U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,467,993 times
That's great advice steel7.

Especially to an attorney.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM

15,120 posts, read 23,895,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Before you renew your drivers license & give the state 31.00 i suggest you talk to fighter1 on c-d. He drives all over the nation with no license & registration & has no problems (for the most part). Why not save yourself some money.
I think the state needs the $31.00 worse than I do.

This Fighter1 fella ... is he in the country legally???

Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's great advice steel7.

Especially to an attorney.
Really! I'm gonna risk my license to practice law - the very thing I make my living at - to save $31.00??? Risk losing everything I've spent my whole life working for to save a few bucks?

While I'm at it ... I could save a few thousand by stealing a car too!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 AM

2,685 posts, read 3,544,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Really! I'm gonna risk my license to practice law - the very thing I make my living at - to save $31.00??? Risk losing everything I've spent my whole life working for to save a few bucks?

While I'm at it ... I could save a few thousand by stealing a car too!
-The State Bar is watching you-

Man, the DMV isn't even the worst of California's state agencies. Compared to things like CalTrans (try driving on I-5 in the Central Valley), the DMV is blissfully efficient.

Now, if ALL CA agencies could be ran with the same type of organization and efficiency as the CHP, I think CA would be better off.....or maybe become a police state. Who knows!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM

18,305 posts, read 14,467,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
People drive cars in the Coachella Valley? I always thought the method of transportation was this:

http://www.golfcartresource.com/Index_files/golf%20cart.gif (broken link)

Man..I only wonder how much your car insurance is..considering all the nice old folks that live around there
LOL! That's a very large form of local transportation in our lakeside community. I never, in my wildest imaginings, thought I'd live in a golf cart community, and we don't even have a golf course nearby.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 PM

Oh yeah ... we have the golf cart brigade here too! In fact, every year they have this lame-ass thing called the "Golf Cart Parade" and for whatever reason, thousands of easily entertained spectators show up to watch it!

I actually get my kicks by running the golf carts off the road with my Hummer. Just kidding! (Don't have a Hummer)

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM

4,939 posts, read 6,332,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Before you renew your drivers license & give the state 31.00 i suggest you talk to fighter1 on c-d. He drives all over the nation with no license & registration & has no problems (for the most part). Why not save yourself some money.
Just how do you expect to find an insurance company that will sell liability coverage to an unlicensed driver and cover an unregistered car?

I don't understand the complaints about DMV.

They charge too much? Aren't the rates set by statute rather than DMV pencil pushers? I doubt the DMV gets to set their own rates.

It's a PITA to get service at their office? I joined AAA and get all the help I want from somebody who appreciates me because I paid my membership fees. And anyway I mail in my registration renewal with a check, no need to go to the office for that.

The only time you ever have to go into the DMV office is for a drivers license test. That is perhaps the one time you may have valid complaints.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,104,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've never had a problem at the DMV other than having to wait in line; Longest was about an hour and that was for a new driver's license including taking a written (only one wrong - didn't study at all), and getting new license plates. I had all my paperwork because I went online and prepared for the visit. This was the Thousand Oaks DMV.
I've never had a problem either. I use the Simi Valley DMV. Of course, I have a relative and a friend working there, so it speeds things up a bit

Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM

13,132 posts, read 23,443,330 times
The problem with DMV is the mistakes they make...

Several months ago, I received an official letter with penalties for not renewing my vehicle registration... it went on to say that my property in wages could be attached.

Here's the rub... not only did I pay my Registration early, I have my cancelled check and DMV sent me the renewal license tab and registration...

I called the DMV and was told to pay again to protect myself and then file for a refund... honest

The heck with that... I went to my assembly persons office and they found that a computer glitch caused almost 200 letters like the one I received to be sent...

I got a letter stating I was in good standing and apologizing for the computer error...

DMV never did anything other than advising me to pay twice... for my protection.

And... this is not the first time this has happened.

Another DMV gripe...

Paying to NOT USE your vehicle should be illegal... Non-Op fees are pure revenue enhancement as I heard attending a Sacramento Committee hearing.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM

8,267 posts, read 9,405,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Another DMV gripe...

Paying to NOT USE your vehicle should be illegal... Non-Op fees are pure revenue enhancement as I heard attending a Sacramento Committee hearing.
If you dont non op you end paying penalties big time. I didnt non op my Tbird & ill be getting their threating letters soon. My tags or non op were due on the 8th. Oh well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California