Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I don't know SoCal well but even in Santa Cruz county, which is extremely expensive, it's quite possible (albeit a challenge) to find ones own place for $1000.00 a month and sometimes for less.
I was recently in a studio on a few acres with gardens and a hot-tub that i could use and it was under $800.00 ... and all utilities were included.
Granted, the landlords easily could have charged more but there are opportunities.
but remember she needs to be near all shopping and will not have a car plus it sounds like she would like to be right on the beach. She is going to have a heck of a time getting all she wants and still wants a safe, nice neighborhood.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,451 times
I love Santa Cruz. You might want to check out San Luis Obispo area, Pismo, etc. too. Its a crazy world out there so you're going to have to be careful anywhere you go.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but remember she needs to be near all shopping and will not have a car plus it sounds like she would like to be right on the beach. She is going to have a heck of a time getting all she wants and still wants a safe, nice neighborhood.

Nita
No so Nita ... there are many places in the county where she can easily bus and/or bike to all of the places she needs and wants to go.
If she can find an affordable place to live all of her criteria can be met.
And there are also many opportunities for housemate situations ... it's a college town ... U.C.S.C. and Cabrillo Community College in Aptos.
If she's situated in Santa Cruz, Capitola, much of Aptos and much of Soquel she'll be fine.
She didn't say that she needed to be right on the beach.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
My concern would be that if there was such a place everyone would already be there and then what would you do for a job? Without a car you would have to find something close enought to walk/bike/bus. I'm assuming HS graduate with no college degree so....minimum wage work? That might not even be enough to pay rent.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 24,315 times
well i have money saved up and i don't need to be right on this beach, it doesn't have to be a perfect neighborhood. I'm used to going down to Baltimore my whole life and there are some nice parts of Baltimore like the inner harbor. I don't need to live in the safest place in the world i just don't want to live in the slums where there are 2 or three murders a day like west baltimore. I like the whole idea of easy going santa cruz no pressure to be rich and beautiful. i want a more laid back life style. I'm not looking for a life like the stars of laguna beach. thats just not me. being close to the beach would be nice just so i could go there and relax some days. I also don't want to live somewhere where there is a lot of drugs. I just want somewhere that is in the city, some night life where i could go see a band sometime a few cool shops that i could just walk around in, i never mentioned buying anything. and easy access for bikers or a good metro/bus system. I'm only looking to stay for a few months just to have this experience under my belt. I'm planning to work at a day care or something of that sort since i already work at one now hopefully i could find another job of the sort easier. i don't have to live right next to all of these things there just has to be easy access to all or most of these things

Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj123 View Post
well i have money saved up and i don't need to be right on this beach, it doesn't have to be a perfect neighborhood. I'm used to going down to Baltimore my whole life and there are some nice parts of Baltimore like the inner harbor. I don't need to live in the safest place in the world i just don't want to live in the slums where there are 2 or three murders a day like west baltimore. I like the whole idea of easy going santa cruz no pressure to be rich and beautiful. i want a more laid back life style. I'm not looking for a life like the stars of laguna beach. thats just not me. being close to the beach would be nice just so i could go there and relax some days. I also don't want to live somewhere where there is a lot of drugs. I just want somewhere that is in the city, some night life where i could go see a band sometime a few cool shops that i could just walk around in, i never mentioned buying anything. and easy access for bikers or a good metro/bus system. I'm only looking to stay for a few months just to have this experience under my belt. I'm planning to work at a day care or something of that sort since i already work at one now hopefully i could find another job of the sort easier. i don't have to live right next to all of these things there just has to be easy access to all or most of these things
Santa Cruz may just suit you.
There is a relaxed attitude toward marijuana but that goes for many places in the state.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Yeah, I'd say Santa Cruz or maybe Encinitas, SD or Hermosa/Manhattan/Redondo Beach in LA County. Forget Venice. There is more crime, etc.. there.

You aren't going to get bohemian beach towns and no drug usage. They will be there. But that doesn't mean you will be forced to partake.

Derek

Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Try Ventura. You can rent a 1 bedroom right now at a newly remodeled building on Main Street not too far from downtown I saw a sign on the building, rents starting at $825 a month. You would be about 2 miles inland from the beach, but you would still have an ocean view from that part of town as the geography of Ventura is your either on the beach or your slowly heading toward a hillside. Not sure if the apartment would have an ocean view, but if your thing is to spend time on the beach you could take the bus, walk, ride a bike, or what ever and be at the beach in a short time. Also plenty of rentals within your range in other parts of the city.

The downtown area comes alive during the weekend with several hot spots to spend the evening. Most places are 21 and over though. Main Street down town is a lively and vibrant area that is fun to hang out and hit the shops or just people watch. If concerts are your thing the Ventura Theater on Chestnut Street not too far off of main street hosts many big time acts.

This is no LA or San Diego, but if you are looking for a beach town to visit and spend some time in, this is one of the top Beach Cities in the world. We were listed a few years ago in Outdoor Magazine as the #2 beach city in the World. It sits between Malibu and Santa Barbara. The city has over 100,000 people so it isn't small compared to most parts of the world. You can rent kayaks, Surf Boards, Bikes, and other things on the beach. At the harbor you can rent small power boats or peddle boats.

If you wanted you could also take a bus up to Santa Barbara and spend the day hanging out.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:29 AM

425 posts, read 1,955,233 times
I would seriously consider living in a roommate situation. It will help with finances, especially if you can't find a job right away. If you haven't visited California, I would highly, highly recommend you do so before you actually move. I was about your age when I made a blind move to another state that was far from where I grew up (though not as far as you're going) and it was terrible. If I had taken the time to visit before I actually went, I would have saved myself a lot of time and money. You may get here and realise that it was all just a dream and not what you really want.

Not trying to be down on you or discouraging, I just want you to think about this and make sure it's what you really want before you spend your money coming out here only to discover you don't really like it.

Either way, good luck.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,983 times
Portland Oregon is the bomb! 'REAL' people , fresh air, every neighborhood has its own farmers market, organic foods, vegan restaurants, wines and a plethora of micro brew pubs...Not to mention music. Outside of Austin it has a ton venues everywhere. Oh and about the people; A young, talented, educated population that is not pretencious and who cares about thier environment. (Checkout Portlandia on the IFC network or On Demand) It's funny & overexaggerated but preatty close to the eclectic people As for weather yes its colder than California but its very manageable. Summers are like HEAVEN. Low crime and cheaper than Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California