U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids
284 posts, read 923,919 times
Reputation: 224

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
No, I am not surprised at all. If it wasn't the gay activists it could have been the tea partiers, etc... What President doesn't this happen to? No one leader can people please everyone. No matter how charismatic or popular he/she is there will always be ppl who are unhappy about some pet agenda they feel isn't get enough attention. The extreme left never feels they are getting enough attention, the same as the extreme right. Don't forget all the Obama Care hecklers as well. So what...

Derek
I think politicians will always be pressured to satisfy one group's agenda or another, but the problem here is that these people feel lied to. Obama made campaign promises that he's not living up to. That's why everyone's expectations were so high - they were told the "oceans would begin to slow" and "our planet would be healed". Certainly not the first time a politician made ridiculous promises they didn't (or couldn't) keep. I think everyone feels pretty disenchanted with government these days, but what surprises me most is how we continue to fall for these charismatic figures time and time again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Monterey County, CA
5,480 posts, read 12,308,030 times
Reputation: 5808
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
I think politicians will always be pressured to satisfy one group's agenda or another, but the problem here is that these people feel lied to. Obama made campaign promises that he's not living up to. That's why everyone's expectations were so high - they were told the "oceans would begin to slow" and "our planet would be healed". Certainly not the first time a politician made ridiculous promises they didn't (or couldn't) keep. I think everyone feels pretty disenchanted with government these days, but what surprises me most is how we continue to fall for these charismatic figures time and time again.
I think there is some truth to this. But the problem really is more with human nature and a tendancy to lean toward hero worship - "our planet would be healed." Yeah right, gag me. Some ppl looked to Obama to be their savior - the answer to all their personal problems and issues. But he is only a man, who is both falible and optimistic. I am sure he would have liked to have kept every campaign promise. But what politician can? Does that make him a bad person or a liar? When ppl realize he wasn't this great savior they envisioned him to be but only a mere mortal they are shattered. IMO, it was foolish to expect more of him. He is doing what he can in a failed economy with a divided party fighting him almost every step of the way. And of course the GOP looking to derail him at every turn. Could he have done some things better? Sure. But things also could have turned out a lot worse. And I think he still has much work to do and some surprises along the way. But meeting eveyone's personal agenda and timeline certainly isn't one of them. No matter how much they jump up and down or heckle. And some things may fall by the wayside or evolve. Its just the reality of politics. Offshore drilling is just one example.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-21-2010 at 01:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,203,326 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think there is some truth to this. But the problem really is more with human nature and a tendancy to lean toward hero worship - "our planet would be healed." Yeah right, gag me. Some ppl looked to Obama to be their savior - the answer to all their personal problems and issues. But he is only a man, who is both falible and optimistic. I am sure he would have liked to have kept every campaign promise. But what politician can? Does that make him a bad person or a liar? When ppl realize he wasn't this great savior they envisioned him to be but only a mere mortal they are shattered. IMO, it was foolish to expect more of him. He is doing what he can in a failed economy with a divided party fighting him almost every step of the way. And of course the GOP looking to derail him at every turn. Could he have done some things better? Sure. But things also could have turned out a lot worse. And I think he still has much work to do and some surprises along the way. But meeting eveyone's personal agenda and timeline certainly isn't one of them. No matter how much they jump up and down or heckle. And some things may fall by the wayside or evolve. Its just the reality of politics. Offshore drilling is just one example.

Derek
This is a very measured response pointing out how even the president of the United States can not solve all the problems or rule in only a certain way. What irks me are the gay rights demonstrators anger that Obama hasn't declared an end to "don't ask\ don't tell." Didn't the president already announce to the military that he wants that policy dropped? In-fact, I really don't think there is much resistance by Republicans to expanding health benefits to gay couples. Last weekend, Obama made a presidential order allowed gay spouses total hospital visitation rights. Then one day later our president comes to Los Angeles & is bombarded with hecklers & people picketing.

