U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM

1,634 posts, read 4,295,040 times

Advertisements

And I was curious, I guess I could research it. I've wondered about the racial breakdown of Californians who have been leaving. Californians started leaving in droves about 15-20 yrs. ago? I had always wondered if blacks and whites were moving to opposite areas. I think I read somewhere a lot blacks leaving CA were heading to Texas, but I might be wrong.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
majoun, where are you getting your information? Since when is super liberal Santa Monica anti-black? Total nonsense!
I used to live on the West Side, spent a great deal of time in Santa Monica, and knew people in Santa Monica. The "liberalism" is just a facade. The reality is that Santa Monica is a great deal more racist than anywhere else on the West Side except for the Palisades. One hears things said in SM that would rightfully be considered unacceptable in Culver City, West LA, or Beverly Hills. It's not Texas in 1960 by any means but there is an acceptance of racism that one doesn't find in most of the nearby communities. Most of the West Side has no tolerance for racism, something it can be proud of - not true re: SM.

Read some of the letters in the SM Daily Press some time if you have a strong stomach.

Quote:
Hey bro, your whole post is untrue from the population figures about Sacramento & Oakland as well as your imagined racial conflicts in the Inland Empire and San Francisco. Please do a little google research before posting.
I live in the Bay Area and notice what's up. Like what I said about SM above, racism can exist in a super-liberal area. As for the IE - don't have direct experience but the IE board does talk a great deal about racial conflicts and the Southern Poverty Law Center even did an article about the IE's racial conflicts. I do think those are more gang-oriented than oriented towards the average person, though.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM

111 posts, read 32,807 times
Racism can't prevent you from doing anything anymore like in the past so who cares if some ignorant trash does not like you? Money is the main problem with California, if you don't have it you won't enjoy it as much here. The lack of affordable housing has caused many Blacks to move back south. Along with Blacks cashing out and living much better down south paying cash for a much larger home with the money they made from their overpriced homes here. San Francisco is a good example of this, many of the Blacks that can leave are leaving. Suburban whites are moving back into the city and willing to pay ridiculous amounts for houses even in places like Hunters point and fillmore. Why not sell the house and make 4, 5, 6, 700k.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I think I read somewhere a lot blacks leaving CA were heading to Texas, but I might be wrong.
As are a lot of whites. It's Econ 101, not racism, Reverend Jackson.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM

12,928 posts, read 11,114,246 times
Quote:
majoun, where are you getting your information? Since when is super liberal Santa Monica anti-black? Total nonsense! Your comment yesterday that Los Angeles was much less ethnic than Chicago & other cities proved to be entirely false if you bothered to look at the data I posted. Black Americans fled the South decades ago to settle in California to escape racism.

Hey bro, your whole post is untrue from the population figures about Sacramento & Oakland as well as your imagined racial conflicts in the Inland Empire and San Francisco. Please do a little google research before posting.
I pretty much agree with a few adjustments. San Francisco gives many the impression that it's not friendly toward blacks. SF has other issues and it's friendly toward yuppies, most of which happen to not be black but it's not a race related thing. SF does have a past of this sort of discrimination but not in about 40 years.

IE does have a recent past with blatent bigotry and cross burnings were once seen in parts of Riverside County not too far outside of the cities. Today the IE has changed a lot but people still tend to segregate themselves there quite a bit but without any real tension. Kind of odd to me.

I remember when San Diego was less black friendly as well but this has changed by huge leaps and bounds. There's not much black culture in SD but don't mistake that for being unfriendly toward blacks because that certainly isn't the case today.

Overall, if anything, I think California has become more accepting of blacks. The fact that blacks are leaving is their own choice. Word among blacks has spread that the south is the new land of opportunity for blacks so that could explain the new reverse migration rather than racism.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
^^^

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/rc/reports/2004/05demographics_frey/20040524_Frey.pdf

Go to page 3.

