U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,791,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Victim Valley? Apple Valley? I'm not too sure what city you are referring too, sorry. I know the areas just east of the IE, I don't consider Apple Valley apart of the IE but thats just me. I know Hemet has major crime issues lately as well and that is east of the IE in my mind.

Sounds like the areas which use to have lower population are getting alot more population they aren't use to yet. Just like Rancho Cucamonga did about 10-15 years ago but they were able to adjust in a good manner.

Same thing can be said about areas just west of the IE. Azusa and especially Monrovia have had serious gang problems. Monrovia's reputation has fallen greatly over the last 3 or so years.

Criminals which use to live in LA head eastward for cheaper rent and "a new life" still doing what they do best, commiting crimes and getting caught.
I'm talking about the area to the north of the IE if you take the 15 going towards Vegas.
Lived here since I was four and it's been getting bad and good in most areas up here.
Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Adelanto, those names I gave are just what locals refer to it as.

Or, just another way of making transplants from below the Cajon Pass feel like fools for wanting to move to an area where you need money to do things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,319,584 times
Actually the lunch stipend makes perfect sense. How would you like to be in the middle of lunch and have to leave it sitting there half eaten but fully paid for to respond to a call? "Yea yea yea." I'll respond to that 10 car pile up just as soon as I finish my BLT!"

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,632,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
OUCH! I sympathize with you , the community and his family and loved ones.

Ten days after I left law enforcement, one of my partners on the multi-agency narcotics task force I was a part of was killed on duty. His wife (they had two young children) begged him to leave narcotics and return to patrol which she thought was safer. He did! He was shot by a meth user while responding to a domestic violence call.
My uncle. He survived a number of missions over Europe as a tailgunner, survived being shot down, and survived a few years in Stalagluft 17-B in Austria, years that included torture... only to be shot in the head by a dirtbag while investigating tire thieves at a remote house in Southwestern San Bernardino County.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My uncle. He survived a number of missions over Europe as a tailgunner, survived being shot down, and survived a few years in Stalagluft 17-B in Austria, years that included torture... only to be shot in the head by a dirtbag while investigating tire thieves at a remote house in Southwestern San Bernardino County.
God bless him, his wife and his children.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,632,720 times
By the way, remember that William Holden movie Stalag 17? Uncle Russel is in it.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
By the way, remember that William Holden movie Stalag 17? Uncle Russel is in it.
Dating myself again but I do remember it!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM

122 posts, read 290,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
OMG!! I want to pull my hair out everytime I read that statement.
and why is that? it is true. i dont want to be going 100 mph tracking down some crazy mofo on the freeway.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 PM

455 posts, read 983,916 times
Wow, that is such a good salary! Wish all the EMTs and Firefighter make that money...oh wait, then they will be making almost as much as a family care doctor.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:05 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,791,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Wow, that is such a good salary! Wish all the EMTs and Firefighter make that money...oh wait, then they will be making almost as much as a family care doctor.
You gotta admit, the amount of money made compared to how much post-HS education they usually have is astounding.

But at the same time, a doctor could more easily give their superiors the "finger" when it comes to overtime than a member of the CHP.
Same amount of money could be made in both paths, but I heard it's mandatory OT no matter how tired you are when a member of the CHP or any other LE agency.

Another reason I'll continue wanting to drive a truck more than stepping into that realm of occupation-land, drive the DOT-allowable max of 10-11hrs, take off 10-11hrs.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,415,095 times
Most cops LOVE the OT. However, they have two different types of vacation time. I don't know the exact term but its basically "locked" and "unlocked". My buddy is a cop and planned a nice trip out of towns weeks before using the "unlocked" time and was about to leave when he got a call to come in due to a hostage holdup. There were already like 25 cops there but they told him he had to come since it was considered an emergency. So, they had to delay the flight and he did a bunch of nothing. The amount of money he earned was spent on the fee to rebook the flight.

He was mad as hell about the entire situation and switched city departments not too much time after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California