U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 PM

350 posts, read 1,012,699 times

Advertisements

I live in Fresno/Madera area, and have lived in CA my whole life (I'm old). If I were going to relocate to California I'd look around San Luis Obispo area, maybe Atascadero, Paso Robles, or further north like Sacramento area. The coast is going to be pricey, but a little inland might be less. If you're looking in the central San Joaquin Valley, we have hot summers (but no humidity). There are small towns like Kingsburg, Clovis, Visalia, Hanford that are small, but close enough to Fresno. I'd choose those to raise a family. We're actually wanting to get out of CA and head to Texas, but that's for political reasons. Its getting crazy here, but good luck to you. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,368,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
That's great you met your wife in Fresno!

I always find it funny when people are quick to put down the Central Valley. I have an older sister who is married with a 2-year old and has a second baby on the way. Living in the Pleasanton-Dublin area, they are now just realizing the additional costly expenses being added to their high cost of living. Both parents have to maintain full-time jobs and they are pretty much stuck doing the same routine everyday to continue living in the east bay area. After living in a brand new townhouse for 5 years, they now desire a single detached house with a full yard in the same area, but home prices in the area are prohibitive for them. The only option for them is to relocate elsewhere cheaper, but they simply can't do it.

It's my observation that those who sacrifice living on the coast reap rewards in other ways -- like having more free time to raise a family.
Thanks, my wife's career moved her from the coast to a few other places first like Bakersfield and Sac before Fresno. When we met here we discovered we had made a lot of similiar life choices over the years. It might have been other places for me, or other timing, but we thought alike about life and what we wanted from it.

I understand about your sister. I know several young families in the Bay Area feeling the same way. The small condos and apts were fine for 1 or 2 people but the dreams changed when kids entered their lives. Ultimately they all have to chose what is right for them.

On my street here there are 3 families with stay at home moms, 2 with part-time job moms, and some with both parents working. They all have made different choices about what they feel they need to do for the families. The families with stay at home moms have decided that time is more valuable then the things they could buy with the second income.

Most of us do not get to have everything from our dreams. So we decide what is most highly valued and trade-off in other ways.

Like I said, I did the single coast life. Nice, but when I started looking at other things I wanted I realized I was willing to give up the coast to pursue other goals (career, savings, etc) which meant more to me.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:36 AM

7 posts, read 8,971 times
There's another area of California that may work out for a bartender / medical worker and that is Butte County. Chico is a college town and there may be jobs there and you could commute from Oroville, a smaller town within driving distance of Chico with home prices that are VERY modest compared to the rest of the state. You can live in the foothills nearby (within 7 miles) which is cooler, pretty and be close to lots of recreation.... lakes for boating, fishing, hunting, hiking, biking and horse riding and still be 3 hours from the ocean. You won't have the Texas humidity, tornados, big storms. There are forest fires but you can defend yourself against them better than a tornado.

Interestingly, I live in Nevada County, which is God's country, and we are thinking of moving to the Sulphur Springs, TX, area so we can trade our 5 acre horse property for a 50 acre place. My husband lived in that area of TX and loves it. We get by fine here in Calif with a modest income. Not everyone makes the big bucks. We have a wonderful community of small town flavor but all the "big stuff" is within easy drive.... shopping, major airport, mountains and the ocean is 3 hours away. But guess what. We rarely go to the ocean anymore. So much else to do. We also don't have the volume of bugs and snakes that we've experienced in Texas. I think you'll love it here, but you just have to realize that California has the features of SEVERAL states and you need to take the time to find out the different regions, the different weather, and economies. Just like Texas has its deserts, hill country and piney woods.

Good luck in what you decide. I'm all for an adventure and believing in yourself but you need to be smart. Some RN's I know have been looking for work for over a year. It just isn't the way it used to be jobwise. Those who want to work still have the best chance but the competition is stiffer.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM

152 posts, read 288,597 times
The northern areas(north of Ventura) do not have the warm water beaches that the op is probably dreaming of. Reno would be a low cost alternative, close to Tahoe, and not a that far drive from the coast. No state income tax like texas, and lower rents/home prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California