U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,888 posts, read 6,445,325 times
Reputation: 2005

Advertisements

The reason why CHP has a higher salary than just about any department in this state is because they deserve it. Their academy is by far the toughest in the state. 27 weeks up in Sacramento. You have to live at the academy. It is as military as you can get for police training. LAPD, Sheriff's, etc. you get to go home after each day and spend the weekend at home...its pretty much like a normal job compared to the CHP training. Also, 27 weeks is the longest from the research I have done. I know OC Sheriffs is very close but other than those two departments, most are only 4 months. You have to be on top of your game 24/7 for nearly 7 months since they will inspect your room for dust and whatnot.

CHP training encompasses alot because they have to train you as if you are going to be stationed near a city or in the middle of nowhere. The ones stationed in the middle of nowhere are really the only cops in that area. Therefore, they have to be able to handle everyday situations just like a city cop. Of course, most are stationed near a city and they do most of their interactions on the freeways. Their driver training is extremely difficult compared to other departments as well. From what I was told, you have to drive side by side with another vehicle going 100 mphs on a wet road course...that is just sick.

You do have to remember, CHP officers are state officers so they have to be able to know how to work in Fresno and San Diego if they need to switch locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Reputation: 29076
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgoldilocks View Post
Police have GREAT bargaining with regards to unions. However, they only look out for themselves. They will layoff cops to keep their salaries and benefits increasing.
WOW! That is nothing less than stinkin' thinkin'! I was one. My job and passion were to look out for the community.

I don't know where you are but, sorry about your cops!

Yes, the unions are out of control but the next time you need help I suggest you call a hippie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Baywood Park
1,634 posts, read 6,044,195 times
Reputation: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
I think now days they're called "certified armed secretaries" for how many reports they take.

I would never make a claim that a police officer has the most dangerous job but they can claim they are the only profession most likely to be killed simply for the job they have. I can't think of another job where people go to work and might be getting in a fight, possibly for their life on any given day. I think police officers definately are the most hated for their profession. I can't think of another profession where people hate you simply for what you do.

I commend all members of law enforcement and the military for protecting the people and our country. Thank you.

I will gladly take care of both of them with my taxes. Now, some other things I think should be on the chopping block.
Let me see? We have our military, prisons, mental institutions....these people can all die simply for the job they have. A psych tech at a hospital has to constantly deal with real nut jobs. What do they have? their fists. Cop has a gun, club, pepper spray and handcuffs. Nurses, counselors, cooks..these people can all die, everyday, working at these institutions. And I don't have to mention what our military faces everyday.

Civilian police have a necessary function. But how can you compare them to the military in the same respect for "protecting our country"? I don't think the two should be mentioned together. One has a relatively safe job with pay, perks, bennies, retiremnet up the ying-yang. And the other is away from their families for 7-15 months, living in hell, sleeps in a hole in the ground, with the constant possibility of being shot or blown up. Maybe it's me, but I see a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 PM
 
26,132 posts, read 28,521,132 times
Reputation: 24844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
WOW! That is nothing less than stinkin' thinkin'! I was one. My job and passion were to look out for the community.

I don't know where you are but, sorry about your cops!

Yes, the unions are out of control but the next time you need help I suggest you call a hippie!
Sorry, Curmudgeon, but it's the truth. I see it all the time with cops, firemen, & prison guards. Their unions has no regard for the state's fiscal problems or other public sector workers.

Now, granted, the state's other unions wouldn't be any better if they had the same amount of power. But making ever more wage demands even when the state has been in a fiscal quagmire for years is going to stop. The only question is when. It will stop either before we go off a financial cliff or after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM
 
457 posts, read 1,013,044 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Let me see? We have our military, prisons, mental institutions....these people can all die simply for the job they have. A psych tech at a hospital has to constantly deal with real nut jobs. What do they have? their fists. Cop has a gun, club, pepper spray and handcuffs. Nurses, counselors, cooks..these people can all die, everyday, working at these institutions. And I don't have to mention what our military faces everyday.

Civilian police have a necessary function. But how can you compare them to the military in the same respect for "protecting our country"? I don't think the two should be mentioned together. One has a relatively safe job with pay, perks, bennies, retiremnet up the ying-yang. And the other is away from their families for 7-15 months, living in hell, sleeps in a hole in the ground, with the constant possibility of being shot or blown up. Maybe it's me, but I see a difference.
My post wasn't supposed to be taken offensively. Did you read it correctly? I never once said police officers had the most dangerous job. I will use your examples you listed. I can not think of someone trying to kill their mental health doctor becuase they are a doctor. I have never heard of a psych tech at a hosptial being killed because of the job they have. I have not heard of a nurse, couselor, cook etc be murdered because of the job they have. I won't argue that they might have to put up with some actions from the "nut jobs" but who do they call? They call the police to come clean up the mess. Maybe I'm wrong but I would doubt it.

Again, you did not read what I wrote. This is what I wrote "I commend all members of law enforcement and the military for protecting the people and our country. Thank you." It says people and country. You should talk to a few police officers and I would say at least half seem to always be prior military and I would say this is a conservative guess.

