U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM

9,709 posts, read 18,319,209 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind if a cop wanted to he could totally ruin your day & get away with it. For those that live in oakland The avg oakland cop salary is 104k yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,315,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Keep in mind if a cop wanted to he could totally ruin your day & get away with it. For those that live in oakland The avg oakland cop salary is 104k yr.
And you keep in mind that if he wanted to, a gang-banger, druggie, drunk or wife-beater with a 9mm can totally ruin a cop's day.

It happened to one of my partners. His wife and two young children lost him and society lost a good and honest cop who cared.

Bugger off, Chicken....errr....Eagle!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,785,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Yes, the unions are out of control but the next time you need help I suggest you call a hippie!
Real open-carry and proper weapons training could counter that balance.
A cop can't be everywhere due to the fact that there are alot of BS calls being responded to and the real dangers are often bumped to the back of the line because of it.

I've heard stories of 911 dispatchers having to send deputies/officers out to calls involving barking dogs, a porchlight being too bright, cat using the neighbors lawn as a litter-box, kid skidding his fixed-gear/track bicycle down the street., etc

The way I see it, unless these sort of things stop(which they won't), response times will always be iffy.
I say shoot the multi-offending perp first and ask questions later, no one's going to miss the punk, except their clueless, had 'em at age 15, mother.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM

181 posts, read 280,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
True story. Had a friend, a Marine, just got back home after being in combat. I and a few friends went to see him at his folk's house. At night. We were talking in his driveway. Cop cars pull up, three come walking up. "Hey boys, having a party?" We said no, just visiting. We were searched, our stuff searched. I guess there was a party going on, but it was a block away. I asked one officer, what gives you right to search us and our stuff for just talking in this guy's yard. He tells me last week someone tried to pull a knife on him (in Los Osos? anyone ever been here?) and he ain't taking any chances on the street. I had to laugh, the streets of Los Osos? What a joke. My buddy nearly got his head blown off, fighting in some hole halfway around the world and you're complaining about Los Osos. I guarantee that sheriff's deputy wouldn't have had the balls to go through what my buddy went through. I guess my point is, the one I believe who was really responsible for saving LIVES was the guy getting searched and harassed. When you want to talk about who's a hero, let's put it in perspective.

Yeah, and what does an EMT make? squat.
I live in the 5 cities. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. This isn't exactly the "hood" in our community. This is camp Cupcake. And I am telling you, those same Sheriff's are the ONLY guys in the County's bargaining union who year after year refuse to forgoe any raises to save jobs.

My husband served in Iraq in the infantry. He left quietly to be deployed from the central coast and returned all by himself on an 8pm flight into town. No fanfare. Did his job.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:11 PM

122 posts, read 290,639 times
yes, but they get paid to put their life on the line every day. no gracias for me.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,408,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Real open-carry and proper weapons training could counter that balance.
A cop can't be everywhere due to the fact that there are alot of BS calls being responded to and the real dangers are often bumped to the back of the line because of it.

I've heard stories of 911 dispatchers having to send deputies/officers out to calls involving barking dogs, a porchlight being too bright, cat using the neighbors lawn as a litter-box, kid skidding his fixed-gear/track bicycle down the street., etc

The way I see it, unless these sort of things stop(which they won't), response times will always be iffy.
I say shoot the multi-offending perp first and ask questions later, no one's going to miss the punk, except their clueless, had 'em at age 15, mother.
Those time of retard calls take the lowest priority. Those type of things take hours for them to respond too. During the winter, cops do alot of nothing during the week. There isn't much crime or many calls. They deal with alot of child services assistance.

Its amazing how criminals love warm nights!

Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,785,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Those time of retard calls take the lowest priority. Those type of things take hours for them to respond too. During the winter, cops do alot of nothing during the week. There isn't much crime or many calls. They deal with alot of child services assistance.

Its amazing how criminals love warm nights!
This also depends on how many officers/deputies you've got patrolling the given area.
Seeing as you're IE, you've got many cities with their own police departments and a few contracted out SBSO.

Up here in the Victim Valley, it's an influx of thug-types from LA basin areas and every city up here contracted out to SBSO.

Sounds effective at first, but when the deputies are handling calls out in the sticks, then have to rush out to some crime-in-progress, they could get stretched thin at any one time out here.
As far as the cold weather goes, crime still tends to happen on a regular basis.
Maybe the perps are on painkillers and are oblivious to the freezing, desert temps.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,021,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
yes, but they get paid to put their life on the line every day. no gracias for me.
OMG!! I want to pull my hair out everytime I read that statement.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,408,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
This also depends on how many officers/deputies you've got patrolling the given area.
Seeing as you're IE, you've got many cities with their own police departments and a few contracted out SBSO.

Up here in the Victim Valley, it's an influx of thug-types from LA basin areas and every city up here contracted out to SBSO.

Sounds effective at first, but when the deputies are handling calls out in the sticks, then have to rush out to some crime-in-progress, they could get stretched thin at any one time out here.
As far as the cold weather goes, crime still tends to happen on a regular basis.
Maybe the perps are on painkillers and are oblivious to the freezing, desert temps.
Victim Valley? Apple Valley? I'm not too sure what city you are referring too, sorry. I know the areas just east of the IE, I don't consider Apple Valley apart of the IE but thats just me. I know Hemet has major crime issues lately as well and that is east of the IE in my mind.

Sounds like the areas which use to have lower population are getting alot more population they aren't use to yet. Just like Rancho Cucamonga did about 10-15 years ago but they were able to adjust in a good manner.

Same thing can be said about areas just west of the IE. Azusa and especially Monrovia have had serious gang problems. Monrovia's reputation has fallen greatly over the last 3 or so years.

Criminals which use to live in LA head eastward for cheaper rent and "a new life" still doing what they do best, commiting crimes and getting caught.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM

4,101 posts, read 6,106,786 times
All you folks that live in California are the one who vote into office the decision makes. Look what you got when you voted Nancy Pelosi into office. If I lived in California and was of voting age I would try to do something about her first, then worry about the rest of the liberals who are throwing your money away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California