For the record... no, I don't think CA is less welcoming of blacks. Black people leaving is not exclusive to CA, it's happening in the Northeast and in the Midwest as well. Housing has become increasingly expensive, and middle class jobs have become scarce, that's the reason why blacks (and middle class people of other races) are leaving these areas. I'm black and pretty much everyone on my father's side of the family has left South Central and moved to areas like Arizona, the Inland Empire, and even Texas. There's only my father and my aunt who still live in the L.A. area and if you were to ask the rest of my relatives why they left, they'll tell you the same thing: it got expensive.
Yep, same thing pretty much happened in my family. My dads family remains in SD for the most part. My moms family was once all over the Berkeley/Oakland area. Today, few remain there and that's becuase it got to expensive. Some remain because they just love the area but now I have relatives in Las Vegas and Phoenix, places that traditionally I never had any relatives.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Yes, if you are here illegally, you get sent back to your country of origin to stand in the line the proper way. 20 million walked right in, and they might get granted amnesty. Yeah, that upsets people. But race an negative comments about race have no place in any debate. This issue isn't about race. How many poor Africans do you think there are who would love to live in America? But nobody's been able to swim the Atlantic yet. Who gave Mexico a monopoly on our immigration policies? Is that fair? NO.
Excellent points. Europe has issues with illegal immigration too. They come from parts of eastern Europe and parts of Africa, north Africa especially.

Race related things are totally different than this.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I know what you're thinking; another race thread.

I'm beginning to think now since many black Californians have moved to the old school South, it led me to believe that the state is becoming less welcoming of blacks. That's what a friend told me.

Honestly and seriously, do you think California (mainly LA) is becoming less welcoming and less friendly of blacks living here?
While this trend is more pronounced in California, the same is happening in other parts of the country as well, where Blacks have decided to migrate to the Old South.

Its really quite sad to see this trend in California IMO, but what can we do. Just as in all other groups who see the need to leave for whatever reasons, be it work, cost of living, a sense of kinship or 'strength in numbers', they are free to go.

But I wish less blacks left.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,481,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I used to live on the West Side, spent a great deal of time in Santa Monica, and knew people in Santa Monica. The "liberalism" is just a facade. The reality is that Santa Monica is a great deal more racist than anywhere else on the West Side except for the Palisades. One hears things said in SM that would rightfully be considered unacceptable in Culver City, West LA, or Beverly Hills. It's not Texas in 1960 by any means but there is an acceptance of racism that one doesn't find in most of the nearby communities. Most of the West Side has no tolerance for racism, something it can be proud of - not true re: SM.

Read some of the letters in the SM Daily Press some time if you have a strong stomach.

I live in the Bay Area and notice what's up. Like what I said about SM above, racism can exist in a super-liberal area. As for the IE - don't have direct experience but the IE board does talk a great deal about racial conflicts and the Southern Poverty Law Center even did an article about the IE's racial conflicts. I do think those are more gang-oriented than oriented towards the average person, though.
I've been surprised by several of your comments lately & was under the impression that you posted things more in line with factual evidence rather than mere personal experience. You seem to encounter things quite the contrary to the reality for most people. But when you post definitively things that are so blatantly untrue you appear anecdotal & lose credibility.

Again, you never even acknowledged how so far out of reality your comment was on the "lack" of racial\ ethnic diversity in Los Angeles that it makes me wonder if you do much study\ cite credible information before you post. It really helps give the impression that you know what you are writing about.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
I've been surprised by several of your comments lately & was under the impression that you posted things more in line with factual evidence rather than mere personal experience. You seem to encounter things quite the contrary to the reality for most people. But when you post definitively things that are so blatantly untrue you appear anecdotal & lose credibility.

Again, you never even acknowledged how so far out of reality your comment was on the "lack" of racial\ ethnic diversity in Los Angeles that it makes me wonder if you do much study\ cite credible information before you post. It really helps give the impression that you know what you are writing about.
I never said Los Angeles was not diverse ; it would be on any list of the 5 most diverse cities in the world. I merely said it was not the most diverse. Ever been to NYC or London?

There are inherent risks with posting about places 500 miles away even if I spent the overwhelming majority of my life there and still visit as often as I can afford to in order to see friends and family.

As for the SM comments: just because those people voted for Obama doesn't mean they don't have prejudices.

I will take more care to avoid anecdotal posts in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California