Don't think I underestimate what our military does for this country. I was merely expressing my gratitude to the people who serve our local communites and country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
 
26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
Reputation: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
My post wasn't supposed to be taken offensively. Did you read it correctly? I never once said police officers had the most dangerous job. I will use your examples you listed. I can not think of someone trying to kill their mental health doctor becuase they are a doctor. I have never heard of a psych tech at a hosptial being killed because of the job they have. I have not heard of a nurse, couselor, cook etc be murdered because of the job they have. I won't argue that they might have to put up with some actions from the "nut jobs" but who do they call? They call the police to come clean up the mess. Maybe I'm wrong but I would doubt it.

Again, you did not read what I wrote. This is what I wrote "I commend all members of law enforcement and the military for protecting the people and our country. Thank you." It says people and country. You should talk to a few police officers and I would say at least half seem to always be prior military and I would say this is a conservative guess.

Don't think I underestimate what our military does for this country. I was merely expressing my gratitude to the people who serve our local communites and country.
Doctors and Health Care providers are attacked all the time... many times the patients come in on Drugs or otherwise disturbed... doesn't make the threat any less real and the chance for intentional exposure to Aids and Hep is a real on the job hazard that we face daily aside from the violence.

Is Murder Hospital's Fault? Premises Liability: The Lunatics Have Taken Over the Asylum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
 
457 posts, read 1,013,044 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Doctors and Health Care providers are attacked all the time... many times the patients come in on Drugs or otherwise disturbed... doesn't make the threat any less real and the chance for intentional exposure to Aids and Hep is a real on the job hazard that we face daily aside from the violence.

Is Murder Hospital's Fault? Premises Liability: The Lunatics Have Taken Over the Asylum
Don't take what I wrote the wrong way. I don't dispute the arguement of how many other people are exposed to the dangers of the general populous. I personally don't like going to hospitals unless I have to based on my own personal reasons. Anyone dealing with the public will usually have some danger involved because it means dealing with humans. I have seen people going crazy in the hospital and know what health care professionals have to deal with. I personally am grossed out by a lot of it. I think the workers easily earn the salaries they make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
 
181 posts, read 282,220 times
Reputation: 170
This is exactly what I meant. Our county is trying to prevent layoffs. My bargaining unit has forgone raises for 2.5 years trying to save jobs. But alas, the Sheriff's Dept says "no". They get their raises and perks. Funny thing is, I go out to the SAME homes with NO radios, no weapons. I have walked in on domestic violence, knife fights, you name it.

Maybe when the police get shot, they can call some hippies too. We nurses will be on strike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Baywood Park
1,634 posts, read 6,044,195 times
Reputation: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
My post wasn't supposed to be taken offensively. Did you read it correctly? I never once said police officers had the most dangerous job. I will use your examples you listed. I can not think of someone trying to kill their mental health doctor becuase they are a doctor. I have never heard of a psych tech at a hosptial being killed because of the job they have. I have not heard of a nurse, couselor, cook etc be murdered because of the job they have. I won't argue that they might have to put up with some actions from the "nut jobs" but who do they call? They call the police to come clean up the mess. Maybe I'm wrong but I would doubt it.

Again, you did not read what I wrote. This is what I wrote "I commend all members of law enforcement and the military for protecting the people and our country. Thank you." It says people and country. You should talk to a few police officers and I would say at least half seem to always be prior military and I would say this is a conservative guess.

Don't think I underestimate what our military does for this country. I was merely expressing my gratitude to the people who serve our local communites and country.
I read every word, every single world. I saw that you said you're not calling the most dangerous job. All I'm saying is that a lot of jobs are dangerous and I totally disagree with mentioning civilian police and our soldiers in the same breath. Especially, with the "they keep our counrty safe", "they put their lives on the line for us", stuff. That's all, I just see a difference. I've never met a soldier who thought he deserved the world for what he does, they're just doing their job. It sounds like a lot of police have the opposite view. Not all Curmudgeon. I'm not saying that.

Police officer is the only occupation you can think of where people try to kill them just because they are police officers? How often does that happen? "I think I'm going to kill a cop today, just for being a cop!!" I don't know, I think that's pretty rare. I'm no expert, but my guess would be the perp. kills because he doesn't want to go to or back to, jail or prison. Or they're a complete psycho. Not because they have such a deep seeded hatred for the police, they kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM
 
26,132 posts, read 28,521,132 times
Reputation: 24844
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgoldilocks View Post
This is exactly what I meant. Our county is trying to prevent layoffs. My bargaining unit has forgone raises for 2.5 years trying to save jobs. But alas, the Sheriff's Dept says "no". They get their raises and perks. Funny thing is, I go out to the SAME homes with NO radios, no weapons. I have walked in on domestic violence, knife fights, you name it.

Maybe when the police get shot, they can call some hippies too. We nurses will be on strike.
Right on. It's a similar story where I work. The only thing I disagree with is the strike part. I don't believe 2 wrongs make a right. Now, if public sector workers were to strike to get police, firemen, & prison guards to take pay freezes or pay cuts like the rest of us...well...I'd be completely in favor of that. But this idea of "The cops got x % raise and so should we" just can't be allowed to fly when our state & local governments are in such dire financial straits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top