U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2010, 12:38 AM

451 posts, read 688,404 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

A few months ago, I moved from LA (WeHo) while knowing upfront it could only be temporary!!! So, while I can still last another year (or two) where I am now, the ultimate hope is to eventually move back!

I liked LA, but it was too expensive, of course. And I REALLY wanted a house but could never afford one there. Now I am looking into all the smaller towns, hoping to find some with cheaper house prices (<$300K), yet as close to the big cities (LA, for one) and the coast as possible.

I've always lived very simple and frugally, I have no interest in "night life" and such, or even the beach, for that matter (being able to go a few times a year on weekend would suffice). So, the house could be pretty old and small (1-bedroom is fine), BUT I do need a yard!! The bigger, the better (garden freak). So, my main motivation for being close to the coast is just climate which I love in CA!

If within an hour drive from bigger town, we could still go to work and school there (some towns have bad schools with no choice). If within a few hours from BIG city - easier to use airport (international travel once a year), and come for unusual shopping sometimes (like Russian stores) or classes.

Southern CA is best, but so far I am open to North as well. Suburbs of LA, Sa Diego, SF, Sacramento... just about anywhere where I can afford a tiny house, as close to the coast and city as possible. Knowing about Russian population might help

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 12:43 AM

15 posts, read 36,389 times
Do you have kids? Do you care about schools?

The weather and climate are great in Imperial Beach and in Oceanside. Oceanside is a military town, the schools aren't great, but its fairly cheap for a coastal community in California. The other place to look at is Imperial Beach - its kind of biker town. You have a fair number of illegal aliens swimming on shore at night but again very cheap and close to the coast.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iajo View Post
Do you have kids? Do you care about schools?

The weather and climate are great in Imperial Beach and in Oceanside. Oceanside is a military town, the schools aren't great, but its fairly cheap for a coastal community in California. The other place to look at is Imperial Beach - its kind of biker town. You have a fair number of illegal aliens swimming on shore at night but again very cheap and close to the coast.
Yes, I have one kid, and will be checking every place for good middle schools, as well. (as much as I can juggle all this into a single selection)

Thanks!

Last edited by HappyNewMe; 04-18-2010 at 01:20 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 AM

3,697 posts, read 6,981,859 times
As I mentioned in the other thread there's no free lunch in CA thats for sure. But some places along the coast do offer a bit more value depending on where one can find work, etc... Take a look at this chart for a good breakdown of prices by city and county.

Now that you have shared more about what you are looking for and some reqiurements I would say take at some of the smaller homes in these cities on RE sites such as redfin:

Central Cal: Seaside, Marina, Atascadero, Paso Robles, Grover Beach, Los Osos
SoCal: Lomita, North Long Beach, Lake Forest, San Juan Capistrano, Rancho Santa Margarita

The thing is you are are looking for a starter home, shoebox style with a decent yard. So you may be able to find that in some of the coastal areas now that the CA market has softened overall. Then fix it up/remodel it over time.

Derek

Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
... Take a look at this chart for a good breakdown of prices by city and county.
...The thing is you are are looking for a starter home, shoebox style with a decent yard. So you may be able to find that in some of the coastal areas now that the CA market has softened overall. Then fix it up/remodel it over time.
Derek
Thanks!!! Will have a long look at this one.
yes, starter home is what I need

Old 04-18-2010, 06:18 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,197,591 times
Oxnard has great weather, housing in that price target, jobs in a commutable distance, and some OK schools (and a lot of not OK schools). Often in SFR neighborhoods, housing prices are inversely proportional to school quality. Still, if a challenged district has open enrollment (can attend any school in district rather than closest zoned neighborhood school), a person might be able to have his kid attend a higher performing school. One downfall of this besides the logistics, is the kid will have school friends that aren't neighborhood friends - but private school (and that's another option) kids have a similar predicament.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oxnard has great weather, housing in that price target, jobs in a commutable distance, and some OK schools (and a lot of not OK schools). Often in SFR neighborhoods, housing prices are inversely proportional to school quality. Still, if a challenged district has open enrollment (can attend any school in district rather than closest zoned neighborhood school), a person might be able to have his kid attend a higher performing school. One downfall of this besides the logistics, is the kid will have school friends that aren't neighborhood friends - but private school (and that's another option) kids have a similar predicament.
Yeah, I was now leaning more toward Oxnard/Port Hueneme vs places further out... that is, if in a couple of years there are still any houses available in the "cheap" range. Good old beat-up 'starter" homes

Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,253,860 times
weather, beach, affordable is Lompoc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California