U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 AM

72 posts, read 191,397 times
Default lol

Too funny!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 12:45 PM

13,128 posts, read 23,424,760 times
The last thing U-Haul wants to do is pay to move trucks on their dime. Not only do they have the expense for fuel and vehicle wear and tear, they also have to pay wages.

It is very expensive to move large vehicles over long distances.

Not exactly a U-Haul story... There is a small company on the east coast that makes the best quality, aluminum frame (read Light Weight and Fuel Efficient) cargo trailers.

$1.54 per mile was the least expensive bid I received to move the trailer coast to coast. The freight just to deliver the trailer was nearly $3,000 and I would have had several thousand miles on my new trailer.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 PM

43 posts, read 128,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixjones View Post

Now are U-Haul trying to gouge Californians on their way out of the state? Or does California have a contract with them to keep prices low for those coming into the state? Or is it just that more people are fleeing the state than are moving in?

My hunch is the last theory, but it still chaps my hide... I also tried searching different destinations and they all came back the same... it's a lot more expensive to leave California than it is to come back, from a moving perspective anyway.
Not sure if you are being told the truth, because according to U-Haul themselves (via Curbed LA):

Who needs the Olympics?! Los Angeles just nabbed the #1 spot in the moving race, according to U-Haul. The study looked at the 1.62 million U-Haul transactions occurring between Jan.1 and Dec. 31, 2006. And Los Angeles was the most popular destination, followed by Houston and Atlanta! Hell yeah, we got moves! Sometimes we rent trucks, load up our stuff, and just drive around the block. Just for kicks. Chicago came in fourth! Couldn't even nab the bronze, Windy City suckas!

Curbed LA: Los Angeles Sweeps U-Haul Competition

Apparently SOMEONE wants to move here.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:56 PM

104 posts, read 314,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The last thing U-Haul wants to do is pay to move trucks on their dime. Not only do they have the expense for fuel and vehicle wear and tear, they also have to pay wages.

It is very expensive to move large vehicles over long distances.
I'm in agreement with you on this, which is why I stated that I would be happy with maybe 2x to 3x the cost to allow for paying somebody to drive the truck back (plus fuel costs).

5.5x on the other hand is just a tad excessive.
Obviously there's only $655 of wear and tear on a vehicle, at least on the destinations I searched, or they'd charge a higher price in the reverse direction.

I also don't think they'd have to bring a truck in from across the U.S.
Las Vegas is a very popular move-to destination at the moment, and it's only a few hours away from L.A. Plus there's also Oregon, that's only about 3-1/2 hours away from where I am.

And then there's Caliguy2007's assertion that U-Haul claims California is their #1 move-to destination, which, in my book, should mean that it should actually be cheaper to move out than to move in, due to the glut of trucks in the California market.

One way or another they're going to have to move their trucks empty, unless they can precisely match those moving out with those moving in... which is pretty much logistically impossible.

It's kind of a moot point now anyway, since I found a cheaper alternative, but since U-Haul is synonymous with 'moving', most people would tend to look there first... that's what I did.

Thanks for your input. I also agree that freight costs are getting astronomical, thanks to the surge in fuel prices.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM

104 posts, read 314,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMan View Post
Not sure if you are being told the truth, because according to U-Haul themselves (via Curbed LA):

[i]Who needs the Olympics?! Los Angeles just nabbed the #1 spot in the moving race, according to U-Haul. The study looked at the 1.62 million U-Haul transactions occurring between Jan.1 and Dec. 31, 2006. And Los Angeles was the most popular destination, followed by Houston and Atlanta!
Now that is quite telling... essentially the rate should be exactly the same in both directions, since Houston is the second-most popular destination, and Galveston is about an hour outside of Houston. So, technically, there should be an almost equal amount of trucks in California and Texas (except maybe a bit more in California).

Well, competition is good, and if Penske starts getting all the business because they're about 1/3 the cost of U-Haul, then that will force U-Haul to lower their rates eventually.

Thanks for the link and the info. I appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM

13,128 posts, read 23,424,760 times
I have always found U-Haul to be on the high side price wise...

Dear friends outside of Seattle were helping to move their daughter to SoCal and needed to rent a trailer for the daughters belongings.

They had planned on renting the number of days it would take to travel round trip and were very surprised to learn they could rent the trailer for less than $100, one-way, Seattle to LA or pay close to $400 round trip... realizing that they would have one additional day rent going the round trip route... quite a difference as Graffixjones pointed out.

U-Haul is known for their pioneering work in Logistics. They were one of the first rental companies to develop computer reservation based on demand pricing. For years, U-Haul stats have been used by economic forecasters as a reliable way to tract US migration patterns.

No doubt about it, America is a nation of people on the move. Maybe that's why Americans are so fascinated with old Europe.

I worked in Austria right after college on a 6 month project and I was continually amazed to meet people with family going back hundreds of years in the same villages. It was not uncommon to find homes/farms owned by the same family for 500 years... and it would never occur to them to "Sell" the family homestead... passing the farm on to the next generation was looked upon as a sacred trust.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:06 PM

1,198 posts, read 284,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosobroke View Post
In the past three years I have lived in Northern Nevada and Colorado. In both places I have seen many new neighbors from California move in....just about 80% of them move back to California within the first 9 months. Can anyone tell me why that is? I moved from California 20 years ago because of the schools, smog, crime, traffic, and cost of living. I have found the grass is greener on the other side, so I don't know why so many move back....
A lot of them move back, because they miss the ocean. I would too. It's too damn dry here!!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM

217 posts, read 577,819 times
I missed where it was that it was only 655 to rent a truck to move in, but it's kind of disconcerting that they're charging that to move out. I guess if I moved to CA (from OH UHaul costs about 1600 for the smallest truck) and decided to move back I'd just do the bare minimum moving (which I'm already considering doing) with clothes and whatever fits in my car, or see about Penske...from here they're more expensive than UHaul but it looks like they'd be cheaper moving from CA.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM

18,946 posts, read 13,034,833 times
I have just recently moved to NC and love it!! At least so far. For me it really beats L.A. CA. The "ONLY" reason I can think of for ever moving back to CA. and I spent my entire life in CA would be family and friends. I do miss them terribly. I think this becomes a major issue for many who have moved from anywhere and so they return back to their original home. But to be able to afford to live in CA again would be almost impossible.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,924,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have just recently moved to NC and love it!! At least so far. For me it really beats L.A. CA. The "ONLY" reason I can think of for ever moving back to CA. and I spent my entire life in CA would be family and friends. I do miss them terribly. I think this becomes a major issue for many who have moved from anywhere and so they return back to their original home. But to be able to afford to live in CA again would be almost impossible.
From what I've read, people who move go through several stages on their path toward fully adjusting to their new environment. I think a lot of people move back during the darkest days of the "I miss my family and my old life. What the heck have I done?" stage and never make it to the happiness or at least contentment that lies beyond. That probably explains why a lot of people moving back do so after 6-12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California