U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 AM

55 posts, read 136,291 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I would like to hear from some of you who have lived in Cali for a long time and know the L.A. area and other areas surrounding L.A. as well. Here's the deal.
I'm actually from Texas and have lived in Hollywood, the Southbay and currently Long Beach for 10 years. Moved here to be with my sister, but she has moved back to Canada. Have had ok luck with jobs but seem to be struggling still after I was laid off from my other job. I find it difficult to meet friends and maintain them-but have not been completely content with my living situation. I really like Long Beach but I am going to have to leave this area.

I like San Diego.

Looking for an area that is more suburban, family oriented, good for singles, away from L.A. but maybe not too far. I'm thinking about 1 hour and half away--no more. I don't want to feel like I live in a city. Looking for lots of nature, hiking trails, etc. The total opposite of Hollywood blvd with less people, less congestion, less traffic and a lower rent.

Mainly:

1. Don't want to pay anymore than 800 for a 1 bedroom apartment.
2. Would like to step outside and walk my dog (when I get a dog) and feel safe and possibly know my neighbors.
3. Location can be North of L.A. or South.
4. Have a BBA so anything in Business would suit me once I change jobs.
5. Somewhere like Long Beach, Newport Beach, etc.
6. A slower pace with more down to earth people.
7. Great for singles.
8. ..more jobs..
9. Close to malls, shopping, parks,etc.

I would appreciate any input you guys have. This next move is crucial and I want it to be the right one.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,754,507 times
I think one bedroom at $800/month and the aggregate of ("lots of jobs" and "Close to malls, shopping, parks" and "feel safe" and "[anything] Beach") are mutually exclusive.

Think twice of getting a dog - very restricting when looking for housing.

It's easier for the forum to make recommendations for housing once you have a job [location] than it is for the forum to suggest a housing location without a job location.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,479,804 times
You're going to have to get in on a multiple bedroom place with roommates if $800 is your max.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,651,207 times
For $800 a month, you're going to have to move to Lancaster, Victorville, Temecula or Hemet.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,287,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
For $800 a month, you're going to have to move to Lancaster, Victorville, Temecula or Hemet.
I think that falls under the category of "cruelty to animals".
Maybe not Temecula, which is passable, but hotter than hell in the summer.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,651,207 times
Yeah $800 a month for a single bedroom apartment and "like Newport Beach" makes me think this thread isn't serious.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM

30,493 posts, read 33,295,986 times
Dogs in apartments. I don't get that.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,642,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I think that falls under the category of "cruelty to animals".
Maybe not Temecula, which is passable, but hotter than hell in the summer.
You get used to it.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Default Charles.. Ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think one bedroom at $800/month and the aggregate of ("lots of jobs" and "Close to malls, shopping, parks" and "feel safe" and "[anything] Beach") are mutually exclusive.

Think twice of getting a dog - very restricting when looking for housing.

It's easier for the forum to make recommendations for housing once you have a job [location] than it is for the forum to suggest a housing location without a job location.
Hey Charles, that clears that up. Yes, getting the job part is first thing. I'm researching other areas to my preference. Your input helps a lot. Everyone is pretty much saying the same thing. Thank you for replying back. Very cool.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Hey skyway31...That's not what I wanted to hear... : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
You're going to have to get in on a multiple bedroom place with roommates if $800 is your max.
But, that seems to be the reality around here. I'm from Texas, a place where you get a big bang for your southern buck. Might have to take my southern Bhind back to the Southern Draw ing Board. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California