U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,190,867 times
Default Smaller Southern California Towns?

My fiancee and myself are planning our move out to California. We are starting to research towns so we can make some trips out there this summer before moving this winter.

We are looking for a smaller town or suburb, somewhere in socal. We have been doing some research online but haven't been able to find much.

A friend of mine recommended San Luis Obispos, but I have read a lot of mixed things about this town, such as the high crime and immigration levels.

I would love to live in Santa Barbara, but unfortunately it's out of our price range.

Any reccomendations?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 03:52 PM

3,471 posts, read 8,727,939 times
San Luis Obispo is a nice town - go for it! Close to the beach (Pismo Beach and Morro Bay). It doesn't have high crime that I know of. Hope you have jobs waiting for you when you get here.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 PM

3,651 posts, read 6,659,665 times
San Luis Obispo (SLO) is a great small college town. I don't know where you are hearing that about it being a high crime area but thats not true.

There are really so many options you'll need to take a trip out to CA and visit for yourself. SLO County is actually in a part of California which is my favorite know as the Central Cal Coast. There are many rolling hills, ranches, vineyards, smaller towns, etc... Its quite nice.

SoCal has a lot of options. Though you will have more ppl, traffic, etc... It really depends what else you are looking for like proximity to certain job markets, cost of housing, etc...

Derek

Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,724,834 times
I think for most people, Southern California means the area from Santa Barbara down to the Mexican border. There are lots of nice towns to choose from all along the way. How crowded do you want it to be? It's going to be relatively expensive, especially compared to Phoenix.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
San Luis Obispo (SLO) is a great small college town. I don't know where you are hearing that about it being a high crime area but thats not true.

There are really so many options you'll need to take a trip out to CA and visit for yourself. SLO County is actually in a part of California which is my favorite know as the Central Cal Coast. There are many rolling hills, ranches, vineyards, smaller towns, etc... Its quite nice.

SoCal has a lot of options. Though you will have more ppl, traffic, etc... It really depends what else you are looking for like proximity to certain job markets, cost of housing, etc...

Derek
Sounds like what we are looking for, there doesn't seem to be many job oppurtunities currently, I just checked on my company website at the job postings, only 6 jobs in SLO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I think for most people, Southern California means the area from Santa Barbara down to the Mexican border. There are lots of nice towns to choose from all along the way. How crowded do you want it to be? It's going to be relatively expensive, especially compared to Phoenix.
I guess I should have rephreased my title, I didn't realize SLO was central coast.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM

3,651 posts, read 6,659,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Sounds like what we are looking for, there doesn't seem to be many job oppurtunities currently, I just checked on my company website at the job postings, only 6 jobs in SLO!

I guess I should have rephreased my title, I didn't realize SLO was central coast.
The thing you have to realize is that part of the Central Coast's charm is that there are still small towns. But these same towns have fewer jobs. So you don't get the hordes of ppl climbing over each other like you do in LA, SF, SD, and SAC. If you want a smaller town in a beautiful area you will have to find a unique opportunity there. I am not saying jobs don't exist. But there are definately fewer of them. And once a person lands a job in an nice area like that they don't tend to leave.

Depending on the size of your company and jobs available I would broaden your net to include small towns from Santa Rosa down to Lompoc. Just look at a google map view of the Central Coast to see all the towns there. Keep in mind while it will take longer to find a position in this area it will be worth the planning and wait if you can find something.

Otherwise maybe look in Ventura County or places in south Orange County like Rancho Santa Margarita or Mission Viejo. But those places aren't really what I consider small towns. With many jobs comes many people anytime California is concerned.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-19-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The thing you have to realize is that part of the Central Coast's charm is that there are still small towns which are like what you are looking for. But they have fewer jobs. So you don't get the hordes of ppl climbing over each other like you do in LA, SF, SD, and SAC. If you want a smaller town in a beautiful area you will have to find a unique opportunity there. I am not saying jobs don't exist. But there are definately fewer of them. And once a person lands a job in an nice area like that they don't tend to leave.

Depending on the size of your company and jobs available I would broaden your net to include small towns from Santa Rosa down to Lompoc. Just look at a google map view of the Central Coast to see all the towns there. Keep in mind while it may take longer to find a position in this area it will be worth the planning and wait if you can find something.

Otherwise maybe look in Ventura or places in south Orange County. But those places aren't really what I consider small towns. With many jobs comes many people anytime California is concerned.

Derek
I will be working in a hotel, there are hotels almost anywhere, but not always jobs.

I think I am going to worry about finding a job first, then figure out where to move.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM

6,140 posts, read 11,312,301 times
Quote:
I will be working in a hotel, there are hotels almost anywhere, but not always jobs.

I think I am going to worry about finding a job first, then figure out where to move.
good idea.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM

3,471 posts, read 8,727,939 times
Quote:
Here's one of the landmark hotels near San Luis Obispo:
Madonna Inn - Landmark resort hotel on California's Central Coast

Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM

From what I have seen online, SLO doesn't seem to have many larger hotels, which is what I am looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California