U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 PM

56 posts, read 117,568 times

Advertisements

HERES THE LINK FOR A LIST OF PHONE NUMBERS KEEP THEM CIRCULATING

Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives Member Telephone Directory

Pelosi, Nancy CA8th225-4965

Senators of the 111th Congress

U.S. Senate: Senators Home

US Capital phone number [SIZE=2]202-224-3121[/SIZE]

The White House Phone Numbers
VOICE:202-456-1414

http://www.change.org/petitions/view/the_99ers_need_a_tier_v_added_to_unemployment_bene fits

Video on Youtube: Tier V to Survive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDDTxRrtK4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM

19,126 posts, read 26,546,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Seem like SLO has always had a fair share of cottage industries. Those based on either tourism, local food products, some tech, and some creative. I was surprised a few weeks ago I ordered to very high end sinks, and learned they are made in San Luis Obispo. A real niche company that sells nationwide.
Native Trails? They make some pretty fancy stuff and they're in my backyard

We also have Tennis-Warehouse, Ernie-Ball Music Man and Zoo Med which are extremely well respected in their field and they're based in SLO as well.

It's really interesting how many fairly large and well respected businesses are based in our little community.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,363,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

We also have Tennis-Warehouse, Ernie-Ball Music Man
Didn't most of the Ernie Ball operation move to Coachella Valley a few years ago? I think I remember something about cost of living on the Central Coast making it tough for them to keep the manufacturing part of the company there. Some jobs stayed but I thought the plant left.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM

19,126 posts, read 26,546,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Didn't most of the Ernie Ball operation move to Coachella Valley a few years ago? I think I remember something about cost of living on the Central Coast making it tough for them to keep the manufacturing part of the company there. Some jobs stayed but I thought the plant left.
Kind of. I believe MusicMan guitars and basses (the super high end stuff) are still made here in SLO, but Ernie Ball (they own MM) has moved over to Coachella. They still hire people here in SLO and I see ads in the New Times and whatnot for sanders, manufactuers and salespeople for the SLO office, so I'm assuming they're still around. I don't play Ernie Ball, MM or Slinkys so I'm not super familiar with them.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,363,172 times
Thanks, I just know a little from my days living over there and also using their strings on my old guitar. So when I saw the article a few years ago it stuck in my brain.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,308,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

We also have Tennis-Warehouse, Ernie-Ball Music Man and Zoo Med which are extremely well respected in their field and they're based in SLO as well.

It's really interesting how many fairly large and well respected businesses are based in our little community.
When I lived in SLO there was a high end hot tub builder. I think it was out on 227.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,315,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
But even they are taking pay cuts. Right?
Most state workers have been on 3-day a month unpaid furloughs since last year which lowered their pay by almost 15%. The Governor wants to require them to pay more towards benefits and take a permanent pay cut when the furlough days end (maybe) in July. A lot of cities and counties have enacted similar cost cutting provisions and lay-offs at all government agencies are a possibility if normal attrition/retirements doesn't thin the ranks to a sustainable level.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM

181 posts, read 280,959 times
I work for a County agency. At this point, we aren't doing furloughs. We are doing Voluntary Time Off. My particular division has not seen a pay increase in 2.5 years. On top of that, health insurance costs, cost of living increases just keep on going. I pay about $800 a month in health insurance premiums, up from abour $630 ish a few years ago. That, in addition to my husband being unemployed here in SLO county, has been making it EXTREMELY difficult. The only saving grace for us is that in these few years, my son went from daycare to school, cutting some of our costs.

Don't get me wrong. I feel VERY fortunate to have a job. It is just really hard to make ends meet.

As for layoffs, we aren't at that point yet. We are simply not filling vacant positions, which means even MORE work for those of us left.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,315,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgoldilocks View Post
I work for a County agency. At this point, we aren't doing furloughs. We are doing Voluntary Time Off. My particular division has not seen a pay increase in 2.5 years. On top of that, health insurance costs, cost of living increases just keep on going. I pay about $800 a month in health insurance premiums, up from abour $630 ish a few years ago. That, in addition to my husband being unemployed here in SLO county, has been making it EXTREMELY difficult. The only saving grace for us is that in these few years, my son went from daycare to school, cutting some of our costs.

Don't get me wrong. I feel VERY fortunate to have a job. It is just really hard to make ends meet.

As for layoffs, we aren't at that point yet. We are simply not filling vacant positions, which means even MORE work for those of us left.
Do more with less seems to be government's mantra!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California