U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 AM

190 posts, read 421,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Well, considering MJ being legal and the high chance of secondhand high from all nearby smokers, the number of non-smokers who wouldn't be high enough to get upset would be fairly small!
I'm not talking about second hand smoke I'm talking about having to deal with peter pot smoker all day at work! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,561,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
I'm not talking about second hand smoke I'm talking about having to deal with peter pot smoker all day at work! LOL
You mean not counting all the folks on "anti-depressants", "pain meds", or over over-amped on nicotine, sugar, & caffeine? Just personally, I figure half the cases of "road rage" and "tailgating" are the ones drinking all that "wired" stuff, like all the "Monster" drinks, or those triple-shot mocha lattes! And don't even get me started re: the ones that are "addicted" to always playing with their cellphone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppininja View Post
"I like Pollan's Johnny Appleseed much better than the Disney version." Dito
There is no doubt that Alcohol is #1 when it comes to the inebriation of the US. Hell, I'm drinking Glenfiddich 18 right now lol..

Anyways.. this is an easy one people; the impact will be a good one if only to see the violent criminals stay behind bars instead of being freed to make room for possession cases.
"Northern Lights #5".....

Last edited by mateo45; 04-17-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 AM

317 posts, read 616,600 times
I envision bed & Breakfast style plantations not unlike what we see in Napa/Sonoma where people from all over the world can come and enjoy organic foods, listen to music, practice yoga, hike... and of course consume fine California grown MJ.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 PM

190 posts, read 421,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You mean not counting all the folks on "anti-depressants", "pain meds", or over over-amped on nicotine, sugar, & caffeine? Just personally, I figure half the cases of "road rage" and "tailgating" are the ones drinking all that "wired" stuff, like all the "Monster" drinks, or those triple-shot mocha lattes! And don't even get me started re: the ones that are "addicted" to always playing with their cellphone!

"Northern Lights #5".....
anti-depressants make people easier to deal with especially people that actually need them

pain meds - yeah you got me on that one but just like weed it's only legal with a prescription.

energy drinks and coffee - I'll drink a red bull and you take a couple hits of green bud and well see who performs better at work. providing the job is not eating chips and playing video games I think we both know the answer to this one. LOL

I got nothing against smoking pot as I have smoked my fair share in my younger days but there needs to be better ways of test if someone is under the influence before it can be legalized. those swab tests are a joke.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 AM

220 posts, read 966,554 times
I would feel safer driving down a highway of stoners than drunks. Dude, why is everyone here talking about legalizing Michael Jackson?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:29 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,940,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
How about tobacco users or fast food junkies or alcohol users or high risk sports participants? In any case cannabis use has never been correlated with increased health problems. Just the opposite.

Phoenix Tears - Promoting Hemp Oil as a natural healing agent...
Non smokers and people of a normal weight get cheaper life cover!!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
anti-depressants make people easier to deal with especially people that actually need them

pain meds - yeah you got me on that one but just like weed it's only legal with a prescription.

energy drinks and coffee - I'll drink a red bull and you take a couple hits of green bud and well see who performs better at work. providing the job is not eating chips and playing video games I think we both know the answer to this one. LOL

I got nothing against smoking pot as I have smoked my fair share in my younger days but there needs to be better ways of test if someone is under the influence before it can be legalized. those swab tests are a joke.
Dunno that some "over-stimulated" rager riding your tail is any more desirable than the addicted pothead who can't perform their job (or life). But alot of what you're describing is just the "personal preference" and familiarity of some kinds of intoxicants over others. There's little reason to think marijuana won't eventually just become part of the "family", with each "drug" having it's own "fan base".

Although the cultural biases are kinda interesting. Perhaps there's some correlation between preferences for various intoxicants and folks' religious, political and cultural "persuasions". I wonder, do Conservatives & Fundamentlists mostly prefer alcohol, "stimulants" and "pharmaceuticals" (ala Limbaugh), while maybe the marijuana users are generally liberals, or agnostics and other "non-christians"...?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,419,862 times
Alcohol and prescriptions drugs are socially acceptable and seemingly not a threat to conventional structures ... just the opposite generally speaking.
Substances that numb and/or stimulate are a perfect "fit" for and serve well the dominant culture in its various manifestations.
They don't alter consciousness in such a way as to be a potential challenge to consensus "reality".
And that is, as it see it, the essential reason for the resistance by many to both marijuana and other consciousness altering / expanding substances.
It's about fear and therefore about control ... of self and others.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-18-2010 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Alcohol and prescriptions drugs are socially acceptable and seemingly not a threat to conventional structures ... just the opposite generally speaking.
Substances that numb and/or stimulate are a perfect "fit" for and serve well the dominant culture in its various manifestations.
They don't alter consciousness in such a way as to be a potential challenge to consensus "reality".
And that is, as it see it, the essential reason for the resistance by many to both marijuana and other consciousness altering / expanding substances.
It's about fear and therefore about control ... of self and others.
That's a good point. More so than other intoxicants, marijuana users do seem more likely to "question" alot of things.... authority, social conventions, lifestyle, self-awareness, expectations, "spirituality", etc., and it's not difficult to see how those tendencies might be more threatening to some.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,394,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
What will be the impact of MJ legalization?

The people will be doped up and even less inclined to notice the screwing they are getting by those in Sacramento. So the politicians will benefit while it's more of the same steady, slow decline for the poor idiots whose only goal in life is a six pack and a place to watch their favorite sports program.
There is truth in this sentiment but perhaps we will all not become lazy slobs. Maybe just mellower. That can't hurt...can it? As far as the screwing we are getting by the government, maybe it'll feel a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California