I will agree that by not ending the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan, Obama did back away from his campaign promise. And immigration reform may need more time since both Democrats & Republicans have a variety of positions on border issues.

I would have loved to see the president while he was here but his speech was during a campaign stop for senator Boxer & only people who could pay $300 could get in. For the dinner it had to be 10X that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,379 posts, read 13,298,423 times
Reputation: 11697
Quote:
I would have loved to see the president while he was here but his speech was during a campaign stop for senator Boxer & only people who could pay $300 could get in. For the dinner it had to be 10X that much.
I heard it was something around 17K for dinner. I hope it was good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Lompoc,CA
1,260 posts, read 4,670,789 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
At last night's speech in Los Angeles, President Obama was interrupted several times during his speech by gay rights advocates. They complained that Obama has not done enough to assist the gay community. Also there were several anti-war & immigrate rights demonstrations against Obama in front of the museum where the president spoke.

"The initial minutes of his speech were interrupted by hecklers screaming that the president had not moved quickly enough to repeal "don't ask, don't tell," the Clinton-era rule governing gays in the military.

"It's time for equality for all Americans," one woman said.

Obama repeatedly told the protester that he and Boxer agreed.

"But let me say this, when you've got an ally like Barbara Boxer and you've got an ally like me who are standing for same thing, then you don't know exactly why you've got to holler because we already hear you," he responded. "It would have made more sense to holler that at the people who oppose it."

Obama visits L.A. to raise funds for Sen. Boxer - latimes.com

I was surprised that liberal groups even heckled the president. Don't you think that it was poor taste to demonstrate against the very president they voted for?

Poor taste...lol,they have NO taste. I hope he gets heckled right OUT of the white house next term. Blech.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 4,543,384 times
Reputation: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I heard it was something around 17K for dinner. I hope it was good!
I would guess that the US Taxpayers paid $2,000,000 to get Obama out here to raise $3,000,000 for Boxer.

As for the heckling, Obama is showing a real pattern of not listening to the constituents so I am not surprised he gets heckled wherever he goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:22 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,369,315 times
Reputation: 770
I know lots of progressive/leftist types who are ticked off at Obama, over issues like Afghanistan, oil drilling, and the lack of the public option to name a few, so I'm not surprised he's being heckled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
111 posts, read 124,444 times
Reputation: 82
Being the president sucks, you may mean well but Americans are so impatient no matter what you do, somebody will protest and be angry that you're not focused on them. Typical selfish, me me me behavior from both parties. Politics is a pathetic joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Location: USA
2,362 posts, read 2,564,316 times
Reputation: 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
This is a very measured response pointing out how even the president of the United States can not solve all the problems or rule in only a certain way. What irks me are the gay rights demonstrators anger that Obama hasn't declared an end to "don't ask\ don't tell." Didn't the president already announce to the military that he wants that policy dropped? In-fact, I really don't think there is much resistance by Republicans to expanding health benefits to gay couples. Last weekend, Obama made a presidential order allowed gay spouses total hospital visitation rights. Then one day later our president comes to Los Angeles & is bombarded with hecklers & people picketing.

I will agree that by not ending the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan, Obama did back away from his campaign promise. And immigration reform may need more time since both Democrats & Republicans have a variety of positions on border issues.

I would have loved to see the president while he was here but his speech was during a campaign stop for senator Boxer & only people who could pay $300 could get in. For the dinner it had to be 10X that much.
We are getting out of Iraq.

General: Withdrawal from Iraq on track - Washington Times

And Obama mentioned many times during his campaign that we need to pay more attention to Afghanistan, so I don't think he's broken any promises here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,561,515 times
Reputation: 5919
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I know lots of progressive/leftist types who are ticked off at Obama, over issues like Afghanistan, oil drilling, and the lack of the public option to name a few, so I'm not surprised he's being heckled.
Yes, alot of us are pi$$ed off that he's not liberal enough! And to the conservatives who are so used to being in lock step, they think that means we wanna get rid of him, or that it equals more support for them. Sorry, but it don't work that way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top