U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times

Advertisements

Yes... and much more.

I'm sure it is similar for the CHP... here they will contact employers, teachers, neighbors, old girl or boy friends etc...

As a property manager, I've been contacted several times for background on prospective academy cadets... the city is investing a lot of money in each cadet and even then, some get let go and others drop out.

San Leandro had a new Police Officer that was well liked... even by those he arrested... most of them anyway. He was 42 when he realized his lifelong dream to be a police officer. He came to the job with tremendous people skills and knew the community like the veteran he was...

Sadly, he was killed by an ex con on a traffic stop... I remember thinking in my interactions with him that he was the total embodiment of a Public Servant trying to make his community a better place.

http://cbs5.com/local/Dan.Niemi.San.2.434321.html (broken link)

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-11-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sadly, he was killed by an ex con on a traffic stop... I remember thinking in my interactions with him that he was the total embodiment of a Public Servant trying to make his community a better place.
OUCH! I sympathize with you , the community and his family and loved ones.

Ten days after I left law enforcement, one of my partners on the multi-agency narcotics task force I was a part of was killed on duty. His wife (they had two young children) begged him to leave narcotics and return to patrol which she thought was safer. He did! He was shot by a meth user while responding to a domestic violence call.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
OUCH! I sympathize with you , the community and his family and loved ones.

Ten days after I left law enforcement, one of my partners on the multi-agency narcotics task force I was a part of was killed on duty. His wife (they had two young children) begged him to leave narcotics and return to patrol which she thought was safer. He did! He was shot by a meth user while responding to a domestic violence call.
No doubt about it... the tragedy is compounded many times... especially when it is someone you know... the only good thing is the community rallied around the family and his children will always know how well loved and respected their father is.

I never mentioned it.. my Dad worked briefly as a "Special" Deputy in Nevada, years before I was born and later in CA as a Law Enforcement Inspector through one of the States numerous commissions... The definition of Peace Officer is rather broad.

A local case made lots of news... a school janitor had just finished his 11 pm shift and went home to sleep... his neighborhood had a rash of crime and he had been burglarized a couple of weeks prior... he kept a firearm for home protection.

He is awakened by the crash of someone coming through his kitchen door and broken glass... he reaches for his gun and shoots the masked intruder from his bed as the intruder kicked open his bedroom door... he shot a swat police officer that had gone to the wrong house on a no knock warrant... another tragedy.

The janitor had no criminal history and had been voted district custodian of the year... he was also hearing impaired.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
He is awakened by the crash of someone coming through his kitchen door and broken glass... he reaches for his gun and shoots the masked intruder from his bed as the intruder kicked open his bedroom door... he shot a swat police officer that had gone to the wrong house on a no knock warrant... another tragedy.

The janitor had no criminal history and had been voted district custodian of the year... he was also hearing impaired.
Tragic!

Precisely why I value the Castle Doctrine we have in this state.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,824,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
A EMT makes peanuts yet the thieving companies they work for robs you blind. Its unbelievable how much they charge to transport you to a hospital. Greedy rats!
The requirements just to be a CA Enter basic are too great to justify the compensation.
First it's a 6 month training class provided you have a CPR/First Aid card from the American Heart Association (booted from class if it's Red Cross or other entity).

Then after that, it's a 48hr internship between an ER and ambulance before you get your card.

Then next it's the NREMT, CA state certs, and then a county cert that are needed in addition to also taking another DMV test for the ambulance driver certificate.

After reviewing all these steps for this single job certification and stacking them up against a POST Level 1 academy curriculum, it staggers the mind.

I'll keep my class-A and wait for the accident to drop instead.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,427,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
The requirements just to be a CA Enter basic are too great to justify the compensation.
First it's a 6 month training class provided you have a CPR/First Aid card from the American Heart Association (booted from class if it's Red Cross or other entity).

Then after that, it's a 48hr internship between an ER and ambulance before you get your card.

Then next it's the NREMT, CA state certs, and then a county cert that are needed in addition to also taking another DMV test for the ambulance driver certificate.

After reviewing all these steps for this single job certification and stacking them up against a POST Level 1 academy curriculum, it staggers the mind.

I'll keep my class-A and wait for the accident to drop instead.
A EMT deserves a min of 15.00 hr. In ca i think they earn less then 10.00 hr (not sure). The ambulance companies make alot of money so i dont see any reason why they dont pay their employees well. Many cities charge a paramedic fee. I pay 52.00 a yr for paremedic service & have never used it once. The fee covers the paramedic to come to your home & treat you but not transport you. I dont want the service but the idiot politicians in yucaipa say i have no pay it. Just another reason why i dont like most politicians.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 PM

457 posts, read 1,012,701 times
Quote:

Second... A retired Police Officer family friend privately said he was nothing more than a glorified cab driver with a gun... In 34 years on the job, he never drew his service revolver... not even once... yes, he still carried his department issued revolver.

Most of his time was spent ferrying prisoners to county jail...
I think now days they're called "certified armed secretaries" for how many reports they take.

I would never make a claim that a police officer has the most dangerous job but they can claim they are the only profession most likely to be killed simply for the job they have. I can't think of another job where people go to work and might be getting in a fight, possibly for their life on any given day. I think police officers definately are the most hated for their profession. I can't think of another profession where people hate you simply for what you do.

I commend all members of law enforcement and the military for protecting the people and our country. Thank you.

I will gladly take care of both of them with my taxes. Now, some other things I think should be on the chopping block.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,824,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
A EMT deserves a min of 15.00 hr. In ca i think they earn less then 10.00 hr (not sure). The ambulance companies make alot of money so i dont see any reason why they dont pay their employees well. Many cities charge a paramedic fee. I pay 52.00 a yr for paremedic service & have never used it once. The fee covers the paramedic to come to your home & treat you but not transport you. I dont want the service but the idiot politicians in yucaipa say i have no pay it. Just another reason why i dont like most politicians.
Sad part is six months to a year of EMT basic is required before they'll let you into a community college paramedic program.
Then it's workload on top of workload with only a somewhat increase in salary.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 AM

26,090 posts, read 28,500,170 times
Quote:
I work in the medical profession and say we are all about saving people... the EMT's that serve our community do not get paid much, deal daily with life and death, and are often in dangerous situations... anywhere from exposure to aids, being hit by a motorist and even being shot at when they respond to shootings here in Oakland CA...
^^^^ reps to you. And the EMT's don't get pensions at all!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM

181 posts, read 282,121 times
Police have GREAT bargaining with regards to unions. However, they only look out for themselves. They will layoff cops to keep their salaries and benefits increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California