yrs later from sitting in the patrol car alot.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM

9,715 posts, read 18,355,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
True story. Had a friend, a Marine, just got back home after being in combat. I and a few friends went to see him at his folk's house. At night. We were talking in his driveway. Cop cars pull up, three come walking up. "Hey boys, having a party?" We said no, just visiting. We were searched, our stuff searched. I guess there was a party going on, but it was a block away. I asked one officer, what gives you right to search us and our stuff for just talking in this guy's yard. He tells me last week someone tried to pull a knife on him (in Los Osos? anyone ever been here?) and he ain't taking any chances on the street. I had to laugh, the streets of Los Osos? What a joke. My buddy nearly got his head blown off, fighting in some hole halfway around the world and you're complaining about Los Osos. I guarantee that sheriff's deputy wouldn't have had the balls to go through what my buddy went through. I guess my point is, the one I believe who was really responsible for saving LIVES was the guy getting searched and harassed. When you want to talk about who's a hero, let's put it in perspective.

Yeah, and what does an EMT make? squat.
A EMT makes peanuts yet the thieving companies they work for robs you blind. Its unbelievable how much they charge to transport you to a hospital. Greedy rats!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:47 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,107,355 times
Does CA require a psychological evaluation prior to being hired as a cop? The reason I ask is because WI didn't until this happened: Crandon, Wisconsin shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,367,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Does CA require a psychological evaluation prior to being hired as a cop?
Yes! Every department